Really underwhelmed

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by MrNiceGuy, Mar 11, 2017.

1. MrNiceGuy

MrNiceGuy Well-Known Member

Is anyone else really underwhelmed this time out?

Every movie I had something to feel excited for but this one...? Nothing really doing it for me. And a lot of it just sounds and looks really stupid. Homeless kid sidekick. "Sqweeks" is really embarrassing as "Wall-E" type cute robot. Doesn't even look like a transformer, it looks like a home-made robot. Megatron and Optimus also don't resemble Transformers in the slightest, their designs just look like generic alien robots, especially Megatron. Barricade back for no reason, why? Fan nostalgia? Because they changed his design completely so I don't see the point. I bet he won't even do anything before "dying" again.
    The trailer made me cringe, with the pretentious epic narration. What is all this "last Knight" stuff? Wasn't ROTF all about him being the "last Prime"? And who are they trying to kid with "Evil Prime"? "Dragonstorm" Wow, how long did it take them to come up with that name?

Sorry for my rant. It just feels so lazy and I really do want to like it.

• Like Like x 6
  2. CKPRIME

CKPRIME Banned

News Credits:
    No.

• Like Like x 15
  3. Galvatross

Galvatross Dom Dom, Yes Yes Veteran

No offense, but how in the world did you become a fan of Transformers to begin with? When has Transformers not been dumb from a real world perspective?

Also, the Knights and Dynasty of Primes are not the same thing, although one can be both given Optimus is a member of both orders/dynasties/whatever. We;; learn more about them in this next movie, so in the mean time keep an open mind.

• Like Like x 12
  4. MrNiceGuy

I became a fan at a damn good time, I guess.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    And people wonder why I share this viewpoint...

6. fallen_revenge

fallen_revenge Movie News Addict

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Yeah, I think you're the only one. This movie looks to be the best from my perspective and I'm not just saying that cause I'm a fanboy.

• Like Like x 7
  7. electronic456

electronic456 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To be fair neither did the first movie Megatron.

• Like Like x 2
  8. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    No he isn't.

9. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes. Because I know it's going to be the same bullshit.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Galvatross

Galvatross Dom Dom, Yes Yes Veteran

And what damn good time was that? Because I became a fan during Beast Wars, and that was awesome, although from earlier I do remember ads for G2/G1 reruns. It was a great cartoon, but it was still a goofy adventure with all sorts of nonsensical happenings from a real world perspective.

Transformers, even in the case of more serious narratives, is over-the-top cheese and camp, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Sure, the tone may change, and the war may be more violent in the movies and some comics than the cartoons, but there always is and will be a level of fantasy and disbelief in fiction about giant, talking robots from Cybertron. From a real world perspective it's all "stupid."

The problem with threads like these is that, for the millionth time, fans are cherry-picking what they think is stupid and what isn't in this toy-based franchise. Preferences? I have them. We all have them. Opinions as to which film or show or comic is best? That's fine. I myself think some of the films are better than the others. However, to act as if people's preferred Transformers films or shows are these genius, narrative masterpieces and the ones they don't like are these insults to human intelligence that ruin the brand forever is to be completely out of touch with the brand and its history, which I do love so very much in all of its campy glory.

• Like Like x 5
  11. HoneyPrime

HoneyPrime ♥♥ Smokescreen ♥♥

No.

• Like Like x 1
  12. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    Truest words right here. Transformers has always been cheesy in all its video media. I can't say the same for comics as I haven't looked into those as much. The only iteration I found to be the most serious was Prime and even it had its share of cheesy moments mostly due to human behavior.

But you go back to G1 and it just give you a massive headache how terrible it is. I think the 1980s movie is iconic to the brand and I really like it but damn, judging it as a movie, it's one of the most horrible animated films I've ever seen. Especially one coming off a tv show!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    True, but that was because that Megatron incarnation was still in a cybertronian form. Here Megatron's robot mode is clearly designed off of humans (which it fucking shouldn't given, y'know, he hates humans) and he still doesn't look like he turns into anything.

I mean, ROTF One-arm Potato Tron was a crap robot but you could tell he turned into a tank because of the tread legs. Ironically he turned into a jet THAT time too and the only clue was the jet engines on the back.

14. plastic therapy

plastic therapy Banned

Underwhelmed is an underwhelming understatement of undeniably underrated unanimous unification among the unprecidented unabashed. Unarguably.

• Like Like x 6
  15. electronic456

electronic456 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Humans? I mean Galvatron was but Megatron? I mean to be fair all those robots were brought to life by ILM, a human visual effects company. :p 

16. MrNiceGuy

This whole post is cheesier than most Transformers stories. Transformers is at its heart, a story of war. There's nothing cheesy about that. The marvel and especially the marvel UK stories could be dark as shit at times and that was from the very beginning.

I'm not actually trying to argue or start a fight, I'm just surprised how little I care about this movie. People have shit on (Bay) Transformers heavily since the second movie but that didn't stop me from seeing them. There was always something to draw me in.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Jazz210

Jazz210 Est.2011

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    IMG1301542558.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  18. Jdg1981

Jdg1981 Member

Because he is, the girl made him

19. ChaosDonkey

ChaosDonkey Lord Brain

Transformers at its heart is a company selling merchandise. Through several decades of bad story telling

20. BattleUpSaber

BattleUpSaber Result.

News Credits:
    This part i absolutely agree with; I've got no idea why everyone is in love with the new Megatron design.

• Like Like x 1