Reboot: What would you like to see done differently?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by whiskeytango, Jul 1, 2011.

1. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

Obviously, its a little early to be thinking about this (though with the Spiderman reboot coming already, maybe its not), and if there are new movies, they might not even be reboots, but assuming there is going to be a reboot, what would you like to see in it that you didn't see in the bay-trilogy?

Personally, heres a few things:

- a return to more "traditional" transformers designs. They don't have to be g1 blocky, but something that you see, and it screams "transformers!" to you. Thats just something I never got from the bayverse designs. Also, i feel like more "solid" bodies would make it easier to always be able to tell bots apart from one another.

- less acrobatics. Don't get me wrong, it was cool in all three films when there was some crazy jumping around going on, but it really just didn't make a bit of sense. These characters are soldiers, not martial artists. I mean, sure some of them are, but when practically every fight devolved into the characters flipping around each other, it made it seem less like war, and more like choreography

- not every kill being as over the top as possible. I mean... jesus. By the end, it was just getting ridiculous. Mortal Kombat might start taking its cues from Michael Bay. Kills don't have to be like that to still be brutal and have impact. A good counter point is the '86 film. Prowl, Ironhide, Brawn, and Optimus all stayed in one piece when they were killed, but it was still rough.

- those are all kind of minor compared to this one: Make the robots the main characters. I really don't understand why film makers think there almost always has to be an audience surrogate. Audiences really don't have to have some one to stand around and say "whoa" for everything. Or if there just HAS to be an audience surrogate, make them a supporting character, like Ariadne in Inception.

- lets see some pre-earth stuff. Maybe even an entire movie about what happened on cybertron. I know that one is the biggest pipe dream, but I'd still like to see it.

- make the decepticons a threat. The first movie had this right. They were truly a force to be feared, and not just because of their numbers (which i feel like was the only thing to fear from them in RotF and DotM). In the first one, when Starscream showed up at Mission City, even Ironhide was visibly worried. Then by the second movie, Prime could fight and defeat three of the biggest decepticons at the same time. Only reason he lost the fight was because he was distracted. Don't get me wrong, I want Prime to be a huge badass, but not at the expense of the Decepticons being little girls.

I'm sure theres a thousand more things I could mention, but I'll leave the rest to you.

Also, I know its inevitable, but lets keep the bickering about things to a minimum. Its not like we all have to agree.

2. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    I like to see some old cars from the 40 - 80. All the cars in the movies now came out in this century.

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Make Ratchet a main character.

4. awesomem131

awesomem131 Well-Known Member

I would like to see Optimus Prime's death more dramatic like his G1 death.

5. loneliest#

loneliest# Well-Known Member

I would love to see some more race cars but only if the toy department stops being stingy with the paint.

6. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    I'd like to see Pixar try it's hands at doing Transformers.

7. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Go Dennis Erb Jr. #28!!!

News Credits:
    Although pixar is great, I'd rather it be live-action

8. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    Cars that are more of a disguise and less of a "Holy crap that kid stole that from a concept car show!!"

Also, why are the bots always so dirty looking and the alt modes are so clean?

9. uruseiranma

uruseiranma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Speaking of whining bickering humans...they could always keep the outlandish caricatures and loud demanding humans to a bare minimum.

One reviewer on AICN had a good comment: Bay loves to cast people and then make them yell loudly or turn them into stupid idiots (several people I know said they could have just cast an unknown in place of Malkovich).

It's like he needs crazy humans to 'compete' against the insanity of giant killer robots in his movies.

10. Goldlock

Goldlock and don't call me Shirley

News Credits:
    It doesn't bother me either way if/when/how they do a reboot...

But for the sake of the director; they may as well do a complete scene-for-scene copy of the '86 movie. That's the only way a mountain of fans aren't going to jump down their throat (or maybe they still will anyway?!). :lol 

11. Tkemert20

Tkemert20 「Dojyaaa~n」 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I actually have a whole script written for a reboot. :I

12. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    They will, trust me.

13. megatron6661

megatron6661 Well-Known Member

I love the design of the transformers in the bay films, if they want to make another reboot has a film, they have to up the anti in the way bay does it. If they do reboot the films, I really hope they do not change the transformers design. I say keep it going with new decepticons, if Spielberg directs the films, it will be just has enjoyable. Why go G1, because if they do, they may is well make straight to DVD film.

14. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    Introduce some new character traits for classic characters. For example: Make Starscream a large, bulky, powerful robot, his is a brave soldier devoted to serving Megatron.

But then, everyone would complain because they can't handle anything new.

15. Rodentus prime

Rodentus prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This. The films should be based around the characters of the robots and from a more alien perspective, not have them as the supporting special effects.

16. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

This x9001

Poor, poor Ratchet. He did nothing for the entirety of the movies, except for helping with Brawl.

17. dkr7

dkr7 "Argh' Hexagonal Nuts!"

News Credits:
    i would like it to be about transformers instead of humans, let the transformers be the main characters not extras, and just have humans as back up

18. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

I'd say there's a huge difference between introducing new things, and completely rewriting a character. If they want to do new things, I'm perfectly fine with that, just come up with a brand new character to do it with. And if you don't want to come up with a new character, use a pre existing one. Transformers (especially g1) has a ridiculously huge cast of characters to choose from. Using your example I could name a dozen Cons that fit the bill,it doesn't have to be starscream.

I mean, what's the point of choosing a specific character if the only part of said character you're going to use is the name? For fan service? Cause that's just going to piss off fans more than if you didn't include them at all.

19. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

Though I think it would be cool to see an updated version of the 86 film, I would only want that as like a direct to DVD sort of thing like marvel and dc do with alot of their stuff. I wouldn't want it to be the transformers movie. G1 is dead and gone, it'd be dumb to have a movie that takes place in the middle of it's continuity

20. Bumblebee92

Bumblebee92 Wheeljack Fan

I would like to see the character models based off the classic line in the movies. It may feel more modern to base the models off the alternators line. And you can still have humans but have the ones from G1 meaning Spike,Carly,Sparkplug, and Chip. Call me crazy but I wouldn't mind if Taylor Swift played Carly lol. In this reboot I'd also like them to focus on the robots a little more.