Really weird question

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by Latias Prime, May 21, 2010.

1. Latias Prime

Latias Prime I'm only slightly crazy!

Okay, this question has never been addressed before, so I'll ask it.

First, a confession. I am a female gamer. Although my interests are only Nintendo games, and even then I mostly play the games that are rated either Everyone or Teen, I play games all the time, whenever I have a spare moment. I don't consider myself a truly serious gamer, but I am pretty dedicated. And hell, I have a level 100 shiny Deoxys in my Pokemon Diamond game, so that counts as something.

I really don't like shooters, as I believe they promote senseless violence, but War for Cybertron is different. I really can't wait to get it for my PC and start blasting people online.

Which brings me to my question: Do you want to be able to choose your gender when creating characters for online play? One of the things I hated about the ROTF game for DS was that I was running around as a guy-bot when my name was female. I sort of got around that problem by pretending I was a female Autobot disguised as a male, but it was still weird.

I know that many of you TF fan-girls might not play many shooters, but if you do and are planning to get WFC, then please speak up if you want to have this option of gender-choosing! Power to the ladies!

2. VaderPrime1

VaderPrime1 Prepare for termination!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    I don't know if the gender thing can work, because we've only seen two fembots so far (Arcee and Slipstream) so the ratio would be really off. And we havent even goteen confirmation that we can play as them yet, which would be a major bummer if we couldn't. I'm not a female gamer, but I still really want to play as a fembot. I think it would be awesome!!!

I hope you like the game regardless! Nice to hear more females getting involved with gaming.

3. deltaprime

deltaprime The Christian Transfan

It would be an interesting concept, but the only way I see it working is possibly as a generic fembot probably based off of Arcee's design or something.

4. thewyseone

thewyseone G.I.Juggernaut

Ebay:
    hey,whatever,sounds good to me.it does make sense,but then comes in the other groups that want to be depicted.could make things very interesting.i liked the first game a bit but seemed like it was too repetetive.never picked up the second one or gijoe yet.war for cybertron does look promising.

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

Since you only play DS stuff it won't matter. Hopefully they have something female, but if not, just, y'know, say that Grimlock is a chick. A somethin.

6. Overhaulimus

Overhaulimus Sword of Fury!

News Credits:
    You didn't read what she said did you?She said she will be playing WFC on PC not the DS.

OP,I doubt they will put in the option to select gender.

7. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You're the odd gal out usually when it comes to games. The target audience for this this game are fans of Transformers and TPS junkies, who are both predominantly male. Thus there will be a predominantly male cast.

I think you have your bases covered here for at least two body types. We know Arcee and Slipstream have body types in multiplayer, so you've got a bit of wiggle room with two different classes.

Preferably I would like to choose gender, but many times it's not feasible or worth developer effort because of the demographic breakdown in game audiences. Though something like Pokemon which appeals to both genders make sense since you play as your own avatar. Good luck though playing online. PC gamers are usually more tolerable to females unlike the morons who run around on consoles. Well, if you're using a mic that is.

8. spiritprime

spiritprime Dudes, I'm a girl!

News Credits:
    Yes, it would be nice for us ladies to at least have a gender-option. It would be really silly for us to be disguised as... well... mechs. :D 

9. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Really, how so? They aren’t just robots; they are sentient beings; alien life forms capable of great and wondrous things. More importantly, they’ve been fighting a civil war longer than we’ve existed as a species. They’ve killed, been killed and were sold as merchandise, not unlike people of our own world.
    :lol  Neither can I, but more than that, I like the idea of playing a story mode with other gamers in realtime.

I hope so. If McDonalds’ can finally have Happy meals for both males and females, it’s high time the gaming world came around to acknowledge a group of customers that do in fact exist.

Sadly, I think we won’t see many female characters or chassis types for several these two reasons: 1) Transformers is still primarily a boys toy; 2) the Transformers, regardless of their incarnation, are predominately male characters. Hopefully, War For Cybertron will address the issue the cartoon did not: what happened to the female Cybertronians. We know they exist, but why don’t they play a bigger role in what will ultimately determine the fate of their world?

Personally, I would like to see female body types that don’t fit the stereotype we’ve seen in the past and see still. I want to see female characters that are like Strika or bigger even. I’m so happy a character like her came along to finally break the mold we’ve come to know. Females can be big and strong too. Putting one in command would be a nice touch, too…or would that be asking too much?

10. Midnight

Midnight Nerdicon

That's cool, nothing wrong with that..

Now you've made me lose interest in the rest of you'r rant.

:thumbdown 

11. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    I'm not really a giant robot but I manage with playing one in a videogame.

12. Nemesis*Prime

Nemesis*Prime Decepticon Renegade

News Credits:
    It's a reasonable enough request to be able to customize your character in a game, unfortunately unless the game in question has a very broad appeal (MMO and RPG games for example), that level of customization isn't too plausible in simple straight forward 'run and gun' games like WFC. I think in this case you're going to simply have to hope that Arcee and Slipstream's chassis' are going to be usable in MP.

13. Sorrow Six Star

Sorrow Six Star Close Countach

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just play as bumblebee he has light up make up. Lol

You may just have to play as a male character. Which isn't bad. Gender doesn't keep me from playing soul caliber as ivy or Amy or that other one I like so much... Crap I am getting old I forgot her name.

Hopefully the female boys they showed us will be usable. But if not i'm sure you can have fun anyway!

14. Metal Maverick

Metal Maverick Well-Known Member

I'm sure it has more to do with the fact that they have to change into vehicles and not so much the type of game it is. I'm sure a transformers MMO (if that would ever get made) would suffer from similar hurdles. If this was just a bunch of robots without the ability to transform than I'm sure we'd see more Armored Core type customization.

15. soull

soull Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It would be great if it was like Resident Evil and each gender had its own story line....

Sigh, wishful thinking.

16. chugway

chugway ming mong ping pong

i've played a lot of MMOs and whatnot in the past, and my plethora of characters have been evenly split between male and female. never had any issue being an online girl and an IRL bloke tbh. That said, RP-wise i don't even bother. characters are usually just something i threw together in the hope that i don't become sick of staring at it for hours at a time.

17. Sorrow Six Star

Sorrow Six Star Close Countach

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's not unlike that with having two stories for each side of the story. When resident evil tells a story from the zombie side I want to play that.

Tracks was recolored as road rage who is a fembot

Of course tracks was very slender and feminine anyway.

I say make you a girly colored sideswipe or a blue bumblebee and have fun till the fembots become available. (I bet they are unlockables)

18. Autobot-Girl

Autobot-Girl is possibly insane

Power to the femmes! :rock