Customs: Recommend some paint markers to me

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Optimus1138, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Minecraft Addict

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I want some paint markers for minor TF customizing. I got some Craft Smart ones, but I read some reviews of them online, and they don't sound too good. Could someone recommend some brands to me? I want ones that look good with few (preferably one) coat(s), don't fade, and won't easily rub off.

2. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I don't recommend paint markers. However, if you're intent on using them, I'd recommend looking for some that are acrylic based.

With what you're looking for ("look good with few (preferably one) coat(s), don't fade, and won't easily rub off"), you're much better off learning how to paint.

Typically when I see people wanting to use markers, it just seems like a cop-out of learning how to paint. I'm certainly not saying this is the case with you, but if it is, I strongly encourage you to use this as an opportunity to learn something new :) 

3. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    I use Elmers. You can find them at Walmart. They're not as good as paint, but I like having them at my job to do some detailing there when I get the chance. They're much quicker and easier to work with. I couldn't use paints and a brush at work, and don't get all that much time to paint at home...

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  4. Optimus1138

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^I'll look into the Elmer's ones.

I do realize that learning to actually paint would be better, but I can't/don't want to for several reasons. For one thing, when I have tried it, I don't like it (my brushes frayed easily, and it was hard to control where paint went). Also, it takes a lot more time (which I don't have much of), and having two cats in my house limits where I can do it, since I don't want them getting into my paints.

5. hthrun

Ebay:
    Yeah, it's supposed to be a fun hobby, so if you don't enjoy painting you shouldn't bother with it. But if you like the paint markers, go for it!

6. OmarJT82

OmarJT82 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Are there any (black) paint markers out there that have fine points and that work well on Loctite Repair Putty? :confused: 

7. Optimus1138

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, I've been thinking a bit more, and I think I'll give painting a try one more time before I give up on it completely. I still might end up getting a few paint markers to do fine details, though.

8. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i have gotten paint markers in the past and sucked. they dont seem to like plastic that much as they dont allow for a lot of paint to freely come out and some require pushing down to get any, then if too much comes out your kind of screwed, maybe i got shitty kinds but i got them from an art store and were pretty pricey. they also were just a heavy paint and tacky.

9. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    After paint from the paint markers dry, I strongly recommend applying a good, thin coat of Future on top. As Deceptigar says, the application doesn't adhere nearly as well.

10. vm-01

vm-01 Well-Known Member

I have a pending experiment using gundam markers but I just haven't gotten around to it.

If you don't want the paint to rub off you can give it a coat of future floor polish when you're done.

You may also have had problems thinning down the paint. Since the paint markers have the thinner mixed in you can try emptying the paint from the pens in a small container and use it with a brush for larger parts.

11. hthrun

Ebay:
    This is good advice. I'll often see some of my paint marker applications chip away after a while...