Recommend a Reader?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Prowl, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wanted to get back into reading and I have absolutely no freakin' clue about these readers. So my choices are obviously, the Kindle, the Sony Reader, and the Barnes and Nobles one. I don't know much about them, but upon glancing at the sites for each, I noticed the Sony one plays MP3s, but I feel like the Amazon one would have access to more content (but that's without anything to back that). Truth be told, they both are up to date on Drizzt books, which is all I care about. But the kindle has a compatible app on my iPhone, which I won't use much, but it might be good for continuing a book while I'm on the toilet. The Barnes and Nobles is probably my last choice.

Anyone use these on a regular basis?

2. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Barnes and Noble is coming out with a color e-Reader. The Nook Color. Plays MP3's, videos, webs browses and has a really nice looking reader. This one thoroughly piqued my interest.

3. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    A friend of mine has the Nook (the B&W one) and he loves it.
    That's really my only exposure to them.

4. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ok, so now I am reconsidering that. But, does it read stuff I buy from Amazon, or do I have to use the B&N store. I thought Barnes was going outta business. That's part of the reason why I lean towards the Kindle, because of its potential for staying.

But damn, with color, I wonder if eventually I can buy comics on it.

5. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Kindle is the best reader out there. I've tried a few, and nothing tops the Kindle.

A reader should be a reader, that's it. No MP3 playback, no games, no internet browsing.

Kindle has an iPhone app as well. I read on my Kindle at home, and pick up where I left off on my phone in the crapper at work, everything syncing automagically. The Kindle has the largest and best selection of books, and if you have your own content already there are plenty of ways to convert and get it onto your Kindle for free.

6. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I remember hearing they may be thinking about bankruptcy, but I doubt they will be going out of business any time soon. I do not believe it will read Kindle files. Comics are likely an inevitability, if not working right out of the box. It has support for Apps, and they are actively courting developers now (it runs on Android so it won't be too hard). Here's some more on it:

Nook Color: Barnes & Noble's Full-Color Tablet With Apps, Mags and Books for $250

7. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Personally, I'm going to simply wait and get a good Android tablet (probably in another year or so). Then just download the eReader apps via that. I'm not dying for an eReader, but am not against having a reader app on a nice large tablet.

8. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree, save for music. I read with music, without fail, so while I don't need games or anything like that, having a music application definitely sways my choices. Internet browsing, not so much. But if I was looking to buy a book and wanted to research it, doing so from the same piece of hardware would be a benefit.

I do agree about the phone thing, because I have kindle on my phone, and having the option to migrate a book to something that you have with you all the time is a major plus.

The B&N one sounds great, especially if I can read my TF comics on it in color. But by looking at it in action, I'd almost be better off buying an iPad and a kindle app.

9. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm actually getting a nook for christmas.

10. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

is it just software that keeps an ipad from doing all of the things these readers do? I can't imagine buying ANOTHER piece of hardware is really necessary to read pages, when we already do that sort of thing on smart phones/ipads/tablet pcs.

11. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    I would go with a Kindle. I've only had first hand experience with the Kindle and a Sony reader, but the Kindle was nearly perfect. Also, you can use any number of available management software (like Calibre) to convert different formats.

No, not really. An e-reader uses a different technology for its screen. This makes it akin to a physical book (as it uses ambient light) and much easier on the eyes than staring at a backlit LCD screen. (Therefore, much easier to read for long periods of time.)

12. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'd go with iPad. Not one of your choices, but it does all you want and then some. It has iBooks, a Kindle app, and the Barnes & Noble app. I bought my iPad this summer when I already had a Kindle, and now I don't even know where my Kindle is. Drop the extra cash and get the iPad. You won't be disappointed.

13. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I was in the whole meh-i'll-wait-for-sensibly-priced-tablets camp, but I had a go at the newest Kindle the other day and its much better then reading on either an LCD screen or an actual paper copy for novels and other all-text stuff.

I'm inclined to wait for colour and a bigger size so I can use it for other types of books as well, but I have every intention on having both an e-paper device and a tablet at some point in the future.

14. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Wife has had Kindle 1 and 2. Both VERY nice. Best part is the superior read-ability of the screen and the "liquid ink" display. The ability to take notes, and highlight portions of text too. Great value, we both love Kindle.

15. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I do want an ipad at some point, but the reality is that reading on a bright screen does wear on you after a while. I love that these things literally look like pages on a book and don't strain on your eyes.

So, I decided to go with the Sony. Not by choice, but because I think that's what my fiance bought me for my birthday. Initially, my idea to get one of these was while walking through the Sony store, so I never conveyed to her that I was browsing through the other ones, so when I asked her last night if I should buy the new Drizzt book on the kindle, she said, "Why don't you wait a few days before buying any digital books." It's not a big deal, I looked it up a bit more, and the Sony one doesn't only have one format, and I like that it has the music app in it, because I love music with my reading. I also read that they will have an iPhone app, which was a huge deal for me... you know... shitter reading.