recent main line homages and why I'm not quite so interested in the classics line

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by ckhtiger, May 13, 2006.

1. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

after seeing the design sketches of classics prime, I don't quite feel that elation that I usually would for a new prime. it kind of saddens me, because I'm such an optimus fan, but here's the reason: the recent homages, especially from energon, have put a big damper on the impact of seeing older characters updated.

each incarnation of the main line is going to have a prime, that's a given. but we have had fairly close homages in either paint scheme or alt mode of ultra magnus and prowl in r.i.d., starcream and thundercracker in armada, wheeljack, inferno, shockwave, springer and rodimus prime in energon, and a good hot rod homage in cybertron. with all of these being good toys and way more articulated than their g1 bredren, it almost seems to make the neo-g1 line a moot point.

so what then becomes the point of the classics line? we all look at the new prime of each line and compare it to what we think optimus prime should look like, hence the "prime's not a firetruck" or fatimus prime sucks remarks. yet we also view them as updates of our classic characters, even though they take place in different timelines. is the draw for the classics line that they are actually SUPPOSED to be the updated forms of old characters? because I'm certainly about at my limit of getting excited over another version of a semi truck called optimus, and it would seem that if we got more versions of some of the characters that have recently had homages made that they would be redundant. I'll be the first to admit the new designs are indeed awesome, but as far as characters that have recently been updated, the excitement just isn't really there.

2. Fretburn

Fretburn We need Instrument TFs

For me it's simply that we're getting more kick ass figures.

Now, Prime, great as he is, i can see why one's enthusiasm could be dampened by so many other Primes out there.

But Classics Jetfire...we have yet to have a truly great update of Jetfire, and particularly no real SKYfire. Eneegon Skyblast was the closest. Hah.

And Astrotrain has never had an update. And the new one is a fine fine reimagining.
    Gun Megatron? That's been a VERY long time. And he hasn't had an arm cannon since the first incarnation that could do the character justice.

Bumblebee...be nice to have a good BB soon too.

Energon Grimlock...was a great concept but miserably executed. So the new one will make it utterly forgettable. Er, moreso.

To me this is a very exciting time.

3. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I hated the homages. they were new characters, in a new continuity, there should have been new designs with no throwbacks to classic characters.

Regardless how you feel about past homages though, the new classic line has no homages. these ARE our old G1 heroes, given new bodies. You see classic Hot Rod, and you know that actually is Hot Rod. the same guy you first saw in Transformers The Movie, and not some robot with some passing resemblance. and most of all, when you see the classic Optimus Prime, that is the Optimus Prime, the hero of every child of the 80's. he is not just another Optimus Prime like the armada and energon versions were. this is the real deal. Its the same Prime we saw crash the Ark into the earth four million years ago. It's the same Prime who sacrificed himself to stop Megatron in the movie.

Thats what matters to me. that is why I'm going to love this line. I don't have to settle for shallow imitations anymore.

4. PrimeConvoy

PrimeConvoy ShickaBAM!

To be honest, for me its all about the figures and the character its self, it doesn't bother me about how many primes or megs i got, just as long as that, there will always be a Prime or Meg to get. Without no new main line until the movie really, I mean this is awesome, really i couldn't ask for anything more...

5. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    But it does beg the question. Why didn't they do this in the first place? Why did they send the base through this multi-year rollercoaster of crazy toys with crazy names?(for good or bad)

Was it all about securing trademarks? Was the movie planned that long ago?

6. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If it was only about trademarks, we'd get new designs with old names (which we already do)

Homages are just a way to grab a few extra sales from fans/collectors/nostalgics. Kids and others who don't remember G1 couldn't care less that Downshift has Wheeljack's face, but it's obvious based on reactions seen on these boards that many fans eat it up.

I'll agree that homages have been kinda overdone in the last couple years, and it takes an amount of excitement out of a true update like the Classics line. I'm excited personally, though I'll be more interested to see toys of characters that haven't already been homaged to death. Optimus and Starscream are kind of a given, but we also get Bumblebee, Astrotrain, and a Megatron that actually bases more on G1 than elsewhere. I'm hoping whatever Classics toys we haven't seen yet are ones that cover previously uncovered ground character-wise. A Hot Rod toy fails that by having two Hot Shot repaints and a Rodimus backing him up, for example.

7. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    well, we're getting a jetfire, that will kick ass of course... I hope more triple-changers, maybe cassetticons updated to go with the new soundwave rumoured to be in the line as well... maybe it'll be a successs and get extended THAT would rock. would love to get some combiners that have full articulation... oh yeah

8. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    That's what I'm hoping for. My remaining interest in collecting Transformers will most likely only last as long as the Classics line does.

9. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    In short, yes. This won't be Energon Rodimus who happens to resemble Rodimus Prime or Cybertron Excellion who looks like Hot Rot. This IS Hot Rod. (And you can bet your ass I'm buying 3-4 copies of him!)

It's an end to the minor homanges, the round about references, and the forced gimmicks from recent lines. It's G1, just designed 22 years later.

10. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Love them or not, these are going to be good old fashioned Transformers embodying the best there is from every previous line. Looking at the concept artworks, the Prime is all kinds of badass. He's not just G1 updated, he is the end product of every Optimus and Convoy to this point. Energon's overall design, a bit of Cybertron Prime, Big Convoy's Tonfas, the arm-mounted smokestacks also harking to Armada Prime, with the overall arrangement of the robot mode being inspired by G1.
    If the rest of the line can self reference a handful of series like that it'll be a bigger treat than it already is.

11. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

I believe my feelings for this line can be summed up in one simple phrase...

It is the year 2006; and the treacherous Decepticons have returned from interstellar space with Megatron back from the supposed dead. The Autobots; still under the command of Optimus Prime must now return to an ages old war they thought long abandoned; and thus in this golden age of Cybertron, The Autobots Wage their battle to destroy the evil forces of The Decepticons; once and for all.

12. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

You have a point.

Since we 'Adult' collectors are a reliable source of income to Hasbro compared to potentially fickle children.... combined with the fact a lot of those same adult collectors can't see past 1985-86 , repetition seems inevitable.

13. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Eh, but homages are just homages. Cool or not Hot Shot isn't Hot Rod... and Megatron hasn't looked that close to his G1 self in a long long time. Prime looks to embody the best of all the most recent Prime's designs and he's supposed to be G1 Prime in a new body.

I think that last bit is what has me the most excited. It's the actual G1 characters in new bodies updated with today's modern aritculation and design asthetics. Also, some of these characters have never had homages before. Astrotrain has never had an update, Grimlock's update is due to be awesome hopefully correcting the flaws from Energon Grimlock and we haven't had a decent Bumblebee since the Pretender version. If Classics Starscream looks even half as good as the MP version that's coming out... he won't be bad either, but keeping with that he's actually G1 Starscream... the guy who would stab Megatron in the back every chance he got, but never ever did it succesfully... the current last series Screamer is nothing of the sort.

14. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

I'm just taking it as another line to collect. I loved G1 as a kid but its not really that important to me (I kind of dislike the G1 toys, some I still find bad ass but most I just question why I ever liked them and having a character/personality attached to it is way down on my list of importants).

I do think it would be cool if they had bits of Diecast on them as it would make it feel a lot more like G1, but cost being a factor all plastics is fine for me.

15. SKowl

SKowl Rubber Golem

Ah, the old homage debate.

I, for one, am not sick of the homages themselves, but sick of the fans' tendencies to see homages where there aren't any. Some homages are pretty obvious, like Energon Rodimus (still one of my all-time favs) and Scorpinok. In fact, the Energon homages are still the best in my book. But after that series ended, fans had gotten so used to seeing their favourite G1 characters come back that they EXPECTED homages in the following years and began to see them everywhere.

What is a more obvious Hot Rod/Rodimus homage: Cybertron Excellion or the afformentioned E-Rodimus? I'm still not convinced that Excillion is even a Hot Rod homage, I mean, he's a red sports car. So was Hot Rod. But does that mean we are not allowed to see ANY other red cars without them being a Hot Rod homage? Same goes for other toys in the Cybertron line. I'm sorry people, but Shortround does not look anything like Seaspray and Armorhide looks nothing like Huffer (the only things they share are their alt modes, that's it - I think it takes more than just a vehicle mode for it to be an homage).

