Recommendations for Digital Camcorder

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MegaPrime33, Dec 11, 2006.

1. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

Since hearing the news that my wife and I will be having a baby, we decided to upgrade our imaging technology and was thinking of getting a digital camcorder. Can anyone here recommend any that are good? I don't really know too much about them, and I'm only now starting to research it. Any help would be great!

2. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

I bought a Sony Handycam HC-30 MiniDV camcorder about 2.5 years ago. My only gripe is that the still pictures it takes are only 640x480 and they are fairly low in color quality. Otherwise, I'm really happy with it. I got the long-life lithium battery with it (for an extra $100) and I can get a solid 200+ minutes of recording time out of a full charge. Plus, the little camera fits in my pants pocket!

I'm sure some aspects of the technology have grown by leaps and bounds over the past couple years, so you'll obviously want to shop around. I recommend paying particularly close attention to the quality of the still images that it takes...you're sure to use that option. Hope this helps!

3. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    We also purchased when we heard a baby was on the way!

I definitely wanted much higher resolution on stills than what is possible on the digital camcorders. I knew ahead of time I wouldn't be using that feature at all, so it didn't factor into my decision (although fschuler's point is a very good one - if getting stills on the digicam is important to you, don't forget to investigate that).

My biggest recommendation is to check out Sam's or Costco and look for their specials/sales. We went with a JVC GR-D290U miniDV digicam and a Minolta X50 for the stills. Granted, these models are a few years old now, but they've stood up to some serious use/punishment, and we've been 100% satisfied with the results. Don't pay extra for the bells and whistles (or the big brand names) unless that's important to you.

4. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

Well we already have a pretty good digital camera so I wouldn't be using it for that, just video. I'll definitely check out Costco and see what kind of deals they have. A lot of people have suggest Sony handycams to me but the reviews for most of them on cnet weren't all that great.

5. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

I will admit that the color saturation in the finished video does leave something to be desired...