Customs: Rebuilding MP3 Soundwave

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by MegaMoonMan, Aug 11, 2009.

1. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    So I've got a non-working music label Soundwave on the way. I'm hoping I can fix it, but if I can't - has anyone tried gutting one of these and installing a new MP3 player with a screen?

I'd like to put a screen in his chest (I'd use a player with built-in memory so it won't need to open anymore) and rewire the buttons on his pelvis to work with it. I'd also like to get one of those little speaker cannons to replace his shoulder cannon.

2. Maloknazh

Maloknazh Black Metal Ist Krieg

Ebay:
    Depending on the mp3 player it could work. A cable input for memory transfer would also have to be considered. I havent tried it, but if you cna get it to work, then congratulations!

3. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

This sounds like a good idea.

4. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    What is this 'Speaker Canon" of which you speak? Could be just what I need for a coupla builds I've got going....

5. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    One of these:

[​IMG]

Might be too big for him - but I'm also considering just doing this to a G1 Soundwave. More room to work, maybe make the buttons on front actual buttons, put the speaker jack on his shoulder, plenty of room in his chest for a screen.

6. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    Nice! Not sure if it'll work for my project, but good to know!

And yeah, you might well be better off converting a "real" Soundwave, the case-mod people would love it ;)  And for a G1 figure he's really very nicely articulated, you wouldn't need to do much to bring him up to "modern standards."

I'm a total microchange-addict, so I eagerly look forward to whatever you come up with!

D/L

7. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I just found that speaker (in black) for $9 shipped on ebay, I also found a tiny 1GB MP3 player at Target for $9. No screen, but it will fit in either Soundwave. It's got a wheel instead of buttons - that may be hard to work around.

This project is underway! I've decided to just do G1 Soundwave for now, since the mods to turn him into a functional MP3 player should be very minor.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  8. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    heck, you ought to be able to still open the chest even with a screen, if you do it right. You likely wouldn't have room to actually fit one of his minions in there anymore, but that'd still be cool.

9. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Looking at G1 Soundwave (double deck version), there's a lot less room to work with than I thought. I'd have to sacrifice either his ability to hold two tapes, or half of his battery compartment. I'm not worrying about a screen right now, the $9 1GB MP3 player I found is too cheap and tiny NOT to use - it's perfect.

I'm thinking of going the battery compartment route - if I start using that speaker cannon as his main shoulder gun, it wouldn't fit in the compartment anymore anyway.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
  10. batcam11

batcam11 SHINIGAMI CHOP!!!

i have a friend to bad he is a SPAMMER but he can fix every transformer
    he fixed mine mp3 soundwave

11. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    I can't wait to see how this comes out! :thumbs2: 

What the hell?? :confused: 

12. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    This sounds like a very cool project, MMM. Good luck with it and post some WIP & finished shots--I'm looking forward to seeing more on this, man.

13. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Yay?

Spam aside - does anyone remember that G1 Blaster that someone did this to? I tried to find pics, but the only links I found were erased. It was an MP3 player with a screen in his chest, and I believe it even had speakers in the legs. I can't believe no one has tried to do this with G1 Soundwave.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
  14. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun UNLEASHED!

News Credits:
    Then again, Blaster is larger then G1 Soudnwave, but good luck on this project!

15. Malunis_T

Malunis_T Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    An excellent project, I commend you on doing this! Hope to see more progress soon. :) 

On a side note: What's the name of the little speaker you're using? I'd love to get one just for normal use.

16. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    It's a MacAlly IP-A111. you better hurry if you want one, they are discontinued and out of stock most everywhere.

17. JazzEd

JazzEd Truckasaurus!

megamoonman, if you need a tiny lcd monitor, pm me. I have one, if you know how to solder and do the wire work.

18. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Not gonna need it this round, the MP3 player I'm using doesn't use one - and I have no idea how I would add one. Rewire and replace switches I can do, but adding on something like that is a little out of my expertise.

I'm still waiting on a couple components to start, and the plan is solid so far, just one snag - anybody ever take apart the TRU reissue Soundwave? His body is held together with screws AND internal pins in the corners, and I can't figure out how to pop the ones above his hips without tearing him up.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  19. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    This is coming along nicely, I'm just waiting on some specialized buttons for his functions to arrive and he will be done. I was able to fit it all in his chest, and the buttons will go on his waist below the "real" ones. There wasn't enough room to make the existing buttons into real ones without extreme modification. He can still fit one tape for sure, maybe two.

I ended up having to put the speaker jack sticking up out of his shoulder as there was not enough room in his chest, so his original cannon will no longer work - but the new speaker cannon looks great.

I also got my music label Soundwave, and I think I fixed fix him - I'm just waiting on a 1GB memory card to arrive. My 4GB didn't work (I'm assuming it just isn't compatible). I'm also going to make a raised adapter so he can use the speaker cannon as well, it's too close to his head as is.

Pics to come in the near future.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  20. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    how'd you finally pop him apart?