Recent Mcafee Updates

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by The_Bardock, Mar 24, 2007.

1. The_Bardock

The_Bardock ****** of the Minicons

Has anyone else using Macafee had problems surfing the internet with anti phishing enabled? Ever since the last update almost every website I had been going to was loading extemely slow. Right now I have it disabled and everything seems to be going fine, but i'm hoping there may be a way to keep all my protection running.

2. Severus

Severus Curmudgeon TFW2005 Supporter

It wouldn't surprise me. In my experience Mcafee causes more system problems than any other antivirus program out there, including the much-maligned Norton.

You don't really need all that extra junk anyway. IE7 has a phising filter if you're really that concerned, but a little common sense will do just fine for you. You don't really need a firewall either, as the gains of one of the extra ones over the Windows firewall are minimal for the average user. If you have a router, you've also got a great hardware firewall, so there's little point.

I'd recommend a straight, low-resource antivirus package, along with keeping your computer updated at all times. If you're more savvy you can even skip the antivirus, if you're more concerned, you can add a good antispyware package like SpySweeper to that.

3. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

Sounds like about half the calls I get at work. McAfee and Norton cause so much trouble with internet connections, that someone should call shenanigans. The firewall shuts you down from getting online half the time, and then if the subscription ends, it fucks over your connection again. I literally do this every night:

Caller: "My internets don't work"
    Me: *checks IP address*
    Me: "Any antivirus software?"
    Caller:"I have Norton/McAfee"
    Me: :banghead:  "disable firewall"
    Caller: "It works!!"

4. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    You know my Dad keeps griping to me about how slow his computer is running and I keep telling him I think it’s Mccafee but he wont take it out.

5. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

McAfee just hosed one of my co-workers computers.