Recomend me some good storylines

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by General Magnus, Jul 28, 2009.

1. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Ok, I´m reading GL and GLC, but I want to expand my comics. What do you recomend me from DC? And no Marvel, I really hate this new Dark Reign crap they are pulling.

2. Darkhawk79

Darkhawk79 TFWM SUCK!!!!!

News Credits:
    I always thought the Death of Superman stories were good....or basically anything with Superman and Doomsday going head to head

3. Super_Megatron

Super_Megatron Twitter: @Super_Megatron Administrator

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    All Star Superman was alright.

4. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I think you need to be more specific in your request. Are you asking for good stories currently being written or past good stories? Is GL/GLC your only DC reading experiences?

I'm probably in the minority here, but All-Star Batman and Robin. You just have to remember that it's a satirical version of the Batverse.

The Earth X Trilogy is quite awesome.
    Justice, Morrison's JLA, and John's JSA/ Hawkman/Flash if you like the JLA.

5. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Some friends of mine said the Outsiders books are quite good. Are they worth it?

6. TheGreatMrChibi

TheGreatMrChibi The tighter shirt.

Check out the Starman Omnibuses that DC has been putting out. Starman is one of the best comics I've ever read-- an 80 issue series composed with a distinct beginning, middle, and end. If you want a good story, this is it. The volumes themselves are a little pricey, but if you look around online you can find some significantly discounted prices. I highly recommend it.

Also, currently going on, try out the new Power Girl series and its lead in, the Terra miniseries. They've been really fun, and the art by Amanda Conner, is fan-tastic. Its funny, its sexy, its cute, and its just a really good "comic book" comic book.
    ...though, I am partial to the boobies.

OH! And go and get all the trades of the recent Blue Beetle comic. If you like Green Lanterns, its got the same kinda spacey flair, and Guy Gardner guests a couple times in it, but dude, its great. Blue Beetle is a really cool hero, and the book explores a lot of awesome aspects of becoming a responsible hero. Think Ultimate Spider-Man, but without all the soap-opera crap towards the end. Its super-fun, and what got me into comics. Do it!

7. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

Superman: Red Son, one of my all time favorite stories.
    JLA: Tower of Babel
    Haunted Knights, Long Halloween, Dark Victory, When in Rome; all in that order.
    The Golden Age

8. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just past storylines here, since GL and GLC are also the only things I read currently:

- Death and Return of Superman - The actual "death" part is a little weak (IMO), and there's also some weird stuff going on around the periphery (Luthor is a clone, Underworlders, Matrix-Supergirl, etc), but it's generally a very good story. I thought the "Funeral for a Friend" part was the best, along with the Cyborg Superman and Superboy focused issues. Also the trigger for Hal's fall and subsequent events in GL.
    - Final Night - A very well-written event in general, with an excellent 'final send-off' for Hal Jordan. The events of the story are basically meaningless now, but it's still a good read.
    - New Teen Titans: The Judas Contract
    - Batman: Long Hallowe'en
    - Batman: Vampire trilogy (Red Rain, Crimson Mist, Bloodstorm)
    - Crisis on Infinite Earths
    - JLA - The Morrison/Porter run. I wasn't too fond of their "World War III" arc, but the rest was excellent.
    - JLA: Tower of Babel
    - Gen 13, original series #43, 44 (IIRC) - Fun, somewhat obscure story where Fairchild faces off against a sentient pop song.
    - Ruins #1, 2 - Violating the "no Marvel" rule, but this one is too good to leave off. By Warren Ellis, shows a Marvel Universe where everything that could go wrong, did (I'll just say "giant tumor Hulk" and leave it at that). Only flaw is that the first issue, and half of the second, have grotesque, painted artwork and then it switches abruptly to a rather generic comic book style (which does not fit the tone at all) halfway through the second issue.

9. TheGreatMrChibi

TheGreatMrChibi The tighter shirt.

Another thought is to expand your horizons into some more indie ventures. Off the top of my head, some of the books that have grabbed me are Jeff Smith's Bone-- think a classic Disney cartoon crossed with Lord of the Rings; you can buy the gigantic collected edition for cheap and its totally worth it-- Brian Lee O'Malley's Scott Pilgrim-- going to be a movie directed by Edgar Wright, the dude who directed Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz; its... hard to describe, but mostly just awesome-- and Terry Moore's Strangers in Paradise-- a fantastic soap-opera type comic; you'd think you wouldn't like it, but Terry's amazing art and wonderful characterizations will pull you in.

10. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Since you like GL, if you've never read it before - Hard Traveling Heroes aka GL/GA vol 1 & 2 are classics that are awesome.

11. Lunar Archivist

Lunar Archivist Well-Known Member

I'll chime in with JLA: Tower of Babel but also its immediate follow-up, JLA: Divided We Fall. The latter is an excellent deconstruction of the individual Justice League members and the confrontation between Eel O'Brien and Bruce Wayne ranks among the best comic books scenes ever (for me, anyway).

12. DarthCrusher

DarthCrusher Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Track down Arkham Asylum: Living Hell. You won't be sorry.

Also, Justice League International.

13. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

Pick up Geoff Johns and Gary Frank's recent run on Action Comics. The word "excellent" doesn't do it justice.

Check out Alex Ross' Justice mini series. I thought it was a really good run and the art was pretty darn good too.

Justice Society of America has been good for just about it's entire run. Another one of Geoff Johns' books.

I'm currently really enjoying The Flash: Rebirth. It's probably the most excited I've ever been for The Flash. And it's yet another Geoff Johns book.

In my opinion, if you want a good read, just track down anything Geoff Johns writes. It's usually pretty damn good.

I also really enjoyed The Brave And The Bold while George Pérez was drawing it. I dropped it once he left.

I've, surprisingly, been enjoying Superman: World Of New Krypton. I didn't have much faith in it when I first heard about it, but it's been pretty enjoyable so far.

14. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

JLA: The nail. An elseworlds though experiment by Alan Davis and Mark Farmer about what would happen if there was no Superman in the DCU. I love Alan Davis art, the actual execution of the story is done well (IMO). There is a twist that didn't seem out of place, stupid, or forced. 90% of the costumes are silver age (Catwoman used her modern suit). Most of the characters are silver age.

15. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

I agree on Geoff Johns work on both JSA and Action Comics. His JSA run just ended after the Gog story which bridged Kingdom Come to current continuity, and his Action run finished a while ago. But the Legion story was amazing.

And I recommended it elsewhere so I'll do it here. Booster Gold. Just a fun book even after Johns left.

16. Fiy

Fiy Alien Velociraptor

News Credits:
    I don't think anyone has said this yet but The Crisis on Infinite Earths crossover from the 1980's.

17. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

Seconded. The Nail is a great story and I liked the sequel, Another Nail, too. Alan Davis is one of my all time favorite comic creators.

18. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

Age of Apocalypse...just the original one, the 10th anniversary mini sucked major balls.

19. Molini

Molini spawn of a glitch TFW2005 Supporter

You absolutely MUST read Jeph Loeb's run on The Hulk, I hear its fan-fucking-tastic!

The latest Marvel Crossover is epic, I hear they basically have taken the Marvel Universe and let the villains run it. So you have classic teams like the Avengers and the X-Men...except this time they're DARK, so villains are playing the hero roles! :drool: , I know right?

Happy reading!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  20. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

Planet Hulk (blows away Civil War, Dark Reign, and anything else so far that Marvel has done lately) and Darkest Night (so far so good)...Planet Hulk you can buy the tpb or wait for the DVD to come out.

Fables (Vertigo Comics) is my current favorite titles, there's like 12 tpbs out and all i thought were outstanding.