Fan Art: Realistic Model Study

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by GrungeWerX, Sep 9, 2005.

1. GrungeWerX

GrungeWerX Well-Known Member

Hey, guys, been a while. So, I guess I'll just jump right in...

I was bored today and thought I'd do some more modelling study. I decided to play around with HDR lighting in Maya, so here's what I came up with.

Of course, this is a bad render with no planning, but it gives me an idea of what this model could look like in the real world once finished. Notice the difference from the prior test render?

I plan on working more with this, so I'll drop some more images later.

Any suggestions and info on realistic rendering would be helpful. You know, things to watch out for or things to pay attention to. Also, any tips on creating panoramic HDR images for rendering would help out tons! Thanks in advance guys!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    not sure about maya, but the skylight in 3D max set with a lightracer rendering setting, makes things look awesomly real if you have proper materials on your model. I think that's how it goes anyways..george and primus know how to make really realistic looking stuff, those two guys are where I learned how to do everything

I've been playing around with that too when ever I can, but I rarely get a chance to play with 3D stuff

3. Star Cracker

Star Cracker Well-Known Member

Sorry GrungeWerx, I don't know much about HDR, though one thing you may want to look at is Global Illumination and Final Gather under the Mental Ray tab in the Render Globals (Render Settings if you're using Maya 7).

It looks pretty cool for what you have so far, however, if you want to go for a realistic look, you're going to have to muddy her up a little along with grease marks, varied hull/fuselage/shell discoloration, smudges, and scratches here and there.

Believe me, textures can make a whole world of difference.

4. BMGFX

BMGFX Awesome Spooner Veteran

A large amount is the materials and texture. A surface will almost never be completely flat and shiny (unless your doing an ad for a car :D ). There will always be some kind of dirt, dust, or wear on a surface. Edges will have wear, and there could be random chips thrown in too. Throw all of those little details in with a nice lighting setup, and you could have a winner.

5. Quintesson #1

Quintesson #1 Eater of Fuzzy Stuff

Very nice sofar! Really like how you did the face, always tough to model a realistic looking robotface in 3D. :) 

6. GrungeWerX

GrungeWerX Well-Known Member

Thanks for the suggests guys! I really need any and all help. Anyone have any suggests on how to do textures in Maya or where I might be able to find some for free??

7. Star Cracker

Star Cracker Well-Known Member

Yes, you can enjoy the fun of spending two months laying out UVs before actually getting around to painting the damn textures.

In all honesty, I have a hard time figuring out how to do procedurals with Maya's shader network, which is why I eventually bit the bullet and started UV layouts.