Really Harsh TF ROTF Review

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Jazzmatic Prime, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Jazzmatic Prime

Jazzmatic Prime Background Bot

2. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's just it. What I think is that I will continue to think for myself and not let Mr. Bob influence my thoughts on a flawed, but explosive summer movie.

3. Jazzmatic Prime

Jazzmatic Prime Background Bot

Yeah...but i do agree with some things.

4. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not rippin' on your find, Jazz. It's just that there is a cult out there that thrives on hating on Michael Bay, and some of the stuff they spout is simply to impress their peers with an indication that their taste is too high-profiled to appreciate something as lowly as a Bay Movie, when by the very nature of reviewing it, they are putting themselves down.

Imagine if Ebert reviewed Dora episodes. It would be like, "Why are you even considering those in the same avenue as your Black Swans and Pianists."

The points he makes are valid, except that I don't agree with them. Because I have my time for film, and I have my time for pizza and ka-boom. And I don't mix them.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  5. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I catch Movie Bob just about every week over at the Escapist and it's kind of a funny one because it takes a lot for Bob to go off like that.

6. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Well Yathzee tore the TF game wich so loved in this site a new one too. Meh, it´s nerdrage.

7. Ratchets Hatch

Ratchets Hatch Explosions?

News Credits:
    He makes some valid points, but I don't know why he blames everything on Michael Bay. Many of these issues can probably be traced back to the designers, scriptwriters, and the hundreds of other people who worked on the movie, as well as the corporate machine that it was processed through.

I agree with him about the human characters, but the fact is, many people need human characters to relate to, especially people who aren't familiar with the Transformers franchise. Michael Bay may not have been the best choice to direct the movies, and there are some things he got wrong, but I can think of directors who might have done an even worse job.

Not trying to step on any toes here; this is just my opinion.

8. General Magnus

I liked how he went nerdraging on the designs, man he took it like a personal ofense.

Hint: Bay is not point a gun at you and saying "Go watch my movie!"

9. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree. Here is the meeting:

"Ok, so we have a story, it's about 2 hours long. If we are to fill two hours with SUPER-Complex robots fighting eachother, it's going to cost (finger to the lips) One Billion Dollars."

"Great, so we wrote a story that involves more humans. This will help with the casual movie-viewer to relate, and can bring in some comedy. We are here to make money, right? The Transformer fans alone will only push this movie past 15 million in earnings, so we have to make the movie for a broader audience, or fail with our publisher."

Group chuckles.

"So as much as we'd like to fill this movie with two hours of robot fighting, sex, and music-making, we have to face the fact that we don't have the time, or money, to do this and finish the movie by 2009. Add to this the fact that the writers are on strike, so we're going to have to shoot blindly and hope that it all fits together somehow."

Bob can blame Bay for everything, but being in a circumstance where your ability to make a movie company money will determine your future paychecks, you can understand that the decisions made were not as simple as, "I want a movie about Humans with Robots in the background."

10. General Magnus

*points shotgun at Prowl*

"We don´t take kindly to your logic and facts around here. No go back to hatting Bay for rapping your dog."

11. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    What?

A harsh review of Revenge of the Fallen?

Unheard of.

12. sharpy39

sharpy39 Sharpius Prime

News Credits:
    This guy knows his melons!

A very nice opinion, and one that I agree with wholeheartedly.

13. sharpy39

sharpy39 Sharpius Prime

News Credits:
    Movie Bob tore into Revenge of the Fallen like a fat kid tears into a packet of doughnuts.

It was absolute carnage.

He could have at least given us a star rating? I was maybe hoping for about four stars... Movie Bob? Somehow, I don't think that's going to happen.

14. megatron66

megatron66 OD'd on candy

I'm goona go with what Prowl's Sig says; "Haters are born to bitch." That's all this guy is doing, If you didn't like the movie, why go on ranting about it? Kinda pointless if you ask me. Look, some people loved the movies, others didn't. If you didn't like it, don't be rude to those who did. Yeah, everyone has their opinion, but don't make these videos.

