Reccomend me a camera!

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Renidragon, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

My birthday is coming up! Woohoo!!! :bday 

My parents told me they wanted to get me a digital camera, but they don't know enough about the technology or what I'd want in a camera, so they told me I could pick one out with a price cap of $300.

What would I use it for? Well, I'd probably use it mostly for my photocomics - so I want a camera that'd be good for taking pictures of toys (obviously, I wouldn't be posting this in the TOYark otherwise). I also would use it for taking pictures at parties (I'm spending a week at a beach house the week of my birthday, I want pictures, cause I'll have a hard time remembering much of what happens otherwise :drunk  ), and if, somehow, I go travelling, I love taking pictures of trees, water, fields, sunsets, closeups of flower bushes, etc.

I'm really not too knowledgable about digicams, but I know some of you guys are, so I wanted to ask for some suggestions.

2. Elvin Pena

Elvin Pena <b><font color=red>CyberCon is #1!</font></b> Veteran

News Credits:
    I can't recommend any particular model but I can tell you from personal experience that Canon's optics are some of the best in the business. Check out www.newegg.com when you get a chance.

3. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

A lot of folks say that Sony's got some really good lenses in their cameras. But I use a Fuji Finepix and never have any problems getting good shots. Toy shots are tricky no matter what camera you get. What you want to look for is a camera that has at least one good macro-mode. My particular camera has two. One that allows general toy pics pretty well, and one that allows really, REALLY close shots without much artifacting. Helps when you're looking to do things like this:

MacroShot

As for shots at parties and such, most cameras do OK in high light situations, and have a terrible time in low-light without being able to do long exposure shots. I do wish my FinePix had a longer exposure option. It's can't do longer than three seconds which makes even dim-light shots difficult.

My suggestion would be, if you have a spending limit, to go looking around at camera review sites and look for good macro mode, good long exposure, and good clarity in reviews. Definitely research well before you buy, so you're happy with what you've got. Don't buy the first one that sounds OK and then wish you would have waited later.

It also doesn't hurt to, once you've got it narrowed down to three or four choices, to bargain hunt a little, or wait for sales to come up on one of the cameras your looking for. I got mine for quite a discount because I waited until after the Christmas rush the year I bought it. That allowed me to buy more of a camera than I probably could have afforded otherwise.

Good luck. Once you get a good digital camera, there's all kinds of possibilities.

4. Elvin Pena

Elvin Pena <b><font color=red>CyberCon is #1!</font></b> Veteran

News Credits:
    This is a great site for camera reviews: www.dpreview.com. It's helped me and others I know quite a bit.

5. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    Like my hombre Elvin said, go with Canon cameras. They're the best digicams for your pricerange.

I've been using Canon Powershot and Fuji Finepix cameras for the past 4 year and they give great results, although you'll pay more for Fuji.

6. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Reflector....

7. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

8. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
  9. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I have a cannon powershot a40. I got this several years ago so you can get something better now. The one feature it dosen't have that I now wish it did is manual focus. I have lost count of the times where I will see the auto focus go from blury to focus back to blury and not lock on (especaly on toy pics).

10. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    buy a canon!! :p 

auto everything, but also manual everything which is awesome!! you can't go wrong with any of the powershot series camera's.

but whatever you get try to get something with:
    - uses 4 AA batteries.. sure they'll tell ya, its lighter with only 2, but the thing will die out incredibly fast unless you have ultra expensive batteries. try to get a camera that uses 4. trust me! those little screens suck the life out of batteries.

- when they try to sell you one with a bigger view screen, tell them to shove it. Your buying a camera, not a TV. you just need to see if the object your shooting is centered and in focus. shouldn't matter how big or bright the view screen is. also remember the bigger/brighter the screen, the more battery life, your camera will be sucking.

- try to get one with manual macro settings. 50% of the time it won't focus on the part of the toy/flower/cookie/tiny object you want it to. manual focus FTW!!

- don't go below 3 megapixels, you just won't be happy with it

11. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've got a cannon powershot s400, 4mp. It works pretty well but some of my closeups aren't quite as sharp as I'd like. I don't know if that's from me not knowing all the setting and such or just because the camera's only 4mp and not higher.

But definitely make sure you get one with a good macro feature. Mandatory for toy closeups.

As to the batteries thing, most small ones I don't think even use standard batteries. Mine has two rechargable card-type batteries, and it hasn't been a problem.

12. dragonfire

dragonfire Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  13. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Annother vote for Canon.

14. Zakna

Zakna Flames Fan! :)

get a canon

i take pics with a canon a620 7.2 mp

15. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Mine's only 3.3 megapixles but it's okay. (Pentax Optio) I'd say most DigiCams have decent features unless you go real cheap.
    Good lighting is more important for toy photographs (probably not so if you are really going for professional looking pics, though).

I'd suggest investing on a memory card so that you can film a few minutes of the party. The video quality is not great, but it's easy and fun :) 

16. DamienK

DamienK Member

17. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

can't really help you on this one unless we're talking about digital SLR's. I don't see myself ever buying less.

good luck though. personaly, i shoot with a cannon, but i use nikon at work. both are awsome. never used fuji or olympus, but i've always heard BAD BAD things about
    them.