Really? Thats why a game sucks? *small rant*

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by DaggersRage, Sep 24, 2008.

1. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

One of my peers in school agrovated me a wee bit earlier today. We where watching another student play Crysis: Warhead on his laptop, ran it pretty good too by the way.

The one student asked if you can set tanks on fire by punching them. Of course you cant, even with strength mode on! He then continues saying that the game sucks because of that. Really now... That's quite a specific feature to rate an entire game.

I'm guessing that he was trying to be funny, but he's not the only one that I hear judges stuff like this on really obsurd things. I find that annoying and fusturating that I'll try to explain why a game is worth checking out, but they wont hear any of it.

Yeesh.

2. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    People are stupid.

3. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

That's a dumb reason to hate a game. You should ask if him if his favorite video game is Eco the Dolphin.

4. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    maybe he was making a doom 1 reference?

but yeah, that still sounds kind of specific to rate teh game on

5. Enigma2K2

Enigma2K2 Robot In Disguise TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    ... as opposed to people who dismiss games for their lack of Achievements/Trophy support?

Not saying you're wrong, just wanted to add to the rant...

6. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

People have their differences of opinion, and everyone has one. I liken it to G1 Pipes' motto: "One's junk is another's art" (or something to that effect, going off memory here). I, for example, love Star Wars: Force Unleashed. I think it absolutely rocks, one of the best games I've ever played without a multiplayer mode. That's my opinion. Though, there are those out there that think it's utter garbage. I'm sure to them, in certain ways, it is. I don't care if it's canon or not, glitchy or not--whatever. I love it.

People look at things differently, and unless he was trying to show you up personally (which I doubt as you described) just let it slide. It was his opinion. Let him be his Beast Wars r0xxorz-G1 suXXorz!111! and you be you. I guess that's the best way I can put it. :p 

7. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Crysis Warhead is the shit, but those damn tanks are a bitch to sneak up on. How ANYBODY could manage to deal enough damage to it to blow it up with just the super-fisticuffs is beyond me. Cloak, sprint, attach one or two charges, sprint, click the remote detonator.

...or get blown up from 500 yards away as you try to investigate an island bar not realizing those damn KPA have a TANK hiding in the bushes.
    DN

8. CrypticIllusionist

CrypticIllusionist Well-Known Member

QFT

It mainly bothers me when people base how good a game is on graphics.
    A game could have amazing graphics and still suck (Baten Kaitos for GCN looked incredible for the time and I hated the game with a passion).
    As far as I'm concerned, gameplay should be above all else when judging a game. A game that's not fun to play is not a good game, no matter how good it looks.

9. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    Well, look at it this way. At least now you know whose opinions to ignore.

10. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Ecco the Dolphin was fucking awesome, you shut your mouth! :mad 

11. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have a friend that does the same shit. He was over playing GT and I was telling him it has hundreds of cars to choose from. Well he was looking for a particular car and when he could not find it the game was shit. If he had played it and had a decent arguement about the game I would have listened. Like the cars to not take damage no matter what you do. So tell your non-gamer that his opinions are not worth your time move on.

12. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow, you took my brain's thoughts and splattered them all over the boards. I hate when a game is considered inferior because it doesn't have achievements/trophies. I mean yes, I'd "rather" have them, but the self-contained package that is the game can work/ or not work, with or without them.

Another one is when a game like Black scores lower because it has no multiplayer component (or like Ratchet and Clank on PS3). It's like, "Dude, not all games have to sport 16 player deathmatch. Not all games are Halo, not all games are Killzone, there was a time when you could play a good single-player story game, and some developers still like to create for that crowd"

13. DaggersRage

Havent heard the one about the achievement/trophey excuse yet. I really think that guy has more of an attitude towards FPS' and most other mainstream games. Ya know, the game sucks because everybody plays it or it's popular excuse.

14. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He must love Halo.

15. Enigma2K2

Ebay:
    You don't hang out in the Gamer Zone on N4G.com. And just because a game's popular doesn't make it good.

So basically you base your game purchases on the "bandwagon" mentality... wether it' worth playing or not, is that what you're saying?

Oooooh... he has an X Box Gamertag... no wonder he took offense....

Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
  16. McBradders

I think reading comprehension in this thread is slipping...

17. Enigma2K2

Ebay:
    Criticism... from YOU, Mr. West?

BTW, your sig pic looks cross-eyed...

Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
  18. DaggersRage

Hey hey. It's all cool, I think I know where's he (Enigma2K2, there, ya happy?) coming from.

What I mean to gripe about in my 1st post is that I've met people that hold judgements on games (this case Crysis) over a very specific thing that even might not be included in the game at all, then they dont proceed to hear anything about the game. Like.... Shadow of the Colossus sucks because your sword doesnt light up on fire or let you have magic powers.

I dont mean to say that popular games are awsome. I'm just saying that the guy I talked is probably under the assumption that if a game is popular, it must suck. That's not true, and neither is a game that is popular having to be any good.

And back off of my XBL gamer tag, I thnk it r awsum. :D 

19. Enigma2K2

Ebay:
    No name specified... mentioning the achievement points/trophies comment I made... and you wonder why I thought you were responding to me?

Is this what you were referring to, Mr. West?

20. McBradders

Shit, now I'm really confused.