Recent shortages with KR and Super Sentai

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Luffy, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Luffy

Luffy Prof Slacker

News Credits:
    As some may or may not know its become more difficult to obtain the latest Kamen Rider and Super Sentai merc. So I'm wondering is Bandai purposely not making enough because previous series did'nt sell that well. Or are they just that popular? Personally I think its the former. Kamen rider merc has always been more popular but, stores would always get well timed restocks. As for super sentai while the first releases of certain items would be popular again stores would get timely restocks. Now Stores are'nt getting but handfuls of the stuff and they can't keep them in stock.

2. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I believe the primary cause might be reduced production numbers.

The Zords from Samurai Sentai Shinkenger two years ago were massively over-produced and are STILL clogging shelves at a lot of retailers.

In theory, companies might have lowered the amount of materials produced to avoid similar mistakes.

3. ZeroEdge

ZeroEdge Geass'd

News Credits:
    Well, with the Japanese yen being so high, maybe that just made production costs more expensive?

4. Secretcode

Secretcode Keeper of Encarta Veteran

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Production and Stock is apparently always around the same loose numbers each year. Demand HAS skyrocketed in the last year or two. I personally say a mixture of nostalgia, Vangelus and the rise in popularity of sites like Henshin Justice are the main reasons for the boom in the US.

5. Luffy

Luffy Prof Slacker

News Credits:
    I'm mainly talking about the Japanese market secretcode. Mr.S of CS Toy store said his son went to get a 3DS from a local elec store. There were two lines there one for the 3DS and the other was for the lastest Medal set from Kamen rider ooo. Take a guess which line was longer and had less to go around.

@Zero Edge: While thats a good thought items like the core medal sets from ooo's don't cost that much (about $7-$10) so it can't cost that much to produce them.

6. Secretcode

Secretcode Keeper of Encarta Veteran

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Comparing a mass-release handheld's very hyped release with that of a toy. That's not exactly fair, now is it?

Bandai is releasing more toys to stores as they get made. Demand IS up.

Also, the 3DS had at least 400,000 copies on sale in the entire nation, considering that's roughly how many have been sold so far.

7. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

I'd say the overstock of Shinkenger toys, and the general rise in quality of the shows has gotten them more toy love.

8. ZeroEdge

ZeroEdge Geass'd

News Credits:
    That's true. Something like a Core Medal set wouldn't be too expensive to produce at all...but imagine trying to do it on a mass scale.

9. Luffy

Luffy Prof Slacker

News Credits:
    You missed my point. A toy was able to draw and bigger crowd and sold out faster than a highly anticipated system. Yes, you can argue things like location and of course the price. Still that should not have happend.

Their releasing them in very limited numbers and thats the problem. If demand is up you make more of the product.

If this was a smaller company and not a multimillion dollar one like Bandai I'd agree.

10. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    IMO, its a combo of higher demand and lower production numbers - especially the latter as some of the older series are clogging the shelves of some stores as mentioned earlier.

That's why I suspect why Bandai came out with the Tamashii Web exclusive system and I'm speculating its essentially a "Just-In-Time" system of sorts. Bandai will only produce figures if there are the numbers for them.

For example, Blue ranger and Green ranger for the Samurai rangers. I reckon Bandai is thinking that the above characters will not sell as well as the Red ranger. I don't blame them because most kids if given a limited choice will just "buy" the the main ranger i.e. the Red Ranger.

I recall when the S.I.C series came out many years, demand for it was amazing and characters like "mighty kuuga" and "shadow moon" were going at mad prices on ebay. If I recall correctly, kuuga was hitting like USD$150 and USD$170!

The next thing everyone knew was that retailers from HK started releasing "excess" stock and the prices for the S.I.C figures dropped like a "ton of bricks" and the toys were choking even the import shops. My friends and I jokingly called it the "Great S.I.C Crash"! X)

11. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    It's funny how people say that there is an overstock of Shinkenger toys, Because it's been hell and a half to track down a cheap Shinken-Oh, if it was overflowing, then why aren't they on clearance?

12. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Because it's a two year old toy?

Seems to me, at least as far as Figuarts go, it's a major issue of demand trumping supply. Getting preorders in for the new figures is almost as bad as getting new stuff from Matty Collector. I'm still waiting on an in-stock OOO Figuart (although that's mostly hlj's fault for not holding items that people put into their cart, otherwise it would have been here weeks ago). Everybody wants these things and, unless it's a reissue or obscure character, there just don't seem to be enough to meet that demand.

13. cheetorBWORG

cheetorBWORG Cheetor Fan

News Credits:
    Excuse me, but you set yourself up to lose the point. People who knew about Japan's 3DS release would know that an initial stock of 400,000 was to be sold on the first day, and considering this is a Nintendo portable, that number is frankly rather small.

Until you told us which item had less to go around, I thought you were talking about the 3DS, not the medal.

14. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    From what I gather while there's excess stocks, don't expect the stores to post them online for "auctions". One has to be physically in Japan to buy the toys. Maybe you can get someone to help you out? And while the toys are considered excess, don't expect "rock bottom" prices for Asian stores! X)

One recently series that I'm having difficulty in tracking down in my import stores is Go-Onger (spelling?) or RPM. In the past, sentai robots from 2-3 years ago were easily available and the shops would bring in older stocks say every 1-2 months?

15. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Since Go-onger is being reissued in Hong Kong soon maybe they'll filter down to Singapore.

16. Luffy

Luffy Prof Slacker

News Credits:
    I'm not trying to be rude nor a wise ass here but, why would I even bring somthing like that up if I was'nt alluding to the fact that the medal set sold out first and had the bigger line? It would have been stupid and pointless on my part.

17. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Wow! That is great news! When were the toys reissued in HK and how come, dude? For the last question, was the show really popular in HK? By the way are there any differences between the HK and Japanese toys?

18. cheetorBWORG

cheetorBWORG Cheetor Fan

News Credits:
    Ha-Have you not seen the lines that go on for release day of new Video Game systems!? They're freaking huge events!

You asked us "Which had the bigger line? Nintendo 3DS or OOO's medals?" To me, and what I'm sure a lot of other people would think, is that the 3DS had a bigger line.

I don't doubt OOO's popularity, but for it to have a line larger than the 3DS?

Shocks the hell out of me!

19. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    No no. The show's not been aired yet. The show starts in a few weeks. Which is why Bandai Asia will be reissueing them there. Hong kong lags behind Japan a few years. But they often get japanese stock when its aired in Japan then they get a second chance to get them when its reissued by Bandai Asia.

20. Reeds

Reeds Q-Wing Pilot TFW2005 Supporter

^ This is the best answer. Bandai is well aware that if Vangelus or an American KR website stop talking much about the series, it'll pretty much shut down and when they talk more about it, it goes bananas. If we all tell Vangelus to stop talking about KR OOO, I'm sure it'll all be cheap and plentiful. Also, tell HJ to fill up the rest of their podcast with My Little Pony. That will help too. And lord knows they want to anyway.

Besides that and probably more accurate is that I think goats are eating all the stock before it leaves the factories in China. Yep. Goats.

Everything here is equally plausible.