Real reason for collecting?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Bezuul, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Applejacktimus

Applejacktimus Likes Alpha Bravo

No one needs a reason to love giant robots. It's one of those primal desires we're hardwired to love, like dinosaurs and rock.

• Like Like x 12
  2. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Your cadaverous palor betrays an aura of forboding

Two words:
    Nostalgia.
    FUN.

'Nuff said :D 

• Like Like x 4
  3. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee I must be some kind of nut...

I just like having representation of the characters I love in the palms of my hands. The imagination and engineering that goes into the transformations and the gimmicks has me hooked further and has led to me picking up characters I otherwise wouldn't care too much for. The options of displaying them as a robot or a vehicle/device/creature is awesome.
    Plus, the imagination you yourself can put into them in telling your own stories with them adds a whole new level of fun to them.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Addiction to plastic crack?

• Like Like x 6
  5. Venixion

Venixion Member of the notorious Pew-Pew Posse

News Credits:
    I don't know? I mean I had a collector mentality as a kid because I had lots of other things that I loved. MLP, dinosaurs, toy animals, model horses, shells/rocks/crystals and I would always put them away nice and neat as a kid when I was done playing. Trust me, even today I'm not a neat freak.

I never had Transformers or TMNT or GI Joe growing up because I was told they were boys toys. But that didn't stop me from watching the show and playing with my cousins and neighbors toys.

The movies started coming in and my kiddo started watching Animated and some of the cartoons I grew up with on youtube. We saw the first movie, I got back into the toon when Prime hit. I bought my daughter Ripclaw and boyfriend Mudflap or Skids, don't remember which.

Eventually I bought myself a two pack with Ratbat and Frenzy to share. She got Frenzy and I got Ratbat. I don't think I got seriously interested in them till Combiner Wars. Even now I consider TF one of my low priority collections.

Still, we've both got decent sized collections that we love and enjoy TF hunting together. We watched the original cartoon boxset and movie together last year.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    • Like Like x 11
  6. Rquiem

Rquiem Dutchbot

News Credits:
    The voices in my head man.....

• Like Like x 5
  7. Toddimus Prime

Toddimus Prime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I'm sorry you've had such troubles, my friend...I've waged my own battle with clinical depression in recent years, and having a hobby does prove to be quite cathartic...at least it is for me. I find myself getting lost in my own thoughts and imagination whenever I drag my figures out and look at them from time to time, which is a rare treat these days. It's also a reminder of simpler times...afternoons and Christmas breaks playing with my little brother, remembering times when our dad was still around and buying them for us, watching the show and movies together...they're cool regardless of the experiences and memories, but that's a big part of it for me. I guess I'm sentimental that way, probably to a fault...

• Like Like x 6
  8. Thundermania

Thundermania Liege Centuro

YouTube:
    Always wanted Headmaster figures as a kid, never were any. Last year there were Headmasters, now I have a hobby.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Venixion

News Credits:

Yes definitely this too.

• Like Like x 2
  10. 8bitboy

8bitboy Well-Known Member

Good to know I'm not alone. Yea... I was dealing with abandonment for the umpteenth time and I was told to get into something that would make me happy. I didn't know what that could be at first. Just ended up walking into a toy shop one gloomy day January 2013 and saw a deluxe movie Optimus Prime toy. I had other Transformers when I was a kid but I'd thrown them away years ago. Within that collection, I never owned Optimus Prime. It was then I decided, what the hell. I'll buy it. Wouldn't hurt and I'd finally own Optimus. From there I found TFW2005, the IDW comics, TFwiki, rekindled my love for the cartoons and the list goes on. Ultimately I thank God and my family for the support and getting me back into this in the first place. Fuels imagination and thrills. Cool that it does just about the same thing for you and more.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

I've always loved them. However in the last 2 years, my collecting was the first sign that I have Aspergers.

I was diagnosed the week after my 40th birthday.

I can't regret my collecting though. I've made great friends through it from all around the world.

It's great for bonding with my 6 young nieces and nephews.

Even lately I said to my mother, "how come you and Dad never gave me a hard time about collecting?"

She said I could be doing a lot worse.

I've been going through some rough times but the Transformers are a nice outlet. They've even given me a new hobby with customising which I find very relaxing.

That said, my family have always been amazingly supportive. I couldn't ask for better.

• Like Like x 6
  12. Sidewings

Sidewings Victim Of Boredom

It's fun simple as that.

• Like Like x 3
  13. ar78

ar78 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Because I love robots and spaceships.

And you have robot spaceships.

Then you have a wife that throws away your box of Gundam, Robotech, and ExoSquad, so you get back at her by filling your son's room with Transformers. Bwah, ha ha ha.

• Like Like x 2
  14. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Honestly, I think it's a combination of nostalgia and boredom. There's so much more I could do with the money I spent on this stuff..

• Like Like x 1
  15. Bakuformer00

Bakuformer00 Autobot Servant

Because Transformers are like a puzzle to me, and me being a fan of transforming robots and cars as a kid keeps me alive. I always love collecting Transformers and will never get tired of it.

• Like Like x 2
  16. CigarJackal

CigarJackal Cy-gar smoking beast warrior

Instagram:
    I was a teenager when Transformers came out. I loved the comic books and G1 cartoons. However, I was a bit too old to be buying toys at that age.

Fast forward to 2016 and I saw Phelous's review of the Seeker's Aces set from Takara, and I thought, how cool it would be to get those original jets. Predaking came next, then Seeker Elites, and UW-Devastator. Then I fell down the Masterpiece hole.

20180307_090019.jpg 20180309_102029.jpg 20180309_134056.jpg 20170205_200912.jpg 20180102_200957.jpg 20170926_204755.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  17. mcart

mcart I'm not fat, it's Prime Armor

News Credits:
    I'm not wanting to go into it as my ambition tends to outstrip my capabilities but I have plans... Oh yes!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Scowly Prowl

Scowly Prowl Still calculating variables...

It's like I've said before, it's cheaper than golf, and I have something to show for it...

Also, it reminds me of a simpler time, when we didn't have much. Now that I can, I collect the things that make me happy. Life's too short to waste it on playing golf.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Venixion

News Credits:

Are you plotting out loud again mcart? Geeze!

:p 

• Like Like x 1
  20. Nemesis Otaku

Nemesis Otaku I love both Nemesis Prime and Anime!

I loved giant robots as a kid, and the concept of war interested me. I watched CN as a kid and I guess stumbled on Animated season 1. After that, I watched the 2007 live action film, and loved it. However, I focused on Lego back then, so I only watched the films. Sometime around 2014, I stumbled onto the IDW comics. (Fun fact: Dark Cybertron #1 was my first TF comic) I saw wave 1 of Combiner Wars, picked up all the Deluxes and Voyagers, and bam! I ended up selling my Legos during 6th grade, and started focusing on Transformers.

I don't really have a "reason" for it, other than I value the franchise very high in my heart. I plan on staying with this franchise as long as possible.

• Like Like x 3