Really underwhelmed

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by MrNiceGuy, Mar 11, 2017.

1. CKPRIME

CKPRIME Lighter of Darkest Hours

The P-38 wasn't a modern pistol even in 1984, that's my whole point. If you don't already know what he transforms into it's not exactly going to jump out at you like Optimus.

2. plastic therapy

plastic therapy Well-Known Member

The Walther P-38 is one of the most recognizable pistols ever made. Regardless of its manufacture date. Even if a person isn't aware of what manufacturer it is from, everyone in 1984 has seen imagry of WW2 and knows exactly what that pistol looks like. It is why they modeled Megs after it, to associate him with opressive tyranny.

I think that what's happening here is the inability to accept that your argument is being tailored, outside the confines of reality to not admit you may just have a perspective outside of the norm.

It's ok if you don't see it, but I think you're not being realistic.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  3. CKPRIME

By gun people maybe, I don't think you can make that claim about the general public.

Your own picture proves how vague the gun features look unless you post a picture of what it's supposed to be right next to Megatron.

4. plastic therapy

plastic therapy Well-Known Member

It's painstakingly apparent that reason is not going to help this conversation. Therefore, I leave you to your misconceptions.

Good day

For everyone else there is this poll Hypothetical question- if G1 toon Megs was never seen yet in alt mode...

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  5. Jazz210

Jazz210 Est.2011

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For others the same can be said about G1. I dont know why ppl get butthurt when new incarnations dont look like the g1 generic box look. Its Transformers...they transform the character over the years. So ur going to tell me u wouldn't get bored buying the same stale g1 figure repeatedly for the past 30 years if it was that way?

• Like Like x 3
  6. Wolfguard

Wolfguard Your own personal Jesus.

The original counter from CK has merit, though. In the G1 toon, Megatron's robot form on Earth (and pretty much all the TFs from the Ark and Nemesis) looks exactly like he did on Cybertron. Can you tell what his Cybertronian alt mode looks like?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Livingdeaddan

Livingdeaddan Well-Hated Member

News Credits:
    and Transformer people! ;) 

• Like Like x 2
  8. CKPRIME

I guess so.

9. Livingdeaddan

Livingdeaddan Well-Hated Member

News Credits:
    old ones!

10. CKPRIME

Unfortunately...

• Like Like x 1
  11. vatarian

vatarian massive clod

Transformers has always been cheese and camp. Megatron looks the most like Megatron he's looked since the inception of the movieverse. Optimus looks kinda abstract, I guess, but very recognizably still Optimus. The human characters are exactly as dumb as human characters tend to be in Transformers stories.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

The only thing I'm tired of or "not feeling" is people brandishing every shortcoming like it's something new and uniquely horrible when it's actually looking to be the most "traditionally" tranformery bayformers movie yet.

• Like Like x 4
  12. JazzIsBack

JazzIsBack Well-Known Member

Its actually the one I've been most excited for yet. Earth is slowly becoming a post apocalyptic setting with Megateon is crew taking on a similar vibe to go with it. And Dragonstorm? Pretty epic name if you ask me, if you don't agree just remember we got characters named Hook, Jolt, Gears, Tracks etc. Not exactly most creative, and yes this is me speaking as some one who has been aroud since G1.

As for G1 if you really think this movie is to "out there" just remember in G1 we had episodes involving singing aliens, aliens so large transformers are toy sized by comparison, and a human hunter who somehow single handedly captured severs autobots just to lure out Optimus. By comparison the movies aren't anymore ridiculous.

• Like Like x 2
  13. MrNiceGuy

MrNiceGuy Active Member

Please, elaborate.

Cherry pick? How can I be cherry picking? It hasn't even come out yet. I'm going off what I've read and seen. And it looks pretty lazy and half-assed.

because its cliched as hell, like everything else about this premise. "rethink your heroes" Jesus Christ.
    "Blenderbots and Mountain Dew bots?"
    you mean allspark mutations?

14. Galvatross

Galvatross Keep calm and hail Jaegertron! Veteran

Yes, I think Bay and company have a better grasp of the brand than a large percentage of the fandom for a plethora of reasons.

