Rebuilding the Gobots

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Mako Crab, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Every once in a while I like to kick around the idea of what updated Gobots would look like today. Basically, what would their alt modes be? Thought it might be a fun way to kill a few hours. :) 

I'm just going to pick some random guys I like off the big TFU list.

First up: SPARKY

I always liked Sparky on the old cartoon. One of the many good female Guardian characters. Her alt mode is a red Fiero, I think. There are a ton of red characters on Gobots though. Don't know why, but to try and help Sparky stand out from the sea of redshirts, I was thinking maybe give her some accents, make her a two-tone, or change her color entirely. For a new alt-mode, I was thinking something small and sporty like her original. At the same time I'm trying to stay away from alt-modes used by TFs recently like the Solstice. So maybe something like... a Mazda RX-7 or RX-8. What do you think?

[​IMG]

And in yellow.

[​IMG]

Sporty enough?

2. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord

I'd just give them a backstory similar to Machine Robo and import those episodes over (like Revenge of Cronos)

3. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

You want Sparky to be Alternators Shockblast?

4. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    After seeing pics of that Lamborghini being used for the new Alternity Seekers, I starting thinking that a black version would make a pretty cool Crasher.

5. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    apparantly he does

6. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

It would be cool to see GoBots as legend size figures in Generations. I remember having Turbo as a kid.

7. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think as far as updating Gobots go, if you're going for an update that's along the lines of Classics/Universe 2.0, then your options would be subject to the same limits that were set for Classics/Universe 2.0.

* Updated bot and/or vehicle design should be based on original version

* Color scheme from original model should be carried over to the update

8. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Yeah, "Classics" Gobots would be pretty awesome.

OR!!! "Classics" Gobots toys that are fully articulated like your typical Classics and Universe fare, but retain the 70's/80's alt modes of Machine Robo. A cool little counter to the Classics "updating" of things.

Anyway, I'll do a little digging and come back with updated alt modes for characters.

9. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    Yeah... I forgot that the RX-8 had already been used by Alternators. But that was the inferior 2004 model. Pfft! Who cares about that thing, when we have the 2010 model here! *L* Okay, so if not a RX-8, then what would make a good Sparky?

MR may have better animation but that's it. Those stories... they not so good. I seem to recall the human looking androids were the stars of the show while the MRs were limited to background characters and supporting roles. Although I do think it's funny to see "Cy-kill" and "Fitor" doing heroic stuff.

10. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    Keep looking, Kusanagi! In the meantime, let's move on to another Gobot.

DIVE DIVE

Anyway, I think we have a good opportunity to really change up a character with Double D here. He turns into a submarine, but unless he does some serious mass shifting, he's still the same size as everyone else in robot mode. Why not give him something a little less cumbersome? Why not something like the Aqua Personal Subermsible!

[​IMG]

It still maintains the basic shape of a sub, but it's much smaller and a little out of the ordinary. Of course, this is just a concept sub at the moment, but that shouldn't stop us from using it. :)  Maybe something like this or a more traditional research submersible with the claw arms and everything. What do you think?

11. weeklyhero

weeklyhero Prototytan

Wow that thing's pretty cool looking. Is it actually under production, or only a design now? I tried finding some more smaller underwater vehicles, like the unmanned ones that searched the Titanic, but I can't find anything.

12. Mako Crab

News Credits:
  13. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    That submersible looks very cool.

There was a Go-bot called 'Dive Dive'? That's...actually kinda cute.

14. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    I think so too. I used to have him. He was one of my first Gobots ever. :D 

I feel like doing one more tonight. Who sounds good? Maybe... sure, let's do CRASHER

Easily my favorite character ever on the show. Crasher was gleefully destructive and really loved her work. Plus she had the lightning boot! Or is it the seismic boot? Whatever, it was cool and it always screwed up the Guardians. According to the wiki, her original alt mode is a Porsche 956. Nothing terribly wrong with that, although for her I'd want something that's actually street legal.
    Hm. Renegades taking on street legal forms. Seems so out of character for her, but whatever. :p  Thought I heard someone mention the new lambo?

[​IMG]
    This is the 2010 Lamborghini Gallardo. In this color and angle, it looks pretty good, although I have to admit I'm not a big fan of the wedge shape of the car. I always thought the Ford GT-40 would be a good fit for her, but Alternators went and used that model already! Surely there must be something else that would work? Mmmmaybe the 2010 Saleen Raptor?

[​IMG]

And in black
    [​IMG]
    I think this might do it. It still has the nice curves in the fenders like the porsche, and the sort of wedge shape of the lambo. Of course, it must be in black (maybe with white accents to acknowledge her repaint).

In Crasher's case, she's already been upgraded as Fracture with a Formula 1 alt-mode, but I could never picture a skinny little open-wheel F1 racer ramming through walls and crashing into other cars for fun. She needs something a little more solid looking. What do you think?

15. Protoman

Protoman The Legendary One Veteran

News Credits:
    Sadly, at the moment, all we can get is "nods" to Gobots. Maybe one day we will get something more straight up.....

16. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think the personal sub would make a good update for Dive Dive :)  Good call.

Bandai's still producing Machine Robo. Admittedly different branding and characters, but if you're willing to repurpose them, they'd be adequate to some degree.

17. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The gobots could be great if updated.

I liked leader-ones macross/ robotech look.

[​IMG]

Now for female gobot pathfinder

[​IMG]

Can can only think of one thing.

[​IMG]

Sorry but that's what i think of everytime i see her in ship mode.

18. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    A destructive bad girl? Crasher sounds like my kinda female!

19. weeklyhero

weeklyhero Prototytan

She was the only one in the cartoon that I even remember having a personality. Fracture was one of the few Classics figures I bought, just for the homage (I felt like a huge geek telling my wife about it). I could see her being more of a muscle car though, like a Charger or Mustang, something with a lot more power and looks like it can take as much damage as it can dish out.

20. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

As for Crasher being a Porsche 956, there are some very rare street-legal 962's which are same design. A German car-tuning company called Koenig-Specials makes a very cool purposely built street-legal 962 dubbed C-62. Ironically, C could mean Crasher?

I don't think Gobots sold as well as Transformers did, so updating them could help. Maybe have some Masterpiece versions done? I wouldn't mind a Masterpiece version of Herr-Fiend, the Super Go-Bot Porsche 928.