recent/upcoming marvel revamp opinions

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by KA, Mar 27, 2007.

1. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    with civil war marvel is changing up the status quo big time. what are your thoughts on the changes and the motives? was it really necessary, story-wise and sales-wise? do you like new direction?

now i know that its always been done, at least at character level, they get a major change at least per decade, but this is different i guess in scope and breadth.

2. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

It's something to fill the time until World War Hulk.

3. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    yeah, but WW hulk too is basically a plot offshoot from CW innit?

has it really come to a point where theyve milked the hero angst angle so now theyre just pitting everybody against each other.

its like theyre trying to make a commentary on current socio-political trend or summat.

4. McBradders

No, it's come to a point where a universe should feel like a universe, where these "big events" need lasting ramifications that affect every book. That is something Marvel have done, like it or hate it, and done it reasonably well. Unlike, say Infinite Crisis, which didn't really accomplish anything but bring back Jason Todd.

The real test is how long these changes last, and how the revert back to the norm (if it indeed happens at all) is treated.

5. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    actually, my specific query was directed at a marketing standpoint. was there issue with lagging sales or something? just curious actually (as i dont monitor comic behind the scene news so closely).

6. McBradders

You said "Story-wise and sales-wise".

Oh snap!

7. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    sheah. you havent commented on the sales wise portion :|

maybe we have to wait for primal.

8. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    It all just makes me glad I don't read Marvel titles outside of the X-franchise. Although there's a good chance that if I did read the other hero books, I wouldn't anymore.

9. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Civil War was good and bad to me. In some aspects, it really turned me off to Joe Quesada, especially what he did to my favorite team (New Warriors) and hero (Speedball). I didn't like the direction they took Cap at all. Cap was always the more reasonable of all the heroes.

On the flip side, I love what they did with shell head. Never really cared for Tony, but CW gave him a real personality for once, something most writers can't seem to do.

All in all, it was a big letdown, (not as big of a letdown as Infinite Crisis), but we'll see where it goes from here.

10. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

I agree.

Personally, I don't care for some of the changes it created, but I am glad that the event delivered on its promise. Much of the fall-out has been very interesting, and I think we'll get some good stories out of it before it's reverted back.

As for sales, I don't really have any idea. I imagine it's may have broken even. For every long time fan/reader that swore of Marvel forever, a new one was brought in by all the media attnetion the story had.

11. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

You meaning turning Tony in a jerk is personality? CW for me ruined the Marvel Universe for now, but I don't care because in a year to two everything will have returned to pre-CW status.

12. DevilzFan

I don't see him as a "jerk".

I see him as a guy who made some mistakes, some REALLY BIG mistakes, but fought for what he believed in. I guess that could be used to describe Cap too. Though nobody calls him a "jerk".

Tony fought on the side of the law. Love him or hate him, he was following the law. I didn't, and still don't agree with the Pro-Reg side, but they were the "lawful" side.

They fought for what they believed was best for the country. Whereas the Anti-Regs fought for themselves and their community, not what was best for the country.

13. McBradders

The event was -excellent-. The Civil War book was great, right up until the last issue. My only nitpicks were killing Goliath. WHO CARES?

Pennance was also lame, but on the whole it was a very brave move, and one that paid off as all the characters involved are shining. They all have an extraneous PURPOSE now. It's wonderful to see the effects filter in to all the Marvel books.

Still... a lot of turds. But on the whole I liked it a lot.

14. JoshBot

JoshBot Well-Known Member

Civil War finally got Dan Slott on an Avengers on-going book. That alone makes the whole thing worth.

15. Primal

Primal Moderator

News Credits:
    I'll attempt the sales portion of KA's question. Hopefully this is what you were looking for.
    I'm just listing the top two sellers for Marvel in each month so you have a comparison of how Civil War did.

Please note these are estimates of the sales by Diamond U.S.
    CIVIL WAR months are bolded

March 2006
    NEW AVENGERS #17 - 121,098 est. qty
    NEW AVENGERS ILLUMINATI SPECIAL - 107,912 est. qty

April 2006
    WOLVERINE: ORIGINS #1 - 150,283
    NEW AVENGERS #18 - 121,550

May 2006
    CIVIL WAR #1 - 260,804
    WOLVERINE: ORIGINS #2 - 131,522

June 2006
    CIVIL WAR #2 - 253,856
    NEW AVENGERS #21 - 134,278

July 2006
    CIVIL WAR #3 - 290,709
    NEW AVENGERS #22 - 124,617

August 2006
    NEW AVENGERS #23 - 154,262
    WOLVERINE: ORIGINS #5 - 120,448

September 2006
    CIVIL WAR #4 - 272,573
    ASTONISHING X-MEN #17 - 124,026

October 2006
    NEW AVENGERS #24 - 136,811
    CIVIL WAR: FRONT LINE #7 - 106,588

November 2006
    CIVIL WAR #5 - 272,603
    NEW AVENGERS #25 - 136,504

December 2006
    NEW AVENGERS #26 - 122,670
    ASTONISHING X-MEN #19 - 121,300

January 2007
    CIVIL WAR #6 - 259,264
    CIVIL WAR: THE RETURN - 125,713

February 2007
    CIVIL WAR #7 - 265,935
    DARK TOWER GUNSLINGER BORN #1 - 172,147

-------------------

Estimated total with all reprints, variants and issues bought in later months for CIVIL WAR

CIVIL WAR #1 - 360,172 (this is including the 32,878 sold for the Director's Cut version)
    CIVIL WAR #2 - 340,527
    CIVIL WAR #3 - 335,655
    CIVIL WAR #4 - 288,609
    CIVIL WAR #5 - 281,323
    CIVIL WAR #6 - 259,264
    CIVIL WAR #7 - 265,935

Figures compiled from ICv2.com

16. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

Actually, one of the things that I liked about CW was that they made me care. About a character I hadn't even heard of till recently.

17. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

Interesting interpretation, but I don't think Cap's side was being selfish. Spidey had the major problems with registration pinned down: government can't be trusted with secrets or secret identities...the use of the Negative Zone as a prison, and the violations of the Fourth Amendment in its use...the use of deadly force...using supervillains as enforcers...the deaths of Goliath and Typeface...you get the idea.

I think everyone was fighting for what they thought was best - but even the purest motives and intentions are marred by mistakes and wrong actions.

18. DevilzFan

Oh, I don't think Cap's side was selfish at all. They were doing what they felt was best for the overall hero community. Hell, I was on Cap's side all throughout CW. Still am.

Exactly. Both Cap and Iron Man's side had their strong points, and both had their weak points. Things spiraled out of control quickly. I think if it had been a group of heroes policing the hero community, instead of the government, things would have gone down much differently. Say, the Illuminati. If they worked with the government, and promised to keep the heroes trained and accountable, while protecting their identities, things would have been much different. I could see the majority of heroes trusting their lives and identities to guys like Xavier, Reed, Black Bolt, Strange, even Iron Man. Namor, maybe not so much.

19. Metal Soldier

Metal Soldier The Robot

Civil War was just the precursor to the real event. WWH is Marvel's true master event.

20. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    thx buddy!

hmm. while marvel certainly didnt need the boost, the sales figure are even more impressive. win win choice for them i guess.