[REC]...

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Vector Sigma, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Vector Sigma

Vector Sigma <b><i><font color=FFFF00>Crazy Colon Burner!!!!</b Veteran

The most terrifying horror film I have seen in recent memory.

Was at Draven's last night and watched this little Spanish horror film called [REC] (as in the record button on a camera). I have never been so genuinely creeped out and jumping at the true shocks pouring forth before me. I'll keep spoilers to a minimum, but detail the start of the plot basically. For no real spoilers, think kinda zombie film in a sealed off building.

Premise is as follows: Ridiculously hot reporter is doing a fluff piece for the local news (the entire film is filmed by her camera man Pablo with his news cam) and she's basically following the evening of a bunch of firefighters for a pieces called 'Whilst your asleep'. Begiening is just looking round the firestation, seeing what the guys get up to during downtime.

Then a call comes in. A small apartment building has called for assistance and so she and Pablo hitch along with the fire guys as they go to see whats up. They arrive and find some police already there. Apparently the residences called becuase they;ve heard a lot of screaming from this old womans apartment. The lead police guy goes up with the reporter and some fire guys. They find the woman in question in her bedroom, covered in blood. She stares fairly vancantly at them, and then screamsand throws herself at the cop, biting his neck badly. They pry her away and leave her with a fireman and take the badly bleeding cop down to get medical help, to find out that the building has already been sealed off for reasons unkown and what sounds like an armada of police outside tell them to stay in the building whilst they get a health inspector...

It goes from there, and is frankly fantastic, any horror fan who;s missed this gem needs to catch it ASAP, I loved every terrifying second. The acting is incredible, everybody plays there parts to a tee, and you get a strong sense from the leads that they are doing everything just as real people would in that situation.

Watch this, now.

If this has been talked about before, forgive me, I didn;t find anything in the search...

2. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Sounds like a really good movie. I'll have to see if I can find a copy of it sometime. If only I could convince my one sister to also watch it. She's kinda funny to see watch any kind of horror movies. She freaked out watching Sings, and that wasn't even a horror movie.

3. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime is an apathetic douchebag

I heard about this. they're making a remake called Quarantine here in the states, but I really wanna find this [REC] movie and give it a go. Does anyone know any stores of rental places here carry it? Or am I off to Amazon?

4. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    A US "remake" is being released later this year as Quarantine: Quarantine (2008) (Trailer in the link)

I saw the trailer for it when I saw Hancock.

5. Vector Sigma

Do not under any circumstances watch the trailer for quarantine, or indeed look at anything about it, if you don;t want to be MAJORLY spoiled as to pertinent plot elements...

*EDIT* Having just watched said trailer (was going on what i heard before) DO NOT WATCH IT if you want to be at all surprised by anything that happens in the film. Idiots give away large chunks of the plot...

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  6. The_Bardock

The_Bardock ****** of the Minicons

Ya I watched the quarantine trailer infront of hancock and thought it looked like crap. So I guess the original is better?

7. Vector Sigma

Substancially, thers none of that blair witch 'found footage' crap for a start, it's just the tape, nothing else. Although I suppose that that crap in the trailer might just be fore the trailer and not in the film at all as sometimes happens. Actually just found the REC teaser, none of which was footage from the film.

The following link has bits of actual footage indispersed with people from a showing talking about it, no subs, but you get the idea at least:

YouTube - [REC] Entrevistas al p├║blico

8. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    QFT!

Oh my God. I saw the preview for Quarantine a month ago, and all I can say is director John Erick Dowdle is a dumbass.

Well folks, let me put it to you this way: <Read this ONLY if you saw the Quarantine trailer!>If you saw the trailer for Quarantine, then you pretty much saw the entire film of [REC]. Even the last shot of [REC] is the very last shot of the Quarantine trailer! You'd think Hollywood wouldn't get this bad with their revealing trailers but...damn.

Thanks for spoiling the entire film Dowdle. Ass.

A word of the wise, avoid the Quarantine trailer like the plague, and just rent [REC].

9. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I couldn't fucking -believe- the Quarantine trailer.

10. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Where is Mr. Roboto?
    He turned me on to that movie a couple of months ago.

Completely agree.
    I couldn't believe how freaked out I was by the end of the movie.

11. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
  12. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I don't either. If he really believes he hasn't spoiled the ending, he must have tacked on pointless crap at the end.
    [REC] is brilliant. The first movie in years that's actually scared me (and I watch a LOT of horror movies). Collossally reccomended.

13. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

I have not seen the trailer for Quarantine, nor do I want to, but I want to buy REC right now! I have been wanting to see it for a long time....anybody have a link?

14. Mr.Roboto

Mr.Roboto YOU'RE A SHRUB ROCKETEER! Veteran

News Credits:
    I AM WITH EVERYBODY ON THE QUARANTINE TRAILER!!! WTF were they thinking? Seriously, are they retarded? Geez, I'll still watch the movie but come on!!

And yes, [REC] is one of the best Zombie-True-Horror movie to come out in years!! I still haven't found myself a decently priced copy on DVD. Forgot to look for it at SDCC this year. DOH!!!

15. Master Megatron

Master Megatron Action Bastard

Aww...no NTSC dvd?

16. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

Saw the trailer once. Fortunately forgot most of it beyond the premise. I would really like to see [REC] first. Last I checked (about... 2 months ago?) there was no sign of a NA DVD.

17. Mr.Roboto

Mr.Roboto YOU'RE A SHRUB ROCKETEER! Veteran

News Credits:
    Nah, no NA release. There are other methods though. But I do want a DVD copy cause its one of those movies that you must own.

18. Vector Sigma

We're getting a british release in the near future according to Amazon, so they'll be a PAL version knocking around. But I doubt we'd get it and you guys not, so maybe there is now hope for a NA release?...

19. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I want to see this, but I have no idea where to find it :( 

20. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Ironically, having seen the Quarantine trailer before even knowing about REC, I wouldn't have had the ending to the movie spoiled if it hadn't been specifically pointed out in this thread that the last part of the trailer is the last part of the movie.

Hrmph.