REAL Star Wars Transformers...someone help me here

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by mblase, Sep 18, 2006.

1. mblase

mblase Well-Known Member

Don't ask why, but I was thinking about Hasbro's "Star Wars Transformers" a while ago, and couldn't help thinking... they're going about this all wrong.

What we'd really like to see... and I hope you'll agree with me here... is the Transformers in the "Star Wars" universe, a la the recent IDW Hearts of Steel comic.

You know it would work. Bumblebee as a landspeeder? A natural. Prowl would make a great snowspeeder. For that matter, Episode II established we have hundreds of speeder styles to choose from for the Autobots. We'd have Starscream, Skywarp and Thundercracker as TIE fighters, and the Millenium Falcon would, of course, have to be Jetfire.

And assortment of X-Wing, Y-Wing, A-Wing, B-Wing, and Naboo starfighters would make great Aerialbots. I'm not sure what Megatron would turn into, but a ground-mounted Quad laser cannon or one of those SPHA-T heavy artillery tanks from Episode I have some intriguing possibilities.

The result of a fusion of Unicron and the Death Star are, I think, best left unexplored for now.

Continuity-wise, you could shoehorn it in between episodes III and IV, to get the best vehicles from both worlds and still have the Rebellion vs. the Empire to play with. Only downside: no Jedi, or at least no virtuous ones. But then, a Yoda-level Jedi could make short work of any Transformer, so that's probably for the best. (Question: if the Force proceeds from all living things, does that include mechanical Sparks? Could a Decepticon, in other words, become a Dark Lord of the Sith?)

But no matter how often I revisited this idea, I was stuck on one point: What the heck would Optimus Prime use as an alt mode?

It'd have to be some kind of truck-like machine, and those are few in the Star Wars universe, which generally prefers spaceships to speeders. But the only thing I can think of that's the right size would be a Jawa Sandcrawler, and those are slow as molasses.

So, could someone help me out here? I'd hate to have my entire 1980's fan boy's wet dream fall to pieces just because George Lucas didn't envision any trucks in his films.

2. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    yaeh, i think this thread happened awhile ago...i like the starwars transformers how they are....they look like good SW vehicles...i think itd be way to hard to have them look like a SW vehicle in one mode, and then the TFs we love in the other...so for now, ill stick with what we got...

3. Astro-Furby

Astro-Furby N7 Destroyer

how about the blockade runner from the start of Ep IV, or one of those multi wheeled clone transporters from Ep III, or he could be a republic gunship

4. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Ha, I like that idea. Funny, it's so natural, but I never thought of it before.

You know, I would actually say Optimus should be the Millenium Falcon, not Jetfire. It's one of the most iconic and heroic ships, it's a freighter, and it ain't pretty but it's powerful and battle-hardened. And always shows up to save the day. That HAS to be Optimus.

Now, to flop it around, I think the Republic Blockade Runner would be a good Jetfire. Big, fast, can carry other ships..... and even already has the red and white color scheme!

I like the idea of Bumblebee as a Landspeeder and Jazz as a snowspeeder. If you want to get into prequel territory, I think Anakin's yellow Jedi starfighter would also make a terrific Bumblebee, with Obiwan's red fighter as Cliffjumper. Cliffjumper could also be a sweet A-Wing.

Here are some others I would suggest:

Prowl/Bluestreak/Smokescreen: X-Wings (sleek, fast, smaller)
    Sideswipe/Sunstreaker/Tracks: ARC-170 Fighters (sleek, fast, but beefier)
    Trailbreaker/Ironhide: Y-Wings (slower and tougher) or Clone Turbo Tanks (tough)
    Ratchet: I dunno..... maybe a Republic Gunship?
    Inferno: Gotta be a fireship from EP3
    Other Minibots: A-Wings and/or Jedi Starfighters (tiny, cute, and fast)
    Starscream, Skywarp, Thundercracker: TIE Interceptors (fast, deadly, fly in threes)
    Coneheads: Regular TIE Fighters (not quite as cool as Interceptors)
    Soundwave: Imperial Shuttle (loyal, cold, sinister)
    Shockwave: TIE Advance (with his one eye, he's gotta be SOME sort of TIE)
    Rumble and Frenzy: AT-ST's
    Ravage and Laserbeak: Speederbikes
    Devastator: AT-AT.... or maybe even a Star Destroyer
    Megatron: I dunno.... this is a tough one...

