Recommend some graphic novels

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by CyberShadow, Sep 17, 2009.

1. CyberShadow

CyberShadow Wheeljacks Lab

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I have been a part-time comic fan for a while, and was looking at some TF comics. But, there is a confusing number of series out there.

I am old enough to remember the first TF comic series, and in the UK - so I want something that I can find easily in this country.

I am looking for both a one-off graphic novel and a running comic series. I have not bought any since the original series, so I want something that doesnt rely on loads of past background storyline, and I want to jump in at the start of a series and not just half way through and have to catch up.

Does the up-coming IDW line give me what I am looking for as a running series, and if not can anyone suggest something that does. Also, what are the essential graphic novel collections that I should get. I want something with 'grown up', gritty and interesting storylines beyond bright colours and fist fighting, and drawn well.

Any suggestions of 'stand alone' books or comic series that have just got started would be gratefully received.

Thanks.

2. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Well, there's Transformers: War Within. It's unfinished work started by Dreamwave, but IDW has reprinted what stories were already done in two TPBs, and it's a really good story as to the events that took place during the civil war on Cybertron. I definitely recommend it.

3. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Titan have released the UK run of comics in TPB, start off with Target 2006 and go on from there.

Also, for the US stuff, All Fall Down and End of the Road are actually good ones to start with, even though they cover the last issues of the US comic run.

4. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    This'll probably get moved to the comic forum, so if you miss it here, check there.

For an ongoign series, why not go back and read the entirety of the G1 comic series? Its cheesy at times, but, as was said earlier, thelatter part of it was really good. If you're interested in 90s grimdark violence bots, check out the G2 continuation arc. Again, available through Titan books, as well as IDWs reprintings, which are sadly, incomplete.

Stormbringer by IDW was really good, the Dreamwave stuff was good too, what about the DW Gi Joe vs. Transformers mini-series set in WW2?

5. Shockscream

Shockscream Chairman of Nerd Day

News Credits:
    As TRANS+CRAZY said the War Within series is really rather good. IDW put out an omnibus of the first two (and only) complete series not long ago. The IDW series is definitely worth a look. I bought one of the Spotlight TPBs on the off chance and ended scouring Amazon to make sure I had all of the IDW stuff. The -ations and Stormbringer are all brilliant and Maximum Dinobots and AHM (despite its drawbracks) are well worth a read.

6. CyberShadow

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    War Within sounds a great place to start. How many collected books are there, two? I will see if I can track them down.

I am not sure if I want to go back to the UK original series... I remember liking it a lot, and I dont want to find that it was actually really bad! :wink: 

I am also not a fan of the crossover stuff, as I never got into things like GI Joe.

Many thanks for the suggestions. I will see what I can track down.

And, I apologise to the mods, I didnt know that there was a comics sub-forum here.

7. foxfan352

foxfan352 Well-Known Member

not that I read it but universe sounds pretty cool

8. CyberShadow

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Looking around, I find this:

Transformers: War Within Omnibus Transformers Omnibus: Amazon.co.uk: Don Figueroa, Simon Furman: Books

There is also the Dark Ages:

Transformers: War Within Volume 2 the Dark Ages - £10.34 : Forbidden Planet International, Your Online Entertainment Superstore for Star Wars, Doctor Who, Star Trek and more

Is this the second book in the series?

Wikipedia also has a third book - The Age of Wrath, but I cant seem to find that online... I guess that this would be the third book (and final, so far).

Is all of this correct?
    Thanks.

9. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    BTW, the UK stuff is still awesome.

10. Shockscream

Shockscream Chairman of Nerd Day

News Credits:
    CyberShadow, The Dark Ages is the second miniseries. The IDW collects series one and two. The Age of Wrath was never completed when Dreamwave went under. You can sometimes find copies of the first three issues (which were released before the company folded) on eBay.

11. CyberShadow

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Many thanks. So, the Omnibus contains everything except these three issues from the third series that was never completed?

12. Rhapsody_Prime

Rhapsody_Prime ...such Heroic Nonsence.

The war within is an excellent read. I recently finished it and loved it!!
    I have also read the first trade of All Hail Megatron and it was well done as well.

End of Line

13. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    Exactly. Both vol. 1 and vol. 2 are very good. Great storyline.

If you like that, you may also want to track down IDW's Megatron: Origin. It's not perfect (and not nearly as good) but it's set in a similar timeframe, well before the war we all know. Even though it's technically not the same continuity, it was originally written to serve as a lead in to the events of the War Within and it still (mostly) seems to fit.

14. CyberShadow

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Thanks. I will start with War Within (ordered today) and work from there. Are most of the collected graphic novels stand alone story arcs, for example Maximum Dinobots?

15. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    Not really. They follow in a definite order from start to finish. The order goes Infiltration, Storm Bringer, Escalation, Devastation, [Revelation*] and Maximum Dinobots.

* Revelation is technically vol. 4 of the Spotlights and concludes several stories introduced there. It also follows chronologically from the end of Devastation... this is where IDWstarted getting really confusing...