Reasonable price to pay for Universe 2.0 Deluxe at retail?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by clubninja, Jul 26, 2009.

1. clubninja

clubninja Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I really like the Universe figures and, while larger classes still seem to be available at TRU and other stores to a lesser extent, the Deluxe figures are nowhere to be found. Some are available online, eBay, here, but it's hit or miss and you have to factor in shipping costs and pay whatever people are asking.

I have local brick and mortar access to a few figures (brand new) but they're priced at nearly $20. I find it hard to rationalize purchasing them at that price. I've even considered figure + shipping of an online purchase as a comparable, but I still just can't get myself there. I enjoy the figures very much, but am frugal and quickly start thinking about what other toys I can get for that amount instead. Is there a better alternative to getting these guys, is this actually a fair deal at this point, or should I just forget about them and leave 'em on the shelf? It's tough to spend almost $20 when I found a lone random Smokescreen at TRU a few weeks ago for $9.99.

2. bumblebot98

bumblebot98 Banned

News Credits:
    in the uk the universe deluxes are £12.99.

3. twichy

twichy Well-Known Member

i found a inferno for 5 bucks at retail, i find that very reasonable... i think the secret is someone bought it and returned it after they were off the shelf so it was clearanced... which gives me an idea for how to get low priced toys in the future...

4. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You can try and pick them up loose at hobby stores or here on the boards in the Junkion Exchange.

Scope out some wal-marts too. Two of the 12 walmarts in my area still have sideswipes and ironhides

5. Ethereal

Ethereal A Sad Flareon

I'd say it depends on the figure. For example, I really would like to buy a Universe Cyclonus. Everyone on here raves about him :D . If I stumbled across him at retail for $15-$20, considering how rare he is and how much praise he gets, I'd suck it up and spend the money.

So my suggestion would be to check out A) how rare the figure is and B) how much people here love him (the Feedback section is really good for a broad opinion). Try that out first and see what you find. Since you didn't specify any figure in particular, that's about as much good advice I can give ^_^

6. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    The only place I am still finding universe deluxes are at local drugstores, and they are running around 18 bucks.

7. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yes, look for them on the Junkion Exchange. If you need a lot, look for classic lots on ebay where you can buy a bunch and save on shipping.

8. redoptics

redoptics Banned

i have a wave 2 deluxe voyager and ultra class can cut you a deal but im in uk so there will be shipping charges

9. Excelsior Prime

Excelsior Prime Autobot Leader

I've seen Galvatron, Sideswipe, Tankor, and Prowl at my local Rite Aids.

They are $18.99 a pop...which is why I haven't purchased them yet.

But the fact remains, even getting them from someone here is going to come near that price with shipping...so it might be best to bite the bullet and go for it.

Has anyone seen these at Ross Dress for Less or Burke's Outlet?

10. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    buy in lots off the junkion, shipping becomes very little per figure, and unless you are looking for misb, you can get them cheap,

11. Alexander Quinn

Alexander Quinn Well-Known Member

Depends on where you live my friend. Up here in sunny Canada, we're paying $14.99 a pop for Universe Deluxes, and the local Zellers has pegs full of Cyclonus, Cheetor, Starscream, Hound and Dinobot last I checked. Also has a fair stock of Animated.

I live in a small town, which helps. We got our stock a few months after the were already in the cities, so I don't usually have to worry about the figures I want being too rare to find, (since those that wanted them already found them). If you're in a city area, try hitting up a store on the outskirts (maybe 20 miles outside the limits). Chances are they'll still have them hanging and collecting dust awaiting someone to buy them and give them some sweet sweet plastic love.

Overall, most of the Deluxes are pretty sweet. Depends on where you're living and what you'd be paying for them normally though. Good luck in finding them!

12. clubninja

clubninja Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Details, details! Prowl, Galvatron, Acid Storm, and Sunstreaker are the figures I have access to. Acid Storm and Sunstreaker are the two I'd have the most interest in.

13. Makxsh1mum

Makxsh1mum Well-Known Member

Hmm. Well, since you mention acid storm. he's available on BBTS for clearance price of $7.99 only. Shipping is another $7ish, but if you can find the other ones you're looking for, it might work out for you. I actually have to thank you, since you reminded me, i went and looked him up and decided to pick one up for myself =). Good luck dude.

forgot to mention that i make it worth my while by just storing up stuff in POL, but if you don't have the patience for that, then ya, goin through bbts ain't worth it.

14. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hmmm. . .since the mold seems to be taking hits from overuse, the chances of a complete rainmaker set seems slim. Maybe I should grab a third acid storm to complete my trio.

15. Xeron

Xeron Well-Known Member