Real reason for collecting?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Bezuul, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Bezuul

Bezuul Well-Known Member

I was really young when I somehow found out about the 1995 Mega Man figures before the release and started calling local TRU stores before asking my grandfather to take me out and spend my hard earned money. Door to door sales since I was 7. I should have known then that I was a collector. I have gone through periods of spending every spare cent on a new figure to selling everything out of necessity. I always picked up something and threw it in a box though. I’m a straight up addict. I buy stuff just to play with and resale at times. I think the influx of figures definitely depends on my emotional state. I work hard and have so many things to attend to at times that tends to fade collecting into the background but my bathroom reading is always BBTS preorders and arrivals.

What drives you? What are your lean times like and what are the fat? Are you a hardcore addict or can you let it go for years? Either way I feel your pain and joy.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Gepard

Gepard Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's to fill that empty, empty hole inside.

And because I love robots.

• Like Like x 36
  3. Kotori Sonoda

Kotori Sonoda Yohane's Little Demon

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I've been exposed to the media (especially the 07 bay movie) as a kid, which pretty much implanted "giant transforming robots=awesome" into my young brain.
    Plus there's the accessibility of transformers, I can just walk to a toy store and get stuff I want (distribution in my country is, generally speaking, okay).
    I never had a lot of toys as a kid, so as a collector now, I can buy all the cool toys I want. I use the toys as a stress reliever, going home tired after work, I pick up a TF and start fiddling with it, playing with it.

As for letting it go? The thought has crossed my mind, but my collection is like my babies already. I can't!

• Like Like x 4
  4. geezerman402

geezerman402 Well-Known Member

Like most things in my life, it is to distract myself from how utterly meaningless existence is, how mine will one day come to an end, and the universe will carry on.

Plus, I like toy robots.

• Like Like x 12
  5. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

I want to buy it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. oku

oku Oh.

News Credits:
    Too lazy to sell them all.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Starry Night Melody

News Credits:
    OP sounds like you have a problem man.

• Like Like x 1
  8. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've always loved science fiction, especially robots. Transformers and GoBots were my first real taste of robot anything, but it was Star Trek: The Next Generation that firmly cemented my love for science fiction and robots.

Data's pursuit to be more human was captivating and made you think about your own humanity.

I couldn't get past Transformers, though. They're still (and were) my first love. I'm fascinated by how they change from one thing to the next, right there in the palm of my hand.

Some are stupidly simple, some are nervewrackingly complex, but they all take me to a happy place, if only for a few moments, but in those moments... Magic.

It's also something I can share and pass down to my son or his kids. It's multi generational, it's a sort of happy place.

• Like Like x 5
  9. Toddimus Prime

Toddimus Prime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    It was hard-wired into my brain around 1984, when I was eleven. Prior to that I had been raised on Marvel and DC Megos, with a few Star Trek ones thrown-in for good measure, Star Wars, of course, then G.I. Joe came along and consumed my every waking moment and any money I could scrape-up or beg for. But Transformers kind of came out of nowhere for me...I had a handful of the little three-or-so-inch die-cast Shogun Warriors when I was smaller (you youngsters can Google them), and that was probably my introduction to large, fighting robots. Robots that could convert into cool cars, trucks, and planes was just so revolutionary back in the day...none of us had ever seen toys like them. I remember I didn't catch-on right away...my little brother had asked for Optimus Prime for Christmas that year, and we thought it was funny when our dad would call him "Optical Plus" because he could never get the name right. (lol) Anyway, as my brother started to slowly build his collection, I began to appreciate them myself, and I, too began to ask for them or buy them whenever I had the money...

Over the years, I always considered my brother more of the Transformers collector in the family, but I owned quite a few of them myself. However, as was the case with all my other figures and toys, I barely handled or really played with mine in the traditional sense...even back then I appreciated my toys as collectibles and took extra care of them. My brother played with his stuff until it broke or fell apart. (lol) But we both loved the tv show and would watch it every afternoon when we got home from school. We also read every issue of the comic that we could get our hands on. So you could say G1 was etched into my brain at an early age...