One, all Transformers fiction is made to sell toys and make money in some way or another. That is its purpose. Bay and company make a lot of money for the brand and certainly much more than the online fandom contributes to the brand. They cater to the general public and rightfully so; not the hardcore people on the internet.

Two, the fandom takes this brand way too seriously. Bay takes it seriously enough to make movies out of it, but not so seriously. The production relaize it's based on toys and comics and cartoons. Consequently, they realize there needs to be over-the-top stuff in it, whether it's over-the-top characters or over the top action sequences. Transformers needs to be COOL, FUN, and AWESOME moreso than realistic or deep, even though I think most of the movies and some of the characters are more meaningful than their detractors and even many of their fans give credit.

Furthermore, Bay and company respect the brand enough that they still take a lot, and I do mean a lot, of characters and concepts and story ideas from other parts of the brand, especially G1, but they don't treat it as a sacred cow. They realize it is not, so they make films similar enough to previous incarnations that they acknowledge what came before, but they're different enough that they aren't shot for shot remakes of the cartoons or comics.

If you want to make the worst Transformers movie, make the imaginary film a lot of Transfans want. Make the film that caters to the inner visions of fans on this website. 95% of the fan ideas I see are worse in theory, let alone practice, than anything Bay has put out. There are occasionally good fan ideas I see, but they are the vast, vast minority.

Yeah, there are undoubtedly reasonably sized parts of this fandom who dislike the films, but I can tell you right now that there are lots, and I mean lots, of members of the general public who love these movies and look forward to them when they come out. The last two films made over a billion dollars in box office, and that is nothing to scoff at.

Also, one of the movies that fans hate and "ruins" Transformers could be 1984 for other fans.

I am not convinced you fully read what I was saying.

You think Sqweeks and Izabella look stupid, but you're perfectly okay with every other ridiculous thing in Transformers. You're perfectly okay with the Allspark mutations and Wheelie, but Sqweeks is too stupid for you. That is EXACTLY what I am talking about when I mention fans cherry picking what is stupid and not stupid. The Dynasty of Primes is fine, but apparently bringing Knights in the fold is stupid? Cherry picking. The many fans who complained about Transformium but had no problem when the Allspark shrunk to the size of a box (Especially when the former actually solves a lot of problems about Cybertronians' abilities to scan and change into new alt modes)? Cherry picking.

Having a preference is perfectly fine. It's okay to not like things or think some things in Transformers are better than others. For instance, I prefer Season 3 of Sunbow to the other seasons, but I don't act as if the third season lacks the camp and silliness of the other seasons because it still does have those things.

If you prefer the silly things in previous films there is nothing wrong with that, but that doesn't mean the silly things in the new film will be "stupid" just because you like the earlier cheesy stuff more.

Excuse me, but how did you become a fan of Transformers again?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  15. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I'm so underwhelmed by the trailer I haven't even bothered to watch the trailer.

LOL

16. BattleUpSaber

BattleUpSaber Result.

News Credits:
    Well, then pardon me for having different expectations for the design for the live-action movie from 2017 as opposed to the cartoon from 1984. Given how Megs has had a fairly distinct look in ROTF and DOTM, I see no reason why they couldn't have done something else here.

Honestly I'm not sure why this design doesn't appeal to me. Maybe i need some time to get used to it or I'll warm up to it after seeing the movie. But right now it just doesn't work for me, and i was actually one of those in favour of simpler, smoother designs. Like, the first time i saw a pic of this design, i literally thought someone had photoshopped a piece of random AOE Knight concept artwork and added a Megatron head and cannon, and I didn't even realise it was offical for a while. It strikes me as a design I'd see for either a background filler or in a flashback for a half-second. Again, I don't really know why this one doesn't appeal to me considering Optimus' AOE knight redesign was pretty similar and i warmed up to that one very quickly.

I will say that I've never been fond of the 1st movie or Prime designs for Megatron either, and that this design does have cool weapons and a sweet jet mode, so it has that going for it at least.

I may not like it, but don't let me stop the rest of you from likng it. :) 

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  17. MrNiceGuy

MrNiceGuy Active Member

And I guess you missed the part where I said I felt some excitement for the previous 4 movies. But in any case, this amount of defensiveness over Bay's movies. Really? The guy has a huge ego and he has demonstrated contempt for the source material on a number of occassions. He honestly thinks he's improved the franchise with his "sleek" and "sexy" vision. Talk about shallow.

