Rebirth of the Legacy?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Grimlockimus, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Grimlockimus

Grimlockimus Wot?

News Credits:
    Something I've started to notice more and more as new forms of Transformer media comes out, whether it be the movies, or the new shows, is that the more we go further in the franchise, the more we take from the older shows, and their characters.

If the live action movies were to be known for one thing, it'd probably have to be bringing the classic characters into the eyes of the public once more.

Before the movie, there were no Bumblebee's in any series, if correct, the only thing Bumblebee we had was the Classics toy, and that was about it. The movie brought Bumblebee, Ironhide, Ratchet, and Jazz back into the franchise from the dead.

And no, Energon Ironhide doesn't count. As far as I'm concerned, he doesn't exist.

Ever since then too, Bumblebee and Ratchet, two characters barely used in any show, are now in practically everything, with Jazz and Ironhide possibly following suit with TF: Prime.

Here's what I'm thinking though. More and more, old characters seem to be revived, seemingly pulled from the abyss of the franchise's history, and more and more. In just a year or so, we've seen:

-Shockwave
    -Constructicons
    -Soundwave
    -Shockwave
    -Wheeljack

Is the franchise slowly reaching it's golden age once more? With it's characters that made it such a phenomena being brought back and loved again?

2. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Sometimes it's good to 're-imagine' traditional G1 characters, but it's also good to introduce new and awesome characters.
    I wouldn't say the fact that Bumblebee, Ratchet et al are appearing in Prime represents anything like a 'golden age', especially as characters are generally depicted differently in each series. I mean, if they were, we wouldn't have the fantastic version of Arcee we have right now. And Bulkhead would just be a twinkle in the Allspark's eye...

3. Grimlockimus

Grimlockimus Wot?

News Credits:
    That's what I meant, whether I worded it right or not ^^"

It's the fact we're using these characters again, and creating them again. Besides, a G1 characterized Transformer really wouldn't be that well recieved by today's watchers, so naturally some tweaking would be made.

But still, I just find it interesting that after so long, we're going back to, well, the roots of the franchise, the characters that started it all. Just with new personalities that improve them.

And just looking back, we really haven't seen many of those characters for awhile until now.

Ratchet: Beast Machines - Cybertron

Bumblebee: Beast Machines - Cybertron

Soundwave: RID - Energon

4. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    The main reason why there wasn't a Bumblebee or Ratchet in the pre-movie lines was trademarks.

"Ratchet" is one of these "common word" names Hasbro only use with a prefix (e.g. "Autobot") these days because it's easier to defend in court. Before the movie, Hasbro avoided using any names that needed a prefix in their "main", cartoon-backed lines. Try to find an "Autobot someone" toy in Armada, Energon or Cybertron. You'll only find them in secondary lines such as the Commemorative Series reissues, Alternators and 2003-onwards Universe (there was a Universe "Autobot Ratchet", a redeco of RID X-Brawn). Hence the Armada/Cybertron Autobot medic goes by the name "Red Alert" instead (he's named "Ratchet" in the Japanese version of Armada). It wasn't until the 2007 movie line that "Autobot Jazz", "Autobot Ratchet", "Decepticon Frenzy" and "Decepticon Brawl" became acceptable names for "main line" toys that appeared as characters in a mainstream medium.

"Bumblebee" was off-limits for Hasbro entirely for a long time. Armada Hot Shot was actually meant to be named "Bumblebee" until trademark issues required a renaming. (There's a reason why the Heroes of Cybertron Bumblebee/Spike two-pack was officially named "Autobot Espionage Team".) Hasbro only made another attempt at getting the name back when Dreamworks/Paramount wanted to feature Bumblebee as a prominent character in the 2007 movie. The movie was actually slated for 2006 first, but was pushed back several times, so the first toys Hasbro ended up using the name on after getting it back were the Classics Deluxe, the Classics Legends toy and the 3" Titanium figure.