Reasons I liked the Bay versions of Transformers

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by twiztidRodimus, Nov 5, 2011.

1. twiztidRodimus

twiztidRodimus Shattered Glass Autobot

News Credits:
    Since the maturity of people that happen to like the characterizations of the Bay versions has been crapped on, simply due to differing opinions. This thread will be for deeper more detailed reasons why I like Bay's versions of the characters.

In NO means is this to knock g1, Im 28, and grew up with the old school, this is to give reason to why I like the Bay versions AS WELL as the G1

1) Optimus Prime:
    The most obvious reason is his willingness to kill when necessary. He is not smiling when he does it, he just know's he needed to do what needed to be done to make sure that the Decepticon threat was finished. The relationship he has with his fellow autobots is more miltant than emotionally driven, and in a war, he had become numb to emotions and just acted.

In TF1, He mourned the loss of Jazz, felt like he failed in reasoning with Megatron, and seemed to mourn his passing as well. He still had the ''Hope'' that he could talk to him, and try and create some sort of truce. Megatron just didn't agree. Thus given way to the actions of ROTF/DOTM, to take out Megatron and his crew, to end the threat to the planet that they now called their home. And I like that about this version. Finality.

2) Bumblebee:
    The voice thing seemed weird at first, but it was a unique way to have him show emotion without having to show it. His fighting style is very refined and fast paced, I liked his transformations in-battle and how he used it to his advantage.

His relationship with Spike/Sam was okay, I do wish they had more time to build on it as friends rather than just the guardian thing though.

3) Ironhide:
    Most peoples favorite of the bots, And its hard to deny his coolness. Very close to the G1 characters, though not red. His attitude was what I see Optimus becoming towards the third movie, and after his death, I believe this triggered that killer instinct in Prime. His style of fighting was more direct, powerhouse and shotgun to the face. Very different from Bee which made them a great combination

4) Sideswipe:
    Coolest of the cool. No fighting that debate. Arrogant like G1 'Swipe, very agile, fast, and efficient. Probably the most efficient of the bot's in battle. He seemed to take command whenever he wanted to, And followed them as well.

I will add more as time continues on, I want to see more from you guys. And honestly, just a way to show that you CAN like the Bay versions, Don't be ashamed.

2. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I'm not gonna question why ayone does or doesn't like something- to each their wn. But when it comes to crapping on each other, all sides need to be more accommodating to each other and quit being such dicks to each other.

Especially quit being dicks about it.

That said, I agree that Optimus actually being a warrior is refreshing... altho I didn' see his "mourning" Jazz all that deep. I'm surprised he didn't toss the Jazz halves over his sholder.

NOr did he break both legs to take the gun key to the ocen floor to revive him, either.

Bumblebee needs to start talking. It was cute in the beginning, but start talking. He can do it.

Not enough Ironhide.

Not enough Sideswipe.

DOTM was a positive step forward to putting more robots on the screen, but I'm hoping that Bay will only produce the next one (so that he can direct thinkg other than TF's) and another Director can actually give characters *other than Prime and BB* some actual screen time.

I'm not in love with the bot designs, but I have gotten used to them- but have always liked their interaction with the real world. Have to give Bay credit for having an uncompromising eye for not letting ILM's compositers slack off.

The score- Steve Jablonsky rocks. 'Nuff said.

As time progresses, I hope ILM ramps up their computers more... while at the same time the bots polygon counts optimizes more so that we can actually have characters, not just a few walking around.

3. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I also really liked the characterization of Bumblebee, especially in the first film. I've never really been a fan of the character, but for some reason, Bay-bee managed to really show the courage and pluck the character has always been centred around, and without using his own voice (I thought I was going to HATE the radio-voice)! I liked his back-and-forths with Sam and the relationship the two of them had as well, but I felt like a lot of the aspects I liked in Bumblebee were kind of dropped in the 2nd and 3rd film.

To be frank, I felt that bumblebee driving around without legs, still fighting, said more about the character and was a much more powerful sequence than his kung-fu acrobatics in the 2nd and 3rd film, though I liked the chase sequence in DOTM.

4. BlueSkids

BlueSkids Member

Generally I liked the sounds in the franchise, ( specially the "star sounds" on the Paramount intro :D  ). The transformations, the cybertronian voices, the voices and so on. I also enjoyed the score; I think tracks like "The arrival" and " Scorponock " are pretty cool. And strangely I liked the abundancy of machine guns as the main armament of a lot of Transformers.
    Starscream's vulcan cannons on his forearms are, well, awesome! XD

5. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    The movieverse has always facsinated me since the first movie! What I really like is how they tied our technologicaly history with the Transformers. It really gives that notion that we have a deeper connection with them more then ever!

6. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    The Transformers that was introduced by Bay and his team is so very raw and amazing in on so many levels.

Obviously we want to see more screen time for characters like Sideswipe or Ironhide, but unless rendering or rigging these robots becomes super cheap, not much will change.

I've enjoyed what little screen time any robot has had, specially characters like Mirage/Dino, Ironhide, Starscream and so many more, practically all of them.

7. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Just a few good things off the top of my head.

Prime got updated to something you'd actually seen on American highways today. Can't name the last time I saw a flatnose on the road so they are kind of a relic of the past.

Ironhide's alt mode got updated to something that fit his personality better.

The more alien looking weapons looked really cool. Not that the bullet based weapons weren't cool, but things like the energy based weapons just had that cool effect that you go to sci fi movies for.

