Really let down today

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by BatBot, Dec 16, 2006.

1. BatBot

BatBot Well-Known Member

Today I found the classics Optimus/Megatron 2-pack at TRU and boy what a disappointment that was. I hadn't read much about it but really liked the looks of Optimus in bot mode only to discover an oddly shaped truck vehicle mode and he was way undersized. I couldn't make myself pick it up. Anyone else REALLY disappointed in ths pack?

-Matt

2. Hotspot17

Hotspot17 Search and Rescue: Vet

News Credits:
    I personally don't want it. There are still a lot of folks that like it.

3. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I want it but I cant find it :( 

4. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It's lacking. ....but they churn out so many versions of Prime every year that it takes the sting out.

5. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    I think they looked really disappointing which is why I never picked them up.

6. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Tommy gun ftw.

I actually am quite impressed with the set. *Dodges flames*

7. Optimus Kharnal

Optimus Kharnal Well-Known Member

They're plenty in Austin, i'm not impressed at all i've passed it up quite a few times.. even when I'm dying to just buy something :)  (we all know that pull)

8. Cobalt Agent

Cobalt Agent My dick kills dinosaurs

I wish it was G1 Prime sized, but I still got it. At least it's not that crappy voyager Prime.

9. BatBot

BatBot Well-Known Member

Is voyager prime the $20 dollar "Classics" Prime that's out now?

-Matt

10. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So I'm not the only one that thinks Classics Voyager Prime isn't that great? Cool.

11. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

Yes Voyager class Prime is the $20 Prime out now. He comes solo in package, the one in the 2-pack is a deluxe class size. And personaly, while the 2-pack Prime's robot mode is very G1, he's truck mode is major blow-out, even worse than THS-02's or Robotmaster Prime's truck mode.

12. BatBot

BatBot Well-Known Member

I thought that is what it was. My biggest dislike of the Voyager Prime is the pieces on his arms. I really can't get over those. I would have been all over the 2-pack one if it were a little bigger(I could live with fugly truck mode for great robot mode). At least it's not as big a departure from the original as the first Beast Machines Optimus :lol 

13. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

News Credits:
    The g2 megs rocked my world but the Prime figure was bogus. hasbro totally dropped the ball on that one

14. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yup, my only compaints regarding Classics Prime are the arm pieces...I keep telling myself that they're er, shields...

15. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I dont currently have the big Prime or the small one so I cant say for sure, but I think they both look good. That might change when I have them in hand but I doubt it, I'm not really that picky.

16. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I just want Megs, to be honest. We've got enough Prime at home as it is. Both Prime and Megs seem to have very large eyes, which bugs me a bit.
    Does anyone have a close up picture of Megatron's face?

17. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Other than Prime's vehicle mode, Megatron's wonky right arm and the nonsensical DVD, I'm actually pleased with the Ultimate Battle Pack. The toys look great in robot mode, which is how I display figures, so I'm happy.

18. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I generally like both bot modes and Meg's alt mode, but Prime's alt mode just doesn't flow for me. Plus, IMO, these figs could have been helped out a lot if they just looked a little less on the el cheapo side. I've passed this set up many a time (my local TRU has buttloads of them).

19. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

I have both of these Primes. Voyager Prime is alright with some paint removal and touch ups... though I admit, I still don't like the arm-shields. I can't accept that that kibble couldn't have gone elsewhere. I would have liked it if he were about an inch taller too, but that's about it. Otherwise a nice figure.

2-Pack Classics Optimus... that's another story. I picked up the 2-pack at TRU's 30% off sale, with low expectations already... so in the end, I don't mind it so much. But he does need a little work.

For one thing, his upper torso is completely free-spinning, for the sake of a lame "spinning punch" gimmick that wasn't great when it was used for the MOTU figure Sy-Clone 20 years ago, and it's not so great now either. HOWEVER, this has proven to be one of the easiest fixes ever. All you need is a small screwdriver, the rubber finger-grip from a mechanical pencil, and a pair of scissors. Takes about 2 minutes and you can have a mini-Optimus with a poseable upper torso. I'm planning on taking some pics and posting easy instructions if anyone's interested. It doesn't involve damaging the toy at all.

Secondly, there's something "off" about the sculpt of his face. This was easy enough to remedy. I used a knife to cut the bridge of his nose off. Then I painted the interior of the light piping black, and painted smaller yellow eyes on the eye parts, and re-inserted the light piping rig into his head. It makes a world of difference.

Also, it turns out that the traditional Ops gun from my 6-inch KO RM Prime is a perfect fit for his hand... so that leaves me with a wickedly poseable mini-Optimus figure with nice overall G1 cartoon proportions.

A cool figure after all... that... uh... turns into a really lame truck. Ahem... haven't figured out how to fix that yet. Still, he's pretty fun to play with in robot mode. :) 

As for the 2-Pack Megatron... well, I flipped his backwards feet, and then went one step further and flipped his whole lower legs around, which I think actually looks waaaay better (though it means cutting off his enormously long kneepads so they don't impede his knee from bending). I'm currently stuck on giving him a right hand and elbow (the missing elbow is the big kicker... grrrrr). It'll take some work, but for some reason, I like this figure enough that I'm willing to make a project of him. Weird. I think it's the head, which I consider to be one of the best head-sculpts for Megatron that I've seen.

So in conclusion, the 2-pack is not so bad, as long as you view it as a "fixer-upper"... and if you can get it on sale like I did. Expect pictures when I'm done, and wish me luck in the meantime. :) 

zmog

20. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You can also fix that problem by pulling on the tab that's used to trigger the gimmick. Pull the tab back just a little and it will lock the torso into place, preventing it from spinning freely.