really OT, but ... did anyone go to Target on Black Friday?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by e3nine, Dec 6, 2007.

1. e3nine

e3nine I have a large MISB collection.

News Credits:
    Did you grab that Olevia 37" for $549?

I froze my can off in 15 degree weather for the HDTV on Black Friday. At $549, it was a great deal.

When I set it up, I noticed it had an extra, undisclosed HDMI port bringing the total to 2. The Olevia website made no mention of this. Sweet.

I powered up my PS3 for the first time in months yesterday and had to reconfigure the settings. The PS3 picked up a 1080p enabled monitor.

PS3 auto detect
    [​IMG]

and it sticks
    [​IMG]

360 setup
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The TV fully recognizes the output. If it didn't, the screen should go black. That's what happened on my old set when I tried 1080p.

The TV's carton, Olevia website, and Target.com made no mention of this. For the past 2 weeks, I was under the assumption this was a 720p set. Is this thing really a 1080p?!

2. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    I don't know nor really care but that's hot.

3. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Odd for sure, but it looks to be the case. There is no reason the tv would have that display setting if it wasn't capable. And as you said, the source would be outputting at 1080p and if the monitor wasn't able to display the resolution, the screen would be black or fuzzy. Forgive my ignorance, but does Olevia even make a 1080p display?

4. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Maybe it isn't really displaying 1080p and is natively downgrading the signal to 1080i or even lower?

A lot of HDTVs will do that. They SUPPORT a certain resolution, but they can't actually DISPLAY said resolution.

Unless it implicitly states on the box that it can display at 1080p resolution, I'm betting it's faking it.

EDIT: From what I've read of that model, it physically displays at/up to 720p, no way it's displaying at 1080p. Remember, what it can support =/= what it can display.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2007
  5. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

I have a 32' Olevia, and it can pick up 1080p from my PS3 as well. I kinda wondered about it as well.

6. Dark Magnus

Dark Magnus Your opinion is wrong!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Man I so wanted one of those but didn't have the scratch. We pre-loaded the TVs into shopping carts to make it easier for guests, all 27 were gone within 15 minutes of the store opening, or so I was told.