Recommend me a 1/55 valk

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Soundblaster1, Sep 2, 2006.

1. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Just like the title says... I'm looking for a 1/55 valk, but since I'm a novice to all things valk, I figured I'd ask here. Fast packs and add-ons aren't necessary, but I would like it if the fast packs were included.

I was thinking 1/55 because the price seems alright, and G1 Jetfire is 1/55.

I did look into 1/48's, but they did seem kind of expensive for my tastes.

The only valk I have is a 1/100 Banpresto... I think I put it in a box somewhere in hopes of forgetting it...

2. Zero Prime

Zero Prime Windows user no more

3. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    You really cant go wrong with any of them really. I have the I. Ichiko VF-1J and have always liked it and would never part with it. Wile not nearly as good as the 1/48 Yamoto's by any means, for the price you still get a really good toy. I would go with the 1J over the 1A personally as I have never cared for the skull and crossbones look on the Valks but I would definitely go with one of those two for sure depending on which one you like better. There's also the brown 1A as well.

Like I said its all good really, and for the price these things go for its a great buy all around and a good introduction into the Valk's and Macross, or for those just looking to dabble and test the waters a bit.

4. Soundblaster1

News Credits:
    Image Anime has the Brown Production for $35. Is it worth buying, or should I hold out for something different?

And how are the 1/55s in terms of articulation? I was reading the other thread and it got me a bit concerned...

5. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

1/55s from Bandai are, literally, the mold used for Jetfire. There is decentish arm articulation, and the knees bend and the hip area moves forward a bit. That's it. It's a twenty plus year old mold. To be fair, it was the best of the best of transforming toys for that time, but it's still a twenty-plus year old mold, and won't look that impressive standing next to modern toys.

The 1/48s from Yammie are expensive, but they are also modern designs. So it's really a matter of whether you're going for nostalgia, or modern. I have several 1/55s around and they are great toys for the nostalgia factor, and their sturdiness. You couldn't break those things with a hammer. But I treasure my 1/48 above all of them. I'd even be torn if I had to choose between a 1/55 and a Yammie 1/60th where you have to remove the legs to transform. I like modern toys and posability a lot. If posing means a lot to you, you may want to reconsider. I'd hate to talk you out of buying a 1/55, because it is one of the best toys made at that time, and still stands up well. But it isn't posable. And it isn't a modern toy.

Good luck on your decision.

6. Soundblaster1

News Credits:
    Thank you, Night Flame.

Can anyone tell me about these?

7. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I got the $35 Brown Production and Night Flame hit it on the head describing the articulation and there sturdiness. It just feels solid. I got it for the nostalgia and low price and for that I got my moneys worth but now I have a hunger for more and better.

8. Chaos Incarnate

Chaos Incarnate Not just a name.

News Credits:
    Soundblaster1, I'm looking at that listing, and I'm actually a little leery of it. I mean, originally three valks were made for that series, the Fire, Blazer, and Stealth. A couple years ago, the Fire and Stealth got reissued, but not in those old boxes. So, this auction is for a Fire AND a Blazer in old-style boxes (supposed to be vintage), but for only $36? Fishy. I know a vintage Blazer is worth more, but I can't check that price, as EVERY listing for Blazer Valkyrie on eBay is that seller.

SO, either they got a hold of a rediculous amount of vintage valks in vintage boxes, OR, it's bootleg. Now, I don't have anything against bootlegs, I just hate for someone to buy fake expecting real. Ask them before you buy.

9. Zero Prime

Zero Prime Windows user no more

Those are KOs

10. Kupp

Kupp Ford Fanboy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    He is not 1/55 but I really want to get this one: http://store.imageanime.com/maplyfva1p.html

But seeing that VF-1A I may just grab that one. I would love to start collecting Macross valks, even though I have yet to watch the series. The toys just look to god damned cool.

11. Soundblaster1

News Credits:
    Well, It looks like I'll be straying away from the Fire and Blazer set, then.

Thanks to everyone for their help.