I think many of the G1 fans need to let go of the old days. This Classics line (as good as it will be, and I'm sure it will be good) will just reinforce the fanboy-love affair with the 1980s TFs, a love-affair that will leave many fans disappointed once the Michael Bay film is released when they see that not everyone cares as much for Optimus-Truck-Prime, Soundwave-tapedeck, Bumblebee-Volkswagen and Starscream-F15 as much as they do.

What I am looking forward to in the Classics line is the rebirth of characters who have been ignored in recent years, like Astrotrain and Bumblebee. Sadly, like every line, we'll have to put up with another Prime, another Starscream, another Megatron and so on.... (though Megatron coming back as a gun will be cool). I'm sure the Classics will be cool, but I would prefer they continue with the Cybertron continuity and introduce more new characters instead of just re-using the same tired old characters over and over again.

16. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Well, I think the design tributes to the original characters are really awesome. Of the prototype/design phase/sketch stuff we've seen so far, I like it all - Megatron, Optimus, Hot Rod and Astrotrain all look, in my opinion, like pretty faithful re-imaginings of the original characters. I can't wait until they hit store shelves and I think it was a great, great idea. Yay Hasbro for this one!

17. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Yeah, there's been so many incarnations of Prime with G1ish vibes that the new G1 related Primes don't excite me as much anymore.

Always up for new molds though so Im always excited for that :lol 

18. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

I for one am looking forward to the figures I have seen in the upcoming classics line. I mean, we're getting completely new molds, and in voyager size to boot! Prime looks good, I just hope he doesn't have the clunky look and feel of Armada Prime and Energon Prime. Either way, he's a departure from the designs we've seen for Prime in recent years.

I seem to recall a thread on here from a while ago that listed names of TFs for whom Hasbro still has the right to use. Anyone know where it is? I don't mind homages, as long as they are of desireable characters. Seriously, I don't give a flock about Rollbar; why couldn't they give him a more recognizeable name? Or, give the guy a completely new name and give us a good deep story line to tie a personality and character to him. I'm all for moving on to new possibilities with the brand, but I do like to see occassional nods to the past as well.

19. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

I share you're sentiments Skowl

As far as I'm concerned I'm just a Transformers fan PERIOD.As long as the toys look cool and the shows are decent I have no complaints.

Although I do wish they'd quit with the numerous homages.Not that I hate G1,but seriously,a few here and there aren't a bad thing.But too many is kind of overkill.

Example 4Kids' TMNT has had a few homages to the 80's TMNT toon.Enough for older fans to say "Cool" but not so many to say "Enough already".And JLU had a few homages to Superfriends & the same thing I said about TMNT applies here.

From the pics I've seen,seems like they've created a sort of Ultimate G1 line.I don't picture this being the main line *although I could be wrong* but more of a filler till the 2007 toyline and series hit shelves

20. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

I'm not attacking you (because I just read what I wrote and it might look like that), but I think you're incorrect.

C. Hot Shot (followed by C. Excellion) is a Hot Rod homage. Not a recreation of the character... but a nod to the character. The legs and backpack have the exact same transformation as Hot Rod's, and the arms are very similar. The backpack design is also very similar to Hot Rod's spoiler, and I'm sure the wings' placement was not an accident.

Your argument about red cars has at least one (if not more) hole. Sideswipe. He's a red sports car. And actually, come to think of it, aside from the chest bit (just like Hot Rod, actually), Excellion shares some characteristics with him... but then, Sideswipe and Hot Rod are also quite similar in design. Excellion also has Hot Rod's characteristic flames. Again, though, homage. A nod to the original. Not a replacement. If you think the Hot Shots thave have appeared since after G1 are supposed to be Hot Rod... you must not have a very good opinion of Hot Rod. ;) 

You are right about the Shortround/Seaspray and Armorhide/Huffer bits. I don't see those as homages... I think those were "Wouldn't it be cool if we had [X vehicle] as a transformer? Okay, here's how we'll do this..."

How many G1 figures were there? Similarities are bound to happen. My point is... I think some are purposeful, but most are coincidental.