Rechrome results

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Paladine, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Paladine

Paladine Well-Known Member

I had some figures rechromed by Chrometech USA. I thought I'd share the results with you.

I have a KO Black Prime that serves as Evil Prime. He's all black, and he has a black gun, so I figured why not add some contrast by chroming his gun. Take a peek.
    [​IMG]

I have one Overlord that is in awesome shape. I also have one that is in not-so-nice a shape. I decided to chrome some of his pieces as an experiment. First up is his gun. The gun I had was heavily sun-damaged and the colors were all fubared. Realizing I could do nothing with it, I figured I'd chrome it! On the left is the original gun color on my mint Overlord, and the right side has the chrome gun. It's interesting, but I think I like the original purple better.

[​IMG]

I have a repro tank turret as well, and I bought a real version to replace it, so I figured I'd chrome the repro turret to see how it looks.

[​IMG]

My Giga and Mega needed their backs rechromed, so I did them as well. On the left are my two mint copies, so you'll see some faint chrome wear. But on the right, you'll see newly rechromed Giga and Mega. Mega ALWAYS has chrome wear, so this Mega will be the best you'll ever see. The rechromed Giga is silver obviously. To achieve the gold look, you apply transparent yellow paint on top of the silver chrome. I plan on doing the painting this weekend. It will turn out very nice!

[​IMG]

Lastly, and coincidentally the items I think are most improved by chroming, are the American Darkwing's Powermasters. The American version is not chromed, while the Japanese (Hydra/Buster) version is. So here you will see (probably) the only chromed American Darkwings!

[​IMG]

I had him do some other pieces as well, such as Hasbro's Silverstreaks missiles and gun, Apex Bomber's Long-Ass-Missile, and Ricochet's weapons.

All in all, I'm very happy with the results, and while it's not the fastest service, I am very impressed. The prices aren't too bad. For all the pieces I did, it cost about $70.

2. tony77tony77

tony77tony77 Well-Known Member

looks really good!

3. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    awesome, I'm thinking of having some parts done through them. Glad to see that the parts came out so nice. A question for you. Does it look like there is any "running" of the chomre material?? Im just curious. Thanks much my friend, and get looking parts!

4. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    Looks good!

5. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Looks great. Is there a per piece price on this type of work. How do the decide the cost.

6. jason jupiter

jason jupiter weird/ rare g1 KO hunter

thanks for posting these up and revealing the company you went to, awesome!

7. Nemesis_Dirge

Nemesis_Dirge Banned

News Credits:
    looks super!

8. Paladine

Paladine Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what you mean by running of the chrome, but I haven't detected any anomolies with the application. It looks just like a factory application.

I believe it's a small charge per piece, and then added upon that is a price per surface area. For small missiles and guns, it's probably $3-$5. I didn't get an exact price breakdown on the items so I cannot really say.

9. FartRipper67

FartRipper67 Well-Known Member

Looks great!

10. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Interesting, I may have to take advantage of this at some point in time.

11. sunlink

sunlink Be Transformed TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    pretty cool idea. how are their prices?

12. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Those look superb. I'm not too fond of the chrome on Overlord's weaponry, but the finish looks fantastic. I might have to send these guys some old G1 parts with knackered chrome sometime. Thanks for sharing your experiences!

13. Killa-B-Killed

Killa-B-Killed Material Handler

The Powermasters for Darkwing + Dreadwind look great!!!