Fan Art: Recomended Art Colleges

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Dragon Girl, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Dragon Girl

Dragon Girl Well-Known Member

I want to know what colleges you all recomend for studying art, especially drawing. Which ones have you been to? Your friends and relatives? What were the pros and cons of the school? Any state.

I need to know because I am currently attending Eastern Michigan Unisversity and I don't think that this will help me any. I want to go to a real art school that can actually teach me something, and I figured that you all would probably have some sound advice

2. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    you might wanna try posting at the penciljack forums.

3. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

what do you want to go to school for, other then just art and drawing?

4. littleiron

littleiron Little I.N.S.A.N.E IroN

News Credits:
    What kind of particular art you want to study?

5. Longhaul53

Longhaul53 Guest

Some names off the top of my head:
    --Chicago Art institute
    --Savannah College of Art & Design
    --Ringling Bros. School of Art
    --Cleveland Institute of Art
    --Center for Creative Studies (Detroit-ish)
    --Art Center (Los Angeles)
    --Rhode Island School of Design
    --San Francisco Institute of Art
    --Fashion Institute of Technology (NYC)
    --Pratt Institute (Bronx NYC)

There are also "regular college" programs that are pretty good, i.e. University of Michigan, Indiana University, Notre Dame

Depends on what you can afford, and where you want to live, really. They are everywhere.

hope that helps.

6. Longhaul53

Longhaul53 Guest

To answer the rest of your questions... I have some friends that went to Cleveland Institute, University of Michigan, Chicago Art institute, Notre Dame, Art Center, Indiana, and Fashion Institute of Technology... Personally, i went to college to pursue Landscape architecture, but wound up graduating from Industrial design at Purdue (not a great art school)...

I now make a healthy living as a product designer in New England.

I think what i'm trying to say is that education is what you make of it, not so much what it makes of you. Going to "this or that" school might make a difference in the end.... I'm not saying it won't. But i also cannot say that it will make a difference... As an artist, you have to understand that only you can make the difference in your art, not what someone teaches you. Art theory , principles, techniques, and tricks only get you so far. It all comes down to vision in the end... that's something you cannot teach.

The institutes that i mentioned are highly competitive too... seriously competitive. Be prepared to lose a lot of sleep and be awed/depressed by the talent around you.

Best of luck, whatever you decide.
    ej.

7. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Savannh College of Art and design has also opened a new College in Atlanta.

Called Scad Atlanta. It's smaller and you have a better chance of getting a scholarship.

Both are extremly good schools, I have my undergrad from the one in savannah and I'm getting my masters at the one in atlanta.

The one in Savannah has every thing you could want and the one in atlanta is getting there but it's only been open a year. Though we did have spike lee come an lecture there.

8. Star Cracker

Star Cracker Well-Known Member

Dragon Girl - Yeah, I graduated from SCAD in May of this year. From my experience, I'm kind of mixed about the results because I switched to Interactive Design and Game Development when it was introduced in my Junior Year.

Looking back, I sorely wish that I had stayed in 3D Modeling and Animation, or at least had gone onto Visual Effects. So, my big advice to anyone in college is NOT to switch majors halfway through, especially one that has just been introduced and has loads of tweaking to do.

I can definitely say that I learned a lot at SCAD, but I felt that I didn't get as much out of it as I could have (again, that's mostly from switching majors). Most of the professors are pretty cool, though there are two that weren't so hot. Depending on what your interested in majoring, I could give you a breakdown on the pros and cons of each course I took.

Tekkaman Black - when did you graduate from SCAD and what major were you? (as well as how long it took to get established in your field), and what are you getting your masters in?

9. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I went to the Columbus College of Art and Design (Columbus, Ohio) myself. Did well for me.