Some of the chirography on the action scenes were just top notch like Prime parachutes out of the plane or when Bumblebee transforms on the highway with Sam inside.

8. ARCTrooperAlpha

ARCTrooperAlpha Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I only like the OST.

9. Krueger

Krueger Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My Thoughts On The films

I like some of the designs over others. To this very day I still think Starscream is completely wrong. No way he should look like that. On the other hand, I think Prime, complete with flames, actually got the best treatment, design-wise, out of anyone.

I like the films as action spectacles. I don’t think anyone, if they’re being completely honest with themselves, can fault the films visually. As actual pieces of filmmaking, though, they do have serious shortcomings, particularly the second one.

I still eagerly await the day when we’ll have a Transformers film that’s actually about the Transformers themselves. I’m sure its coming. All in all, though, I’m still about 75% happy with the way the films turned out. I personally think DOTM came the closest to giving us a film about the actual robots themselves, but they still could have gone further. If Bay must direct TF4 (which in a way I’m hoping is not the case), I just hope he makes it more DOTM and TF1, and less ROTF.

10. Russian fan

Russian fan Proud Autobot Ally TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I largely agree (but not at all, especially in the first item!), but I'm a girl, I have a female logic :)  , I just love the films, from head to foot, as people say. For everything and anyone that is in it!
    (If I would start to write, for which I love the films, I am wouldn't stopped before morning!:) )

11. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    When I first saw the 2007 movie, I remember seeing Starscream appear and being excited to see him as an F-22 - then uttering a very loud WTF when he transformed. To say it didn't work for me would have been an understatement.

Fast forwarding to Dark of the Moon, I decided I'd get a DotM Starscream just so I could have a movie representation along with my other Starscreams. I expected to fully hate the toy, transform it once, and then ignore it forever. i actually found I liked the toy quite a bit, and I'll admit that the design has grown on me. Enough that I had to get the other two Seekers to go with him.

12. arceelover13

arceelover13 Well-Known Member

You know even if she got craped on by Michael Bay I love how he connected Arcee and her sisters. And I especially love how they were handled in the comics, sisters split buy war, two of them killed, and to be reunited by a mad scientists as a deception experiment. I love Arcee. Then to have three of the best warriors in the autobot army joined into one is a really kool!! That's why I love Arcee

13. 13 Primes

13 Primes Well-Known Member

I Love The Films! Nothing Beats Them For Me

My Favorite thing is Optimus! I Just Absolutely Love Movie Optimus :D 
    Of course he is My Favorite thing About Transformers in General so :tongue: 

My other Favorite thing is There Designs I Love each one of them

I Love each Story, I Love Each Robots Character and Personality

I Love the Action

I Love The movies Score (Awesome Music)

There is a Lot Of things I Love About the Films! These are Just a Few :D 

14. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran

News Credits:
    Most intelligent thing I've read in this forum in a long time. Also, sigged.

15. SamWitwickyGirl

SamWitwickyGirl Banned

News Credits:
    I like how there's a human and a robot hero group.
    They work together. that's something really unique for a movie.
    i like to say that optimus is the main transformer hero and sam
    is the main human hero. So there's something special there that michael
    bay should explore more in the fourth one, if there is going to be one.
    Like whenever sam and optimus have those little talks, you can tell
    sam is concerned about something, but he admires optimus prime. Like you can
    tell he has respect for him. and vice versa. Like in TF2, when optimus was asking
    sam for help, and sam was kinda turning on him, just wanting to be normal, he said "youre a PRIME. you dont need me." and optimus was sad that he didnt want to help anymore. They both needed each other. Optimus saved sam's life sooo many times, and then sam saved his. They also both killed megatron. They're like one in the same. that's what stood out the most for me in these films, that g1 OBVIOUSLY didn't have.

16. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I also liked the idea of N.E.S.T. While the human presence, especially in a military sense, was overbearing at times in ROTF and DOTM, I liked the core concept of humans working with the Autobots as more than sidekicks in defending earth against the Decepticons. Even if the Autobots did the heavy lifting, the humans could still make themselves useful allies.

There were a lot of times when the concept was weighted too far on one side or the other, and there's a lot of cases where I wasn't satisfied with how it developed, but the core concept has a lot of mileage to me.

17. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    NEST was nothing more than the JOE team. It would have been nice to just call Lennox Duke.

18. Astronut

Astronut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have nothing against the personalities of the "bayformers", it's the messy design I don't like. You can't see what's going on half the time, even in stills from the movies it's often difficult to see what part of the robot you're looking at. The vehicle parts are rarely parts of the robot except as panels. You don't see the hood of a car as someone's chest, the front as someone's feet etc. Instead there's a robot skeleton somewhat covered by a billion panels. I just think a lot of the "robots in disguise" effect is lost in these designs.

I still don't know what's up and what's down on Starscream.

19. Chromia217

Chromia217 I luv Mark Hamill

:cool:  :thumb :thumb :thumb 

20. SamWitwickyGirl

SamWitwickyGirl Banned

News Credits:
    i think the robots looked awesome. Especially in those scenes where they looked so real. its like, shit they are real. lol (not literally) but it really felt that way. Like in other sci fi movies, effects can look good, but not extrememly realistic...the robots in transformers is the first time where i was taken back by how real they look. optimus and bumblebee took the cake for that in most scenes. They're the ones that had those moments where its almost scary how real they look.