REAL Reason Why Orci and Kurtzman left?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Autobot_Wall-E, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Autobot_Wall-E

Autobot_Wall-E The Musical

You know, I was thinking about this today, and I thought maybe they left because they knew ROTF had a lot of stuff in it that was going to get heavy criticism and they didn't want their reputations tarnished. I would leave too if I knew that everything that was bad in ROTF was in a movie I was working on.

It may be a smart move for their sakes because if TF3 has worse stuff, then people may connect that to them leaving and think that they were what was holding the movie series up.

Just :2c: 

2. Kraken2009

Kraken2009 Megatron's Right Hand

I agree. I think they were basically ashamed of some of the things that were put in. .:thumbs2: 

3. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    First of all, their creative reputations are spotty at best. Second, writing a movie that earned $400 million (domestic) is a huge bargaining chip when negotiating for future projects. I guarantee you they take credit for writing it when it comes time to sign onto a new job and are looking for a big payday.

I've always been of the opinion that these guys were not well-equipped to write a Transformers-based movie. I think that story and dialogue-wise, TF2 actually did a better job overall than TF1. TF1 has more stupid jokes and a much flimsier premise than people give it credit for - and that one is 100% on them. I never got the impression that their hearts were into the gig (hired guns, if you will). I'm not surprised they left, and honestly, I'm not disappointed either.

4. Xaddion

Xaddion ...

News Credits:
    Yeah, because Roger Ebert, the greatest critic ever to walk the Earth, made complete fools of them for writing that piece of garbage that only dragged in 800 measly dollars in his stunning and insightful review and their commercial failure made them the laughing stock of the film-making industry.

5. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Maybe they finally realized they write Transformers poorly.

6. Starscreamer95

Starscreamer95 'Civil' Nintendo Fanboy

News Credits:
    To them, the magic may have just died.

7. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    They probably got fed up with reading all the whining about their work. Seriously; I'd love to see anyone on this board (except Bob Orci, of course) balance all the years of fiction with the need to make a summer tentpole popcorn flick about a toyline that Joe Filmgoer will enjoy.

8. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Orci/Kurtzman definitely had a different idea for ROTF than Bay did and it showed. I think leaving was their way of saying "Look, if you're not going to listen to our suggestions as writers, then we've had it"

9. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    Maybe Autobot Wall-E onto something.

10. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    They've got other stuff going on, that's the official response. They're passing the torch to Ehren.

That, and the movie was seriously hurt by the writer's strike, it makes sense that they weren't completely satisfied with the final product. But to think a bunch of fanboy bitching is what caused them to up and leave is, quite frankly, immature and ignorant. If that were true, they would'nt have signed on for ROTF after the massive amount of nerdrage over the first film. Not to mention, I'm sure they're adult enough to not take anything people say on boards like these seriously.

11. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I think they just had enough. It was probably a bad experience working on ROTF (maybe between Bay, the Transformers Franchise itsef, who effing knows?) but they just wanted to get out and work on something new.

I could care less. I greatly enjoyed TF1, but ROTF was a fucking joke as far as story went IMO. I loved the movie, but it was shiffty as hell. Maybe that was due to the strike, Bay and Orci/Kurtzman's relationship, or whatever. I hope the best for these two guys cuz they have the ability to write some top notch shit...but a change needed to be made for TF3. It was either Bay or Orci/Kurtzman leaving...we got the latter. Let's hope it works.

12. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    well, they said they were out of ideas, and it could be as simple as that.

In many respects ROTF jumped the shark. I think it's just going to be a hard film to follow up. Audiences will expect the sequel to top ROTF for spectacle, and that's not going to be easy. On top of that, there's a lot of baggage from the previous films that needs to be tied up or continued. And at the same time, they'll be expected to expand the Autobot and Decepticon cast. The risk is that it'll get ever more ridiculous and incomprehensible.

I'm sure they have ideas, but they probably just haven't come up with anything they're terribly enthusiastic about. It's so much easier to pour your efforts into something you believe in. And they are at a stage in their careers where they can afford to turn work down.

13. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

That is my theory as well. As a creative person it would have to be rough being hired for your creative input only to have that creative input always shoved aside because it didn't fit the director's vision. I think they just got tired of not being able to tell a story so they said fine we will go tell our stories somewhere else.

To walk away from a huge franchise like that is the sort of commitment to art you don't see very often in Hollywood any more, so you have to admire someone who puts their art over money.

14. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    One big reason: Star Trek. It makes less money than TF, but is infinitely more enjoyed and respected as a fictional entity as a fictional entity by them, the critics, and by the audiences who actually watched the two films, I'd argue.

Star Trek was fantastic by comparison to ROTF.

I thought we all got over the initial knee-jerk reaction to Ebert's comments (which were mostly valid)? I can still enjoy ROTF while admitting it was a bit crap.

15. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:

Commitment to art, sure. They probably said they'd do it for X amount of money, and the studio said no.

16. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    I'd argue that the Star Trek franchise has had decades more time to build a fan base. Not to mention the fact that the '09 movie has received its share of story criticisms.

17. Jumpman

Jumpman Member

First of all, their creative reputations are spotty at best. Second, writing a movie that earned $400 million (domestic) is a huge bargaining chip when negotiating for future projects. I guarantee you they take credit for writing it when it comes time to sign onto a new job and are looking for a big payday.

I've always been of the opinion that these guys were not well-equipped to write a Transformers-based movie. I think that story and dialogue-wise, TF2 actually did a better job overall than TF1. TF1 has more stupid jokes and a much flimsier premise than people give it credit for - and that one is 100% on them. I never got the impression that their hearts were into the gig (hired guns, if you will). I'm not surprised they left, and honestly, I'm not disappointed either.

Bingo, Ephland. On the money.

And don't even get me started on Star Trek, a film like Revenge of the Fallen and the first Transformers film, that comes back from the brink because of its director and cast, not the script.

Like Iron Man before it, Star Trek at the script level, thinks it's cleverer than it actually is.

Transformers is an even bigger writing problem than Revenge of the Fallen. That film just lack more time to polish the script. The premise of the story is actually much more interesting than the first film.

I mean, answer this question everyone, why are Maggie and Glen even in the first film when the mustache Sector Seven guy comes in a basically tells Jon Voight's character everything that Maggie's being finding out for a quarter of the film?

Seriously, just have Jon Voight and a bunch of military tech extras scrambling to figure out what the hell is going on and go right to the scene we have in the film when Sector Seven shows up. No need for Maggie and Glen.

The same with the scene at Sam's house looking for the glasses. As an individual scene, it's funny. But, it's pure stupid and a lot the characterization of the robots is way off. Hell, the scene ends with Sam asking his mother where his backpack is. She gives the answer. Why not just go that route to begin with?

Mission City idea is even worse.

Bob and Alex are trying to distance themselves from this thing and they shouldn't. And the funny thing is, they have an almost airtight excuse with the strike happening....

18. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

:lol  I love the way everyone ignored this and carried on with their wild theories. <3 the internets.

19. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    Conspiracy theories for $200 Alex.

Seriously? Why does there need to be some unrealistic, alterior motive to them leaving the film? They made their statement. It is what it is - just take them at their word and move on. TF3 will be fine without them.

20. Gozer-Bot

Gozer-Bot Banned

I want to get my two cents in here before the powers that be lock this thread, as it clearly criticizes the film and that seems to be a big no-no around here.

I mean, I'm surprised it's lasted this long. Twin Twist has been here and gone, a post above him (her?) points out plot holes. Topics have been closed for less than that.

Color me baffled.

A lot of the time, when someone in the camera's eye says something to the public, they're BSing. 'Sides, the truth is out there.

This, a million times over. This is how it works. You have writers on your staff and thus you need to listen to their suggestions. That's why they're writers in the first place and that's why you hired them. Bay doesn't know much in the way of writing and he most likely thinks he does. I wouldn't want to work in that kind of environment, especially when they had to rush back and throw something together after the strike from random pieces of concept art. I can't imagine how stressful that must have been.