Customs: Recommended Dremel Tool

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Computer5, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Computer5

Computer5 Well-Known Member

Hey, I am in the market for my first Dremel Rotary Tool. What model and/or accessories do you recommend? I know i want to get a corded one for Sanding and Cutting. I originally was thinking about getting the Dremel Stylus, but now that I think about it, I think i should get a standard one that I can use for a few years until i get better. What do you guys think?

2. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I have a battery powered craftsman rotary tool that has served its purpose for over ten years now, but I'll probably be getting a Dremel 400 or 300, they go to up 35000 rpm and have more than just two settings for speed.

3. Sabrina_Ng

Sabrina_Ng La Femme Fatale

Ebay:
    I say get a Dremel Stylus. It's slightly pricier but it has served me very well. :) 

4. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Dremel Stylus--I got one a while back at Target for about $60-something on sale (last one they had). Hasn't failed me yet and I've used it on customs, home repairs, and everything else you can think of.

5. Computer5

Does the Dremel Stylus come corded? If not, how's the battery life and recharge rate?

6. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    the stylus battery life is weak. I prefer the larger cordless one. you'll get twice as much batt. life. each charge.

7. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Ah, FR, what larger cordless one?

I personally use the Stylus, don't think i'll need anything bigger unless i start renovating or something. Works perfectly fine for customs.

Anyways, i just keep the stand/charger close by, and stick it back in there whenever i'm not using it.

As a warning, the stylus, afaik, doesn't come with any cutting discs, i ended up buying a separate accessory set just for the cutting discs and mandrels.

8. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    This is the one I use. for heavy duty jobs and long time usage it does circles around my stylus (which is also neat for minor stuff) but typically, I am using this guy 90% of the time.

[​IMG]

9. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Ah, i see. Although, i still prefer the grip on the stylus over the others.

10. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I got a set for $17 on clearance :D  Weaker or not, mine was cheap :) 

11. hXcpunk23

Ebay:
    ARGHHH! I can't knock it though--that's a great price point, man.

And yes, I could care less if the Dremel Stylus is considered "weaker", it does the jobs I need it to, it has an better grip/handle, and it allows for more precision work. I have a heavy duty DEWALT drill w/rechargeable battery packs if I need to do anything heavy around the home or with any custom work.

12. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Yeah, I've got another for "heavy duty" jobs, but honestly, the more and more I use what I have, the less I need the other. :) 

13. kaotic504

kaotic504 Well-Known Member

get a full size dremel, the 300 or XPR 400. and get the flex shaft attachment. a lot of nail shops use dremel-like tools and that kind of attachment. it should give you more control. you can hang the dremel off your work bench and use the flex shaft.

14. Computer5

Thanks for the great replies. I think I may lean towards the stylus at this point (If i can find a good price). I know Frenzy_Rumble said he uses the larger cordless model, but I don't think i would ever be as good as him or use it as much as him either.

New Question - Do you guys have a recommended Vise Grip? I don't have a workbrench, so I'm thinking something on the lighter scale....

Maybe something like this?
    http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-2500-01-Rotary-Tool-Multi-Vise/dp/B000P4W3LU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1248018965&sr=8-1

15. Optimist_Prime

Optimist_Prime The Original Optimist!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have both the Stylus and the XPR 400. I can safely say both are useful in their own right. I like the stylus for it's compact size, and it's "Star Trek phaser" like pistol grip. Yes, the battery life could be better, but for small jobs you can make it last a week tops.

I like the XPR 400 because there are no power issues, it's a little more powerful, and there a bunch of useful add ons. The only issue I've had w/ the XPR is it's a little big, and sometimes I can't get quite where I need to.

I also have the Multi-Vise. I would recommend it. The rubber grips are soft enough to protect most any projects. It also doubles as a dremel holder so when you have those times where you need fine sanding, ect... this is perfect.

16. Computer5

Can someone recommend what accessory set i should get for sanding/ cutting plastic? Earlier posts stated that the dremel stylus doesn't come w/ a cutting blade.

17. hXcpunk23

Ebay:
    The Dremel Stylus I purchased came with a starter pack (though I already had an old Dremel from back in 2002/2003, so I already had TONS of bits and cutting wheels for it). The starter pack had some cutting wheels, sanding wheels, and some small bits (can't remember exactly all it came with since I just added it to my collection).

I'd recommend getting the regular cut-off wheels, maybe some sanding wheels, some of the heavier cut-off wheels, and some diamond cutting wheels (if you plan to cut through some die-cast metal). Just look for a collection of bits that has most of what you need to get you started, then pick up the odds and ends you didn't get with that set. Home Depot has a pretty huge selection of Dremel tools, accessories, and every type of bit you can think of (just make sure it's compatible with the Stylus--most things are, but some aren't--another thing you should purchase is the keyless chuck for it--it allows you to change out bits and wheels much faster).

Here's a link to a set that would be great to help get you started out with it: Dremel 150 Piece Accessory Kit - Wal-Mart

18. MacrossFA19

MacrossFA19 That son of a bitch!!!

Ebay:
    I have and use three dremels. The one F_R pictured, the stylus, and the corded 300. I mostly use the stylus. It easier to use because I find I don't have to balance all the weight of the battery from the rear of the tool over my wrist. It's also just as versatile for positioning as any other dremel, and no cord gets in the way. It also has a speed setting (1-10) for cutting plastic, or damned metal post. The other dremel, like i mentioned has all the weight on the rear of the tool, one slip and sh^#*. I mainly use that when the stylus needs recharging. The 300 I mainly use use the other two are deaf, or I need more power, or will be cutting grinding for a long time.
    But if you are looking for the best, IMHO, get the stylus.

Mac

19. RodimusDawg

RodimusDawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This. I find myself having to charge my stylus style one a lot. I have had it for a while and used it a considerable amount but not enough for my battery to start conking out on me. I at first thought oh maybe the batteries memory is screwed but after reading this thread I can only recommend something better than what I have.

20. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    I feel so inadequate! I have a cheap 'ol Harbor Freight special. $7.00 WITH about 50 attachments, I don't think it breaks 15,000 RPM! :eek: 

Although truth be told, I use non powered hand tools 99% of the time.:D