15. Honorbound

Honorbound The Reclusive Semi-Lurker

This man speaks the truth. It's fortunate that RotF was even half-way decent, given the factors involved. As Prowl said, they had to wing it and hope for the best. The fact that we actually got awesoe scenes like the Forest Fight, the Shanghai battle, and the Decepticon meeting on the Nemesis is nothing short of a miracle.

On another subject, I always have to roll my eyes at the nerds who whine and bitch about how Michael Bay is out to ruin Transformers, or about how he finds ways to deliberately insult them. They are just revealing their own narcissism and persecution complexes each time they post. They attribute malice to events that can adequately be explained with "shit happens."

As for the Bay Hate(TM), the best explanation I ever heard came from TVTropes (I think). When Michael Bay makes movies, he doesn't take into consideration the opinions of critics; he's just out to make fun, popcorn action movies. That tends to enrage three types of people: professional critics, amateur critics, and people who care about the opinions of critics. They feel that, by not listening to them, he is metaphorically defecating in their cereal. Combine that with the fact that most critics prefer quiet dramas (which Michael Bay's flicks are anything but), and you come to the conclusion that there is no way that the critics would willingly praise anything that he does. As far as they are concerned, he is the devil.

16. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Well-Known Member

Although he was right about the Matrix (of Leadership), Devastator and the millitary, after hearing some of his arguments,some which are not correct, I think he is an Angry G1 fan: the type that hates every thing not G1. Also he is a Bay-Hater. There are a lot of people who hate Bay for the wrong reasons. Do you hate slow-mo? Do you hate the Matrix Movie? I have seen worse cut-scenes in James Bond.
    Really there are people who just like to complain about anything popular.

17. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

As the director everything falls on your head. Yes there are a ton of people who work on modern films, but in the end it's up to the director to approve, disapprove, and give out all the orders to put all those creative types on the same page. If so much didn't fall on the director's head why give out awards for best director?

So even with an army of people working on Lord of the Rings you don't hear people say George the set design guy was great you hear about how great Peter Jackson was.

18. Orbital

Orbital Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bay directed and produced the film which practically means he had the most control over the film as an individual working on it, but reading up on the the film franchise's history, I don't think Bay has ever had his requests rejected by either Paramount or Hasbro, it seems he always got what he asked for.

Is Bay to blame? possibly, but it felt like, Hasbro, Paramount and Bay were too nervous to release a film that solely revolved around a Robot cast with little or no human leads as that goes against generic film story conventions, where your protagonist is the most relateable character in the film to the target audience. That's why the first film followed such a cliche' plot. Take away the bots and the film is like all the other hollywood action flicks. This film was quite big for what it represented at the time, so everything this franchise turned out to be was probably more to do with Paramount and Hasbro making it as sell-able to an audience than it was for bay to just make an awesome action flick.

19. einis

einis Want some candy?

News Credits:
    this

20. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Brony

News Credits:
    The only thing that killed my enjoyment of the film was the pacing and the Twins. If they only cut out a lot of the college/home scenes in the beginning, and the party scene, and the ham handed horrible "comedy" that the Twins brought, then I would've liked the film much better. Oh yeah, and the damned "travel" through the desert. There is NO reason why the writer could have just bridged the crew to the temple instead.

Don't get me wrong. I did not expect "Casablanca" or "Gone With The Wind" from ROTF, but the film had a lot of stuff that I felt could have done without. It just bogged the film down with unnecessary weight. Those scenes could have been more fights, or a better and more satisfying end fight instead of the cop out we got. Optimus gets powered up and ENDS the Fallen and bitch slaps Megatron like the two of them were no threat. You have to have ditch shallow standards if you think that is satisfying for an action movie.

I haven't seen a movie where the three big baddies of the film proved to be such an inept crew of villains that couldn't even put out an ounce of threat against Prime. What happened to the Megatron that killed Prime? I would've loved to see Prime, Megs and the Fallen tango together in a two vs. one, and watching Prime fight tooth and nail and come out on top. It would have made Megatron still threatening, and it would have portrayed the Fallen as the threat he should have been. Powering up Prime should have evened it out against the Fallen, not make Fallen a piece of cake.