Perfectly okay with every other ridiculous thing? Who said that? I never said that. You're putting words in my mouth. Wheelie actually looked like a proper transformer within the movie universe's set aesthetic, yes. Dynasty of Primes? Again, you missed the part where I wasn't just complaining about stupidity, but laziness. It's like they're repeating the same damn plot, selling it in a new package with a shiny bow. It reeks of being a hack. Or they've just forgotten their previously established storyline, which is even more pathetic.

With the first movie. The tie-in books and comics especially helped build my interest in Transformers leading up to it. The ominous and mysterious tone that the first trailer had. It sucked me in. I looked up all the info surrounding which bots were in the movie. Ended up reading all about the previous incarnations of the franchise. Rest is history.

Each movie had fantastic trailers. This new one made me cringe, with the narration and the music. Felt pretentious and silly.

18. Galvatross

Galvatross Keep calm and hail Jaegertron! Veteran

How in the world has Bay demonstrated contempt for the source material? The movies are so heavily derived from G1 it's insane, and the films have major nods to other parts of the brand here and there, like Megatron manipulating humans as a disembodied head and Lockdown and Drift.

I'm sure he has plenty of preferences within the brand, but so do I, and so does every other fan here. Is my personal dislike or indifference of G1 Wheelie, Blurr, G1 Wreck-Garr, Arcee, the Unicron Trilogy, Prime, and NuRID "contempt" for the brand? Where is this imaginary director who holds a brand made to sell toys with as much reverence as the fans on the internet?

I have been a huge Transformers fan for a while, but what in the world is a proper Transformer? Transformers seriously can be very diverse in appearance. I think any Transformer is a proper Transformer.

But how are the Knights lazy? What about them makes it lazy? Or are they simply lazy because you don't like the idea? I think we should at least see how the movie treats the idea.

The plot of the new movie sounds like a continuation and escalation of threads started in the last film, which is what the fifth movie should be. The last film hinted at the Creators, showed the secret survival and scheming of Megatron, introduced Cade, Drift, Hound, Crosshairs, and the Dinobots, hinted at the Knights, and had humans hunting a small amount of Transformers on Earth. Now in this film Transformers and humans are in an all out war, we will actually learn more about the Quintessons and Cybertronian origins, and we will see more of a revived Megatron and new characters from the last film. Why should the fifth film not follow things started in the previous film?

For someone got into the brand through the films you sure seem to not think very much of Bay.

In my opinion the teaser for The Last Knight is undoubtedly the best of all of the movies so far. I like that it teased more than 2007's and DOTM's trailers, and it wasn't just mindless action. Most of the scenes were haunting. The graphics in this film really look exceptional.

• Like Like x 1
  19. MrNiceGuy

MrNiceGuy Active Member

You can't be serious. You honestly think that isn't just a coincidence? And the writers are the ones that added characters like Lockdown.
    I don't know about your "contempt" because i don't know a thing about you. But I've seen enough of Michael Bay. I have the DVD's for chrissake. I've watched the interviews, the commentaries.
    Are you being willfully dense? Proper as in the set style and aesthetic of the movie universe. You know what I'm talking about. Stop playing dumb. This is kid pandering for a lazy Wall-E type rip-off.
    How are they not? It's literally a retread of the plot of ROTF, minus the Fallen and star harvestars.
    Of course they should follow what was set up. But I REALLY doubt that'll be the case.
    Yeah, funny. I do respect the guy. He's like a little boy at heart, just smashing his Transformers toys together in mindless fight scenes. I thought the first movie was pretty good, but could have been better. It all went downhill from there.
    Welp, there you have it. You bought into their crap. You took the bait, hook line and sinker. I don't think we can agree on this if you actually though that silly stuff was "haunting". Talk about drinking the kool-aid.
    I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

• Like Like x 1
  20. CKPRIME

Wait, you think direct references and imagery in the movies to G1, like Megatron sitting in Abraham Lincoln's chair are simply a coincidence?? That's not a stretch, that's a canyon.

• Like Like x 4