Realistic Articulation?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Codimus Prime, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

Who was the earliest figure with the best articulation?

I was thinking about his when I got my G1 Optimus a while back. His shoulder really don't do a whole lot. Similar things can be seen in the G1 Ultra Magnus super robot mode, he's a brick from the waist down.

What would have been the first transformer with a high range of motion (similar to a human)?

Not looking for an official answer, but a discussion would be nice.

2. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    G1 Hun-grrrr had pretty good articulation for the time... But I guess modern articulation came up during G2 with Dreadwing/Smokescreen and similarly articulated toys.

3. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

Yeah, most G1 toys didn't have alot of articulation. As for the best.....hmmm...G1 Jetfire?

4. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Soundwave off the top of my head had decent articulation. Other then that, during G2 articulation started coming in leaps and bounds. Point in case, laser Op and the cyber jets.

5. LoserBroadside

LoserBroadside Your ship just came in.

G1 Preceptor was really good in the artic dept.

6. Xaxis

Xaxis Well-Known Member

I'd agree with Gnaw's answer of Jetfire.

After that, maybe G1 Scattershot (Technobot leader)?

7. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Galvatron was damn well articulated for the time. always funny that rodimus prime only had two points of articulation, while Galvatron had around 13.

8. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For me, it would be G1 Scattershot as he had basic articulation...arms and legs have movements. Behind him would be Hun-grr

9. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Banned

Which shouldn't really be counted because it was a Macross toy to begin with.

10. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    Who cares where it originated? It was G1, so I'd say it counts as much as any others...

11. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    If you're gonna discount Jetfire for being from Macross, why not all of the '84 lineup for being from Diaclone and Microman?

12. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'd agree that Jetfire was probably the first G1 toy with articulation comparable to what people usually expect nowadays. His arms have about as much range of movement as any modern TF. the legs only go forward and back at the hips and knees, but that's still more than a lot of G1s ever had.

13. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think the bigger issue is that the toy was created by a different company, with different design goals than Takara. The Valkyries were designed to be articulated, unlike the majority of Takara's offerings.

14. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Deluxe Insecticon Barrage had a good amount of articulation. He had bending knees, hips, shoulders and elbows. (the later moved to the side not forward but it did move) Not bad for a G1 bot, but where it shined was it's beast mode. All six bug legs had two joints, his head and horn were adjustable, and his wings each had a double joit that would allow you to open them up and to rotate them to the side at an angle.

15. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Again, though, the deluxe Insecticons were Bandai molds, not Takara's, if we're making that distinction.

16. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    IMO, G1 Jetfire's articulation was probably a fluke i.e. he had to be articulated to be able to transform. For example, the way his arms and legs need to be bend etc.

17. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

I would have to say G1 perceptor and galvatron were pretty articulated. Can't really get them into too many stable cool poses, however they have the points of articulation. Non takara/hasbro G1 borrowed sutff like Jetfire too.

I think modern articulation was being experimented with/created in G2. and full blown in Beast Wars. The original 84 line from diaclone etc from takara was created as quick change. All the japanese commercials I have seen from diaclone give me that perception. They were going for fast conversion, not articulation then.

18. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Anyone who doesn't think a Cyberjet has "full blown" articulation needs to re-check the Cyberjets. That, in my mind, marks the first figures with modern articulation and a lot of modern designs could learn a thing or two from them. Sure, they're a bit floppy compared to modern designs, but they had every articulation point that matters on a figure of their size.

Laser Optimus has good articulation too, of a completely different type from the balljoint articulation of the Cyberjets. But, if you take a Cyberjet and the Laser Optimus mold, you've got all modern articulation styles completely covered. Ratchet joints? Ball joints? Pivot joints? Hinges? All present.

19. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    G1 is G1.

Jetfire FTW!

20. NeilJam

NeilJam Resident Audiophile

He could have still transformed jet to robot with much less articulation (though the 3rd mode would have been sacrificed). The knees & elbows come to mind first. I don't think the legs had to be artculated at all except the joint where they swing down.