RealD 3d vs IMAX 3D? What's the difference and which one should I go see DOTM in?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by netkid, Jun 23, 2011.

1. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    The movie is almost here and this question has been bugging me for the past week.

What is RealD 3D?
    What is IMAX 3D?
    What's the difference between the two?
    Which one is better?
    What are the Pros & Cons of each one?
    And
    Which one should I go see DOTM in?

Also, how can I find out which type of 3D a theater is showing DOTM in?

Your help will be greatly appreciated!

2. Chris Bot

Chris Bot AutoChrisbot

News Credits:
    Well IMAX is a huge screen with a squarish ratio while ReadD is Digital 3D using the more traditional, rectangular screen.

What I'm trying to get straight is that, from what I understand, the movie was not shot with IMAX cameras at all. Does that mean that the IMAX version will be for the novelty of the huge screen? Won't the sides of the rectangular picture in which it was shot with Digital 3D cameras be cut off?

I don't wanna pay top dollar for an incomplete version just sos I can say I saw it in IMAX 3D.

What I'm thinking is, save a few bucks and see the complete picture in Digital RealD.

Or am I wrong?

3. Jadryx

Jadryx Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  4. netkid

News Credits:
    More questions:

-As with the last two films, does the IMAX version feature extra footage again?

5. Jadryx

Jadryx Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I haven't heard of any additional footage for the IMAX version. I think it will be the same movie no matter which version you see.

6. Trypticon 2010

Trypticon 2010 Well-Known Member

Possibly a few minutes extra, but not the 22 minutes that some are claiming.

Personally I don't think it's worth paying extra just for a few mins of human footage, if there is any.

All versions are 154 mins longs, no word yet if the IMAX version will even have any extra footage at all.

7. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'd recommend seeing it each way, to see which one you personally like the best.

8. Orlandu

Orlandu New Member

There is no additional footage for IMAX or any specific version. They are all the same length.

IMAX 3D will not be using the full screen size. All it means is that they are using IMAX 3D projectors for the 3D effect. RealD 3D uses different technology to produce the 3D effect. From seeing Avatar in both RealD 3D and IMAX 3D, the main difference is the eye strain. IMAX 3D tends to have better colors and more depth meaning the 3D effects pop out at you more while RealD/Digital 3D tend to be easier on your eyes but sacrifices a little depth and color richness.

If you've never seen a movie in 3D yet, I suggest IMAX 3D first. If you walk away from the theater with a headache or sore eyes, then try RealD on your next 3D movie.

Edit: Forgot to answer this one.
    Fandango They specify which type of 3D it is showing in, be it IMAX or RealD.

9. netkid

News Credits:
    What about Dolby Digital 3D? I heard it's the newest and best 3D with more depth into the screen (like a Nintendo 3DS) and less gimmicky pop-out effects.

10. Jadryx

Jadryx Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This was in one of the threads I linked to earlier (guess you didn't look at them yet)-

11. Orlandu

Orlandu New Member

Dolby 3D is very similar RealD but it is a slightly newer technology. RealD is more common than Dolby 3D though so it just depends on if you have a theater in town with it.

Here is a good article that explains the differences. I'd still recommend IMAX 3D as your first 3D experience. If Dolby 3D is available and you want to try it out first, you won't be disappointed either way.