Recommend a movie thread

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by smkspy, May 8, 2009.

1. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I just finished The Island (1980) with Michael Caine on HBO this morning(thank you final paper for keeping me up all night):popcorn . I probably never would have seen this since its not on DVD and this probably would have been the only airing ever knowing HBO who can't ever air are really good movie more than once. What a badass movie I must say. I was blown away by everything in this film even the now cheesy 80s pirate radiing music.

Here is the wiki I'm a little too tired to type up a summary, but I will say that the my favorite parts were his being brainwashed by the pirates and their raids on coke dealer and coast guard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Island_(1980_film)

So, it got me thinking what are some great "rare" movie can we recommend to each other. I'm not talking about the usual staple of comic movies, modern popular cult movies like Bubba Ho-Tep or Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, or even the usual staple of scifi/horror films. I want to hear about those great films that aren't necessarily cult-status or even have a mass appeal, but great nonetheless people would actuallymight not know about like The Dunwich Horror or maybe even Thursday.

Edit: please forgive errors as I've had no sleep.

2. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Hiroshi Inagaki's Chushingura. One of the finest samurai flicks ever made - a stirring tale of loyalty and perseverance.

3. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Probably outside the norm for most of the members of this board, but a good one to watch with your wife/girl and safe for the kids, too... The Man From Snowy River.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_from_Snowy_River_(1982_film)

Incredible Australian footage, great story, amazing horse scenes, terrific score, Kirk Douglas playing two roles... it's got a love story for the wife, but enough fight/action sequences to keep me entertained as well. :lol 

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  4. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    Bon Cop, Bad Cop. It was the highest grossing Canadian made film, and it's F*CKING HILARIOUS! and just all around really well done.

5. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

6. smkspy

Just 4 posts to fail and by an old-timer. Shame on you Hulk shame.:bay 

7. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    12 Angry Men, the really OLD one.

A Scanner Darkly

8. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

:lol 

9. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

I would highly recomment the original Sleuth with Lawrence Oliver and Michael Caine - the only movie ever to have its entire cast nominated for acting oscars.

10. realCliffjumper

realCliffjumper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wanna see!

I'd say Evolution. It is a brilliant twist on Alien invasion movies! And funny as heck.

11. Witwicky Camaro

Witwicky Camaro Sabbatical Is Required

News Credits:
    So is there a rule to how old the movie can be, what type of genre it has to be in as well? Does it have to be pre-1990s or 2000s, or just a movie that isn't exactly mainstream and well known (or even "Cult-status"-esque, as you mentioned before?)?

About three or four years ago (2006), I caught a bit of this film called Wendigo (2001) on SHOtime, but I never thought to stop and watch it despite knowing Jake Weber had starred in it. Anyways I finally rented the movie on Saturday (May 2nd, 2009) from Netflix, to see if I would like it or not. Anyways, its a "Horror" film based on the Native American legend of the "Wendigo", with a really low-budget; There's one moment where you can tell they throw a deer up on a car and its so obviously a dummy (especially when its legs move to indicate its unable to get off its back). I chuckled at that for a good minute.

Unfortunately there's very little real horror (not even a "jump scare") and the legend in question does not look at all like the Blade-II Esque creature for the Supernatual episode of the same name. Some of their attempts to scare the view is kinda laughable because it comes off as silly. However, it doesn't mean all is lost because of this; Its actually a nicely paced movie about a two parents trying to make time for their son outside their professions (Photographer and Therapist/Shrink), with the bad luck of crossing a tripper-happy country man who can't tell the difference between a accident and action done on purpouse. Anywhos, the acting starts off a little shaky a fist, but gets better as the film goes along.

12. smkspy

Good choice I was watching this on AMC the other night. I'll throw in I am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang based on autobiography of the same year (1932).

I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

13. smkspy

You hit the nail on the head. A perfect choice and a great film. I saw it once on IFC or something like that. A great film that wasn't especially scary, but it makes think about whether the Wendigo was real or all in the boy's head.

14. Witwicky Camaro

Witwicky Camaro Sabbatical Is Required

News Credits:
    Yes, exactly! Only... for some reason that thought didn't occur me until I watched it the second time 'round. :gen069: 

15. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

I have a few to recommend.

"M". M (1931) Old Peter Loree flick about a child murderer. Disturbingly brilliant. Fantastic acting.

"the Maltese Falcon". The Maltese Falcon (1941) Amazing film. You'll be riveted from beginning to end.

"Paper Moon". Paper Moon (1973) Dark comedy about a con man and his illegitimate child. Hilarious.

16. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    Any Chris Nolan film... namely Momento or The Prestige

Why wasn't he nominated for best director for Dark Knight last year?

17. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    my tastes in film may not be the same as most; i just want character, charm and wit.
    I have a short list of quirky movies that i adore or that moved me:

Repo Man
    Snatch
    Evil Dead
    Cool Hand Luke
    Hamburger Hill
    Requiem for a Heavyweight
    Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (Val Kilmer and Robert Downey Jr. at their best.)
    L.A. Confidential
    El Mariachi -the original
    Six String Samurai

i never can suggest just one.
    they aren't the greatest movies, i swear, but watching them is never a dull moment.

18. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

Indeed. Nolan was ripped off big time.

19. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Dead Poet's Society

The Warriors

20. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The Baxter [2005] - A romantic comedy for people that don't like romantic comedies. Great cast, good movie.