Rebirth may have a poor story but it does have good action, lines and voice acting

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Bass X0, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    Agree or disagree?

I agree. Episode two is quite bland in terms of action but episodes one and three are great. But there are memorable lines throughout because of the writing and voice actors.

2. scorpio-prime

scorpio-prime Dreamer with fists

The Rebirth is awesome, not only did it introduce some of my favourite toys but as you mentioned the voice acting is great and many of the character designs are some of the best in G1, such as:

Brainstorm and Arcana:

They're just a great combo, Brainstorms southern accent suits his eccentric genius perfectly, and Arcanas voice is one of warm and gentle wisdom.

Mindwipe:

His Bella Lugosi-esque accent was cheesy as anything, but when you're a kid you like your badguys strong and distinct. He speaks like a vampire, transforms into a bat and hypnotises his enemies - AWESOME!

Trigger Happy:

Such a simple but effective badguy - a drooling maniac who loves his gun.

Lord Zarak:

His cold, cruel and calculating character would have made him an excellent big badguy had the series continued, his icy voice leaves you in no doubt he means business.

Nightstick:

With so many new characters introduced at once, like most he doesn't get to do alot, but deserves special mention just for the marvelously meatheaded voice Peter Cullen gave him.

Oh, and of course the beloved Sixshot - he appears for all of about 15 seconds, yet that was enough to firmly cement him as a fan favourite, his flurry of offense is THAT well done.

3. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    No.

I do not.

As boring as Headmasters is, I prefer it by far.

Then again, I like to pretend that Rebirth never happened, so I'm clearly very biased.

4. tuddymus bee

tuddymus bee Well-Known Member

I loved rebirth, Fortress Maximus and Sixshot, that's enough for me

5. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Rebirth introduced way too many things way too rapidly for me to absorb anything.

6. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I disagree because I think the story is great as well. The only problems with Rebirth are that they had to cram too much into too few episodes because the order got cut, and that the animation was about on par with most of season 3. Which is to say it was pretty bad.

And I think Rebirth is about a billion times better than Headmasters in every possible way, other than actual animation quality.

7. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    No. It's the worst thing out of G1.

8. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It was OK. I prefer the "Headmasters", but it was decent, I liked it as a kid. I would still like it today if the animation was better, but the story was doomed as soon as they cut it down to 3 episodes instead of 5

9. gregles

gregles quintesson

I really like rebirth, till I joined fan sites I had no idea that it had any kind of negative reaction as in my opinion it had exactly the same quality as the rest of the g1 cartoon

10. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    This. I'm not a fan of the Headmaster/Targetmaster idea. It gets a bit confusing when thinking of who's partnered with whom.

11. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I was the opposite. I hated Rebirth as a kid but it grew on me as I rewatched it decades later, and now I love it.

Headmasters is undeniably superior from a technical standpoint, but feels mostly soulless to me.

Which is weird, because prior to ever watching Headmasters, just based on descriptions and synopsis I'd read, I had always assumed I would like Headmasters more.

12. signals3

signals3 Frightfully Important

News Credits:
    I didn't care for it when it first aired, and it hasn't grown on me much all these years later. As mentioned before, they had to cram too many characters into the thing, it was just a roll call for characters. "Hi, I'm Triggerhappy, and I really like punching, and kicking and what not". It may have been better if the animation wasn't to terrible, and it is terrible. If Toei had done it at least it would be watchable, but AKOM blew it as usual.

Another aspect that I didn't care for was the fact that, in terms of the Transformers cartoon that I loved so much, this was it. The end. No more new shows. We meet all of these new characters, and we don't even get to see what happens to them later on. It was very depressing, and I was only 12. I would also have preferred that they kinda went with the Japanese version of events. The whole Nebulon thing always kinda bothered me. I had always thought that having a neat robot that turned into sumthin' was enough, but now we have Headpeople, and Targetpersons, and all of these things. There were plenty of adventures to show, and I wish they would have kept the show going. The Return of Optimus Prime was a more fitting finale.

13. Hotshotprime43

Hotshotprime43 Well-Known Member

I would like it if it wasn't the end of the G1 show but because of it the show dosent have an actual ending. If it ended with The return of Optimus Prime the show would have an actual ending that would easily make it connect to beast Wars but no instead of a truths that could lead to the Pax Cybertronia we have the cons still out there fighting the Autobots

14. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Disagree.

the action isn't anything we haven't seen before. in fact the big battle in the beginning, that was supposed to be ALL the decepticons, was downright pathetic. The writing was boring, there are no good lines. The voice acting was dull, which is about the best you can expect given the material.

Rebirth was an absolute, irredeemable low point in the G1 TV series.

15. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Undoubtedly has a lot to do with plans changing from the opener to a fourth season, to a three-part miniseries with an unknown number of intermediate steps.

In my opinion it's not too terrible as an origin story for the various 'masters', but trying to cram the rest of the 1987 toy line into the first act of the first episode really hurt things.

- but it gave us that "I hear my Autobot counterpart is nearby ... REAL nearby." business, and I can't hate that no matter how much it's begging for it. :) 

16. Quirriff

Quirriff Well-Known Member

Wow you must like B.O.T, City of Steel and the autobot run.

Seriously if Nelsen Shin didn't give so many episodes to his awful pet company we'd have more G1 episode, and less shit ones like B.O.T.

17. Avengers

Avengers Banned

A few of the fight scenes I enjoyed. but the story was lacking and terrible.

18. Quirriff

Quirriff Well-Known Member

It was the best that could be done under the circumstances, David Wise had 3 episodes to introduce headmasters/Targetmasters 100 new characters or so and still make slagging sense.

The Japanese Headmasters series was awful in so many ways I don't want to give myself carpal tunnel by listing them all.

Now if they didn't botch up many of the earlier episodes especially season 3 by giving them to AKOM to work on maybe season 4 wouldn't have been canceled and they'd have time for a less rushed story.

19. Obsidian X

Obsidian X Dork of the moon

I can't remember any good action or lines.. then again I havn't seen it in years and I usually skip it when I watch some G1.
    I would have preferd if the cartoon ended with The Return of Optimus Prime part 2.
    That would to me be a pretty cool ending to the show. Galvatron giving Optimus some cred and all.
    I don't like Rebirth at all, it's been said before in the thread but to me it's mostly a roll call of new characters. Then again I am not a fan of organic beings bonding with cybertronians so I am definatly biased in that regard. Cool to see some of the later G1 era toys in animation though. Then again I can see them in the Headmasters cartoon (which I prefer over Rebirth, even though that show isn't all that compelling to me either).

20. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I just disliked the little green men/organic fusion element. I much prefer the Headmasters story with the Transectors (larger robots as built mechs). Other than that, I'm still amazed by how many characters were introduced and how well it was done. I remember as a kid I was so excited for Season 4 to start . . . until the end of "The Rebirth" where the end truly came.

Could it have been done better? SURE. I'm just glad that given The Transformers had been canceled and the story cut down to three instead of five it came out as well as it did and it was wrapped up nicely.