Recommend me some video editing

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Seth Buzzard, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I'm starting to mess around with video and shot some stuff today I need to do some slight editing on. Only have Microsoft Movie Maker I used that and it took my nice 16:9 video and squeezed it into 4:3.

So now I'm looking for something that isn't going to do that. Anyone know of any decent, inexpensive if not free video editing software? I'm not looking to do anything to elaborate at this point, just cutting some clips together, maybe trimming bits out and the fade or wipe transition.

I googled around a little but don't know what's legit and whats a scam.

2. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I use Adobe Premiere, so that would be my suggestion. Cheap however, it is not, sorry sir. You could always look into one of the "Elements" versions, but there'll probably a better suggestion from someone else.

3. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not really because for that kind of work, I would suggest Premiere or Final Cut. Even in their Learning Edition form, they should be able to provide what you need. But yeah, they aren't cheap.

4. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

there's a widescreen setting in windows movie maker somewhere if you get stuck with it. had the same problem myself a while back.

5. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    Honestly you're not going to find anything free or even cheap that'll work well with 16:9 video. Even Premiere and Final Cut still have farts when working with HD and the like unless you're going with the pro or prosumer versions. If you're looking to do something quick in 16:9 I would suggest doing all your editing in Windows Movie Maker and export it to an .AVi or some other uncompressed format. Then you can download Microsoft's Windows Media Encoder (I think the newest is v.9). This sucker will let you "cheat" the 4:3 back into 16:9 with a couple tweaks in the custom mode.

6. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i think when you opt to "publish movie", you get choices to burn it to the computer or to dvd.
    (I always save to computer, just to proofread the finished job.) but in there, you can choose the quality or size of the movie and one option is widescreen.

I think WMM is about the cheapest and no frills editor you will get.

7. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Oh well I was hoping there was some open source GIMP equivalent out there. I'll play around with WMM some time but what I ended up doing was just re-shooting the video. Best part is I still left something out, but it wasn't anything to important.

8. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

What about that Vegas video or whatever it's called, the software that was used to make the TFW member vids. Jux kept recommending it

Ive been wanting to get into video editing too, so much stuff to splice up.
    May give Ops_was_a_truck_before_he_got_married_and_left a pm, he's gotten good at it