Really?......can't these guys come up with new ideas?Or at least well written stories

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Tekkaman Blade, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
  2. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Marvel Blackest Zombie Night.

3. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
  4. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

Quesada's new idea:
    Xmen: Brand New Mutant

5. Mr. Sinister

Mr. Sinister Cat + Sinister = TROUBLE

Wow, Marvel is the House of FAIL lately.

But Ares coming back, written by Michael Avon Oeming no less, is A-OK by me. Because eff Siege in the Asgard.

6. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

All new, huh?

Funny, but wouldn't bringing back dead characters be "business as usual" for the X-books? We got phalanxes, zombies, vampires...House of Ideas indeed.

- Coeloptera

7. Honorbound

Honorbound The Reclusive Semi-Lurker

What has gone wrong with these guys over the years? I look at both DC and Marvel, and they've both gone to hell. What the heck brought this on?

8. Blitz Wing

Blitz Wing Triple Threat

It's just a teaser. For all you guys know, the storyline could have nothing to do with Zombies. I'm going to wait to find out more before I throw the creative team under the bus.

9. cagliostro

cagliostro Victi Vincimus

I thought that was just called House of M?

10. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And it could turn out to be well-written, too. Kind of hard to make any conclusions about the quality of the writing based on a picture of a few formerly dead characters walking out of a fire.

11. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Their running out of ideas. All they do now is make new ridiculous characters or bring back dead ones.

12. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    yeah but making silly threads to bash Marvel is the in-thing now. Has been for a while. I came here specifically to ask what script the thread creator read but yeah, just an image so far. Looks exciting as if it has anything to do with resurrection I'd love to see Banshee come back.

13. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

This. I don't disagree that big two comics are mostly a creative wasteland, but its pretty sad that people sit around the internet crying about stuff they apparently don't like or read anymore instead of moving the hell on.

14. Blitz Wing

Blitz Wing Triple Threat

Marvel previews came out today, apparently it is a Chaos War tie-in.

15. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    I don't even know what the hell is going on anymore with Marvel. And I don't want to know.

16. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    Chaos war Dead heroes come back to life to face live heros or something. Some evil dead god vs the marvel universe. ......The whole thing reads rip off of Blackest Night. And yes it's another probably poorly planned company wide stunt to get you to buy more books by marvel. For which they will get more poor saps to buy and the cycle will continue until I no longer purchase Marvel titles. I'm tired of stunt over substance.

17. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

Problem with Marvel these days is they have a company wide ADHD. They can't even finish one MEGA-SUPER-OMG-CROSSOVER before running into the next one.

I think Skrull war pretty much ran straight into President Osborn then Siege, Dark-Avengers, Necrocia all ran (or are running now) simultaniously! Chaos war is comming? Because there's still books comming out with the New Hope X-men saga.

Did I get any names wrong? Probably, BECAUSE I CAN'T KEEP UP WITH THIS BS ANYMORE!

I read 3 marvel titles last year. X-factor, New Mutants and Nova.

In 6 months I dropped X-factor for finanical reasons, plus I just didn't care anymore.

New Mutants excited me for about 4 issues ("we're getting the band back together") before they tied it into Necrotcia and brought back Doug Ramsey. I wonder how long it will take the new generation of writers to realize that there's NOT much they can do with the character? The most they ever did was the quasi-gay love angle with Warlock. Warlock is another charachter I love but is again almost impossilbe to write. He's TOO powerful, and TOO dangerous! Most of the Transmode-Phlanex-Techoarchy-Borg characters in Marvel are linked to him.

Not that it matters, instead of getting a neo-retro New Mutants book, we've rushed character development and launched a subtitle New Mutants Forever (with more Doug Ramsey? What the hell!)

Nova begat the Thanatos Imperative, but in this new world of internet spoilers and advance copies of Previews Mag rumor is
    Nova, Richard Rider, dies and passes the power on to Captian America
    and if that happens I'm dropping the title. I'd have liked to see a Nova-Corps series focusing on the 2nd string Nova's rebuilding the Corp and having adventures though out the galaxy. Something a little light hearted after all the Anhialation stuff. Sort of a Green Lantern Corp for Marvel. But that looks like it's not going to happen.

So by all means Marvel, please keep running your titles into the ground. I need to save my $ anyway.

18. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

One more quick thought re: Warlock and Marvel's bad editorial control of late.

In the main New Mutant's books (which takes place "today") after the events of Messiah Complex Warlock is seen purging LifeGlow from his system over the guilt of having to "eat" a sentient being. (which I gather was the obnoxiously evil Camron Hodge, who hates mutants so much he's lost all of his humanity to eleminate them)

While in NM Forever (which takes place,,, "earlier") Warlock "eats" a couple of 'redshirts' because that's the quickest and most efficient way to save his friends.

Since both books came out in the same month it's quite the disconnect.

19. payton34

payton34 Well-Known Member

News Credits:

If memory serves, the "...Forever" titles (X-men Forever, New Mutants Forever, etc) occur within their own alternate universe/continuity. Those stories don't occur within the 616 universe (or whatever they call standard Marvel U).

Just think of the "Forever" titles as the new version of the "Ultimate" line. They were within their own universe and never intersected with the traditional one.

20. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

I believe the real problem with Marvel Comics and to a Lesser Extent DC comics isn't the fact that the creative team is running out of ideas. I mean I could easily see them working some of these story ideas out a little better if not for one important facet.

Marvel Movieverse.

With the Marvel Feature Length Films project taking their characters back to the origin stories we're all familiar with by now (albeit with certain new twists for this modern era.) the comic companies force themselves to try and get the movie audiences to read the books by retconning massive amounts of things or pulling ill-prepared stunts in order to feature the characters the way they are portrayed in the films.

It happened with Spider-Man, The Fantastic Four to an extent, Daredevil I'd imagine though I couldn't be too sure on that and it definitely happened with X-Men.

If the writers of Marvel Comics would take a step back from their projects for a little bit of time and maybe tried harder to actually plot out their stories with a definite beginning, middle and end and just ignored the Movieverse Retconinng Stunts they might be able to still grab some of our attention.

As it stands right now I think what Marvel should be focusing on really is just a total scrapping of Earth 616. Reboot the entire Marvel Comics Universe based on the feature films if that's what they want to do. There is no guarantee that film audiences will start reading comics based on films based on comics from the 1960s and such. But it would make better sense than trying to shoe-horn all of the movie ideas into the mainstream Marvel universe.

DC Really hasn't been doing that sort of thing compared to Marvel I think. They don't worry about their features tieing into their comics. Of course I could be wrong.