Received and broke a grail in the course of one evening

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Aberration, May 3, 2006.

1. Aberration

Aberration Templar Rodimus

News Credits:
    So I managed to snag a Junior Rodimus Convoy for an insanely good price off of Yahoo Japan. He arrived today, and naturally, I had to take him out of the box and play with him. (Sorry, I've never been the MIB type of collector).

After ONE attempt at transforming him, he snaps in half! It turns out that it's not my fault though. Ok, it's partly my fault, since it was my hands that opened the box and tried to transform him, but a big part of it is that Rodimus Jr is a poorly designed toy. The joint that flips his chest is extremely tight, and the torso is attached to the waist by two pieces of plastic that are as thin as a nail, so this guy really didn't have a chance. (I wonder if this is part of the reason why we don't see that many Rodimus Jrs around)

Anyways, I'm not -too- sad about this, I'm never planning to sell him, and the damage looks to be repairable. I'm thinking I'll just super glue him back together, but if super glue isn't good for plastics or if anyone can suggest a better adhesive, I'd appreciate the advice.

And if anyone's curious, I'll post up some before & after repair pics later.

2. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    wow... man that blows balls. Thankfully I've not broken any TFs yet, but to do it to a grail!

3. Aberration

News Credits:
    Tell me about it, this actually IS the first TF that I've ever broken! :banghead:  Like I said though, this was a stupid design, which I think will be made clear when I post up pictures

4. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    well, at least you got one, and I dont fault you for opening it, thats what we're supposed to do :p  the only jrs that I've been wanting are the fort max one and the soundblaster...

5. NotoriousBIC

NotoriousBIC Prime Suspect

I have Fort Max Jr and imho it's not that good. It only has the flightmode transformation (no base mode).

I'm still looking for JR God Ginrai, haven't seen him anywhere yet.

6. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Dude, that sucks! I'd love to see pics though, since that's one of the few that I don't have. Yet. :) 

7. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

My condolences :( 

8. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

speaking of jrs, is the regular convoy any good? it's just about the only convoy incarnation I don't have.

9. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    im a big jr fan i have the 3 pack metroplex soundblaster and getting god ginrai and trypticon very soon i lost out on a sunstreaker jr by .25 i could of cried i pmd you about your roddy ive only seen small images and would love to see more.

10. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    I've got the Convoy/Chromedome/Fort Max Jr. 3-pack and it's pretty cool. Got it for an insanely low price too ($25)

For starters, Convoy's head does not flip inside the cab. You literally have to remove it when transforming him in his alt mode. The arms are designed in a way that they dont snap snugly in place like the regular G1 Prime/Convoy mold, so you have to toy around with it to make it look decent.

I don't mind much though, because I display my Jrs. in their box :D 

11. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

Super weak! Reminds me of the time I was building a gundam kit and accidentally dropped the head crest down the ventelation grate. Luckily I managed to go down to the basement and rip apart the ceiling ducts and found it. But weak man, that's got to blow donky balls to break a grail. Here's hoping you get him patched up. Good luck!

12. NotoriousBIC

NotoriousBIC Prime Suspect

Dude, could you please tell me where you got God Ginrai? I've been looking for it for AGES!

Interesting fact about Jr Convoy: In the triple pack with Chromedome and Fort Max it comes with Ultra Magnus stickers. The regular single release has the proper Prime stickers (albeit smaller of course)

13. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Had a Monstructor bot crumble in my hand before.

Was like "did that just happen?"

14. Nightscream

Nightscream JP TF Master Collector

Ebay:
    Dude, that sucks. I know - I broke Black Zarak, Overlord, Sinnertwin and Snaptrap the minute I got them.

15. Aberration

News Credits:
    Thanks for the condolences everyone, I really appreciate it :)  Well, here are some pics like I promised, they're not the greatest, but here goes... (If anyone wants vehicle mode pics, sorry, but NO :p  )

Here's all the parts of the figure:
    [​IMG]

The broken pieces next to a ruler. I'd say that's pretty crazy thin, wouldn't you?
    [​IMG]

The others hoped that combining their powers would save their fallen comrade...
    [​IMG]
    Orodruin, if you wanted to know, Energon and Choro-Q Rodimus are absent because they're at my parents' house. Plus, someone needed to survive in case the Decepticons (or rabid Optimus fanboys :p ) mounted a surprise attack ;) 

And it worked! :rock 
    [​IMG]

16. Aberration

News Credits:
    Comparisons between Original and Junior:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I was surprised to find that Rodimus Jr actually comes with the same stickers for the robot mode as the original. I opted not to apply them though, since I never liked the stickers on the original, they're mostly random patterns that don't improve the look of the figure IMO. Even without stickers though, you can see a lot of similarities between the figures.

Boxed pics:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sadly, I think the box is where Rodimus Jr is going to stay. The super glue was a success, but it's kinda hard to prevent putting pressure on that area, and I don't want to risk a re-breakage. Who knows, maybe I'll be lucky enough to happen upon another one someday...

17. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    :lol  If I hadn't worked I would've said you should send him to me, maybe my legion Hot Rods would have better luck. :ev:  Let me know if you see another one somewhere, I gotta have one! I take it the trailer is cardboard?

18. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That's a cool item. I think you're right about the stickers. Sorry that it broke, but at least you did kind of fix it. Just be careful eh?

19. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Whoa! I feel your pain dude! For my case, I got the toynami VF-1S and broke him less than 5-10 mins upon opening him. It was my first time breaking a toy.

20. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    Well I'll be damned. I always wondered why his stickers looked so misplaced! :lol 

Good thing I never applied them :D