Recommended Figma/ Revoltech figures

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Rattrap Primal, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord

I was thinking about starting to pick up some Figma and or Revoltech figures, but I don't know which ones I should start with. I figure these import figures cost less than Shinkis, and some of the more popular ones in Figma/ Revoltech I can actually find in stores that deal with import, while the Shinki Mainstays (Starf, Arnvel, etc) are hard to find nowadays

2. Dremare

Dremare Had an Epiphany

Get the Vocaloid Figmas. They are awesome.

3. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've got all the Fate/Stay Night Figmas released. Those are awesome. I also highly recommend Revoltech Dante, Vash & Wolfwood. Again, very awesome figures.

If you like Dragon Ball Z... there are some nice DBZ figures being released in the SH Figuarts line (which is very similar in design, size and style to Revoltech and Figma). Piccolo is very awesome and SS Goku is probably the best Goku figure I've ever owned personally. The Gohan that's supposed to get released this month is also a very cool toy as well.

Edit:

Couple of other Revoltechs I'd recommend are the Street Fighter Revoltechs (love my Ken and Ryu... shame they seem apparently done with the line before they made an Akuma/Gouki...). Also, the Fist of the North Star Revoltechs are cool and all of the Sci-Fi Revoltechs are just aces.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  4. shunquan

shunquan ACID STORMER

News Credits:
    The figma k-on figures, saber, touhou project figures are endless fun

Revoltech, try to pick up a yotsuba figure, Jack skellington is pretty cool with multiple heads, hands and its own base

5. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Some of the better Figmas are unfortunately a little difficult to get, as Max Factory doesn't seem to believe in re-issues in many cases.

My personal favorites -

- Figma Aigis
    [​IMG]

- Revoltech Vash the Stampede (new release, so should be easy to get)
    [​IMG]

No photos available from me, but still good figures -

- Revoltech Reycal Orichalcum (if you like Shinkis, she should be up your alley)
    - Figma Drossel
    - Figma Saber

6. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Figma anything and everything, really. Some of the best ones are the Nanoha figures, for their more action-oriented nature and their greater accessory counts (especially Signum). But in the end, just find one you like the looks of, and run with it. They're all great. Barring exclusives, I probably own a good 90% of the line's run.

I have a harder time recommending Revoltech. I wind up getting suckered into buying one every so often, and every single time I've wound up disappointed in some way. Too much reliance on the Revolver joints when standard joint technology would suffice results in some questionable design decisions. Mushier sculpts and sometimes too-soft PVC results in fused joints or floppiness, and just fussing around with the odd angles of the joints is just unnatural. The only one I've really enjoyed was Gurren Lagann. The joints on that one, at least, were fairly naturally placed, and movement was dynamic and intuitive. Meanwhile, just bought a handful of the Queen's Blade ones on a lark. Really wish I hadn't. They're not terrible by any means, but the aesthetic quirks of the line mar the "sexiness" that the franchise embraces head-on, and the figures themselves just feel wobbly. I'm hoping the Trigun figures I have in the mail turn out better, but I have a feeling that they'll just merely supplant the older Kaiyodo figures, more durable and dynamic to pose, but not much fun to actually really handle much.

7. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    I was surprised by how "conventional" my revoltech Vash felt, as far as revoltechs go. I'm not a huge fan of their joint system myself in many cases, but he's fairly easy to fiddle with for the most part. Despite all the crazy coat hinges and whatnot, the joints are all straight-line (and therefore mostly sensible), as opposed to the bizarre angled sculpted joints that Yamaguchi is famous for. It wasn't all the difficult to get Vash to stand up straight without the use of a base, even with his long legs and body. The only oddness is that he can't actually put his arms down against his sides. :p 

8. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

If you want something a little more monstrous, take a look at the Sci-Fi/Tokusatsu Revoltechs. I would especially recommend Alien (don't have him, but the detail is exquisite) and Gyaos (giant winged monster and truly great bang for your buck). Baragon and Gamera are also great, but you might find Gamera too small. I personally think he's alright but barely out-of-scale compared to his rival Gyaos.

[​IMG]
    Baragon comes with a house, a horse, and trees. Chunk not included.

[​IMG]
    Gyaos comes with a nice new Revoltech base, suitable for flight poses or displaying the not-pictured tiny Gyaos.

Gamera is shown with optional fireball and "rockets" in legs deployed.

9. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    That's good to hear. As posable as Revoltech are supposed to be, I'm always amazed at just how many times I've had to fight with them to get them to do what I want them to do, only to give up. Often, it's the case of terrible ankle joint angles (hello, Saber), but sometimes, just the angles of the joints make it frustrating to achieve even basic ranges of motion (Saber's hips).

In a way, I almost prefer Kaiyodo's older mono-shaft figures. At least with them, I held no illusion that they would be fully poseable, but especially with their older Trigun set, the bizarre articulation that they did have was always thoughtfully arranged in a way such that virtually any minor manipulation of a joint resulted in a very dynamic pose (the best example of this being Gazelle the Peacemaker, IMO). Revoltech are essentially like this, but with more wrestling of tinier parts, ultimately resulting in a frustrating experience.

10. red4

red4 Banned

I wish Figma would release solid Archetypes, because anything translucent is prone to cracks.

11. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    Not that the Archetypes are meant for general consumption, anyways...

Although I wish they did sell the blanks, for custom fodder. In the meantime, I've had to settle for Sakura Hime and Juohmaru. Which actually work quite well for what I had planned, anyways.