Then the 1986 animated movie came out, and that's when my appreciation kicked into high gear. I had a couple of friends at school I enjoyed the hobby with...after we finished our schoolwork, I'd be commissioned by my friends to draw Transformers for them...I got pretty good at drawing Optimus and Jetfire, incidentally. But it seemed like every character or combiner set that came out were the figures to have, and when I look back, it was as if every single character was special and sought after...Transformers seemed to become the premier toys back in the day, and we wanted them all...

So as you can imagine, I've got alot of fond memories and feelings tied-up in Transformers, but it was only as an adult did I realize I was a true fan and collector...I guess I just kind of took it for granted when I was a kid. For me, it's as if I'm preserving a small and extremely enjoyable part of my childhood. That's the part of collecting I enjoy...it's as if I'm being afforded a second opportunity to relive the fun parts of my youth, I guess...and maybe the chance to acquire some figures I didn't have or couldn't afford. Plus, Transformers are just cool...I'm endlessly fascinated by the concept of cool vehicles being a disguise for alien robots that wage a never-ending battle between good and evil. And the aforementioned Michael Bay films only furthered the cool factor of that concept and forever cemented its place in our pop-culture lexicon. It was as if the rest of the world could finally see what the big deal was concerning transforming robots and why they were so cool, something us fanboys knew all along...

I don't know...part of it is my collector's mentality. I just naturally and intuitively enjoy preserving collectibles and displaying and/or enjoying them in general. But when it comes to Transformers in particular, part of the appeal is of course the memories and experiences they invoke, along with the way they spark my imagination like nothing else. It's a combination of things, really, and I'm not sure I can adequately explain their appeal entirely.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    • Like Like x 6
  10. calvin0

calvin0 Well-Known Member

Google+:
    my reason is easy, I dont want to growth up... so i dont stop playing with toys...

• Like Like x 7
  11. Jazz1992

Jazz1992 Adult Toy Collector....that came out wrong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I started to collect because it was something I could do with my brother, and got into it when we went to Botcon for the first time. I always loved Transformers movies, comics, and some shows, and the toys were cool as a kid. I got a few and just wanted more.

I continue to collect because I have a very high stress job and two kids. I stopped collecting for the better part of two years, and was constantly focusing on work. This led to me being in a very bad place mentally, and i needed an outlet. I needed something for me. Theres a book called Emotional Survival for Law Enforcement that Im actually required to have in my car. One day while on lunch I was reading it and learned many people in my position's biggest regret is giving up their hobbies. So I started collecting again. Im still stressed, but im WAY better than i was.

Also i like robots.

• Like Like x 7
  12. Makarov

Makarov Well-Known Member

Randomly saw Titans Return Blurr at Walmart and picked it up, went online to look up the rest of the wave and saw Titans Return Kup, then realized how awesome these toys had become since G2 Megatron green/purple tank I had as a kid. Then I started rewatching G1 Transformers and remembered how great it was. A year or so later and I now have a huge collection.

• Like Like x 5
  13. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    Because with all the dragons outside I feel safer protected by an army of robots.

• Like Like x 3
  14. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

Funny you should say that. I saw TR Blurr in Walmart last December...that got me back into collecting after a 10 year break.

I have liked TFs since '84, but I didn't have many as a kid. My adulthood collecting phases have been mainly driven by a desire to have the things I had always wanted as a kid. I sold most of my stuff once...partially due to burnout...but would never let go of my core cast of favorites.

• Like Like x 1
  15. microclone

microclone Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As a kid I had micronauts (aka microman) so I guess that takara Japanese aesthetic along with some transforming aspects fascinated me. When G1 started I was a bit past the age when getting toys was acceptable so I simply looked and admired the toys from a distance, I did buy a 1989? jazz euro reissue!

Come beast wars and I decided as a young adult to buy these cool things.....since then I have always bought TF be it current or G1 reissues/vintage, plus a few other lines, however my rule is I stick to around 400 figs, when I want a new one.......something goes both to make room and to pay for.

As for my collecting 'style' I just buy the figures I like on their own merits, I don't care for a given character, scale, series or notions of completion/gimmick collection and I try as best