recommend identification guide

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by mweeuser, Aug 13, 2009.

1. mweeuser

mweeuser Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I find myself going to Fred's workshop, transformerland, tfu.info, etc on a regular basis and know a lot of the variants of g1 and stuff by heart but would like a book with detailed photos including variants and accessory pics. I'm curious what recommendations or warnings people have about all the guides out there. Do any of them have variant info like stamping or diaclone holdover stuff (ala fred's workshop)? My focus is on G1. Thanks for any info on this!

2. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
  3. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

4. joopsta

joopsta loves Animated

News Credits:
    Mark Bellomo is nice, but the photos are not alwaus bright and sharp. If you want tight photos you best take the Japanese guide from a few years ago. I like that one better. Although everything is in Japanese. But the photos are a lot better.

5. ryanuhl

ryanuhl Active Member

6. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  7. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    This is the "Transformers Generations" containing practically all G1s and G2s including Euro/Japan exclusives. I use it a lot, but it is sometimes hard to get an accurate accessory list out of it, missile counts for example. Bellomo's book has clear pics of all the accessories but has no mention of the Euro/Japan exclusives. Expect to pay from $60 to $120 for an original "Generations" book (that is if you can actually find one) as it has been out of print for a while now.

8. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I quite liked the Trans Manuals (I think that's what they were called). I've not looked at mine (two volumes, I think - photo of TF parts on the first cover and some artwork of Unicron on the second) for a while but I vaguely remember they showed quite a few interesting toy bits.

9. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bellomo's book is definitely the best all-round (taking into account information, photos, availability, value etc) guide to G1 toys that's for sure.

10. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I own all the guides out there, and unfortunately, no one guide has everything. When it comes to sharp, stunning pictures in beautiful colors, nothing can touch the Generations book from 5-6 years ago. The down side is, it's entirely in Japanese and while accessories and weapons are pictured, they're not laid out for identification purposes. Still, this remains BY FAR my favorite of the books. The Deluxe version contains the same pictures and some extra concept sketches.

RECOMMEND (in this order)

1. Transformers Generations (2001) - sharp, stunning pictures, all Japanese

2. Cybertronians and Cybertronian Index - expensive and hard to track down, but incredibly meticulous details included

3. Beast Wars Transformers Unofficial Guide - the only book of its kind out there

4. Transformers First Series Complete - all Japanese writing, beautiful pics

5. Unofficial Guide to Japanese and International Transformers

6. Transmanuals Vol. 1&2 - great for ID'ing parts, but photos not as crisp and some toys in photos not in perfect condition

7. Bellomo's Transformers Identification and Price Guide - good because it's readily available, but blurry, overlit pictures and sometimes dusty, non-mint toys & price guide is a waste

DON'T RECOMMEND

Unofficial Guide to Transformers [Alvarez] (a good book, but not 100% complete)
    The DK "Ultimate Guides" (some toy pictures, but only a few)
    The Generations 2009 books (beautiful but poorly organized)
    Visualworks (an art book, not a guide which I didn't know until after buying it)
    Warman's Field Guide (ok, but not good for parts ref)