And of course....

Wheelie: A Gungan battle wagon :) 

Hmm, who would make a good Slave 1?

5. Jochimus

Jochimus Well-Known Member

Here's what I would have gone with, strictly Classic Trilogy:

AUTOBOTS

* Optimus Prime - Jawa Sandcrawler (more consistent with his usual tractor-trailer alt-mode than, say, the Falcon)
    * Bumblebee - Luke's Landspeeder (in keeping with Bumblebee spending the most time among humans, through a teenager)
    * Jazz - Luke's T-16 Skyhopper (more fitting of Jazz' obsession with things that are cool)
    * Sideswipe/Sunstreaker/Red Alert - X-Wing Fighters (consistent with Hasbro's penchant for repaints)
    * Prowl/Bluestreak/Smokescreen - Y-Wing Fighters (see above)
    * Grimlock - Millennium Falcon (more in line with the mercenarial nature of the character than it would be for Prime or Jetfire)

DECEPTICONS

* Megatron - Vader's Lightsaber (a nod to the original G1 'Megatron as handheld weapon' concept)
    * Starscream - Vader's TIE Fighter (a natural fit for the deadliest TIE in the Imperial Navy to double as the deadliest of the Seekers)
    * Thundercracker/Skywarp - Standard TIE Fighter (compromises the aforementioned repaint habit with a bit of diversity)
    * Shockwave - Imperial Laser Pistol (to make sure that at least ONE of the two 'gun' 'Cons is still a gun)
    * Soundwave - Scanner unit that was supposed to be used by the Imperials on the Falcon before Han and Luke got the drop on them
    * Rumble/Frenzy - Mouse Droid (that little thing Chewbacca snarled at when he was being 'taken to his cell).
    * Laserbeak/Buzzsaw - Interrogation Droid (haven't thought out what to do with Ravage...sorry).

6. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I'd totally buy a Star Wars Transformers comic. No matter how corny the idea, conception, execution or end result, I would really enjoy something like that.

I don't think this would be feasible, though; Dark Horse owns the Star Wars license (and seems to have a pretty universal stranglehold on it) and IDW is owned by Transformers.

Now, I could - and probably am - very wrong, as I figure that there have been comic book crossovers in the past that have transcended licensing problems. (The only one I can think of right now is when Raphael the Ninja Turtle hung out with the Flaming Carrot for a while. )

Hell, why not? If IDW could acquire use of the Star Wars names & likenesses (or vice versa, where Dark Horse did some Star Wars TFs) I'd totally be down for that.

7. Jochimus

Jochimus Well-Known Member

Well, the Turtles have a BIT of history of mixing it up with other franchises, just evidenced by some of the waves of the original toy line. In fact, I've still got my Donatello as Mr. Spock figure. Seriously. Pointy green ears and all.

8. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm sure no one in a toy or movie company likes it, but I prefer the idea of no pre-established characters as robots in SWTFs, either the Star Wars or Transformer characters.

9. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Optimus Prime should be the Jawa Sandcrawler.

What?

;) 

10. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Hey, I jut thought of something. Scourge should be the Imperial Star Destroyer, and Unicron should be the Death Star. Peace out.

11. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Yeah. That I simply wouldn't dig.

Hell, even if the premise was something along the lines of "We've created these new droid troops who can transform into vehicles, now you, Luke Skywalker and Han Solo, will fight with them in battle! Oh, the Imperials have them, too." ...it'd be better than Luke Skywalker AS the X-wing.

12. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I could appreciate that one. Transforming vehicles/mecha, maybe with some Star Wars "droid" design sensibility, maybe even with SW character pilot figures, but not in the image of the SW characters (or Starscream/Optimus/Cheetor/whoever, for that matter)

13. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Or maybe even Imperials discovered a crashed Transformer Transport (from another dimension... and time) and cannabalised the technology into their machines, which the Rebels then had to reverse engineer themselves to compete.

The one thing that (mostly) spoils the toys for me is their strict adherance of accuracy for the Alt mode... don't get me wrong, it means the Alt modes are spectacular, but some SWTF's bot modes have been ruined because of this. (Vader anyone?)

Also the robotised human heads are poop. If I could get hold of some junkers I'd replace the heads on most of my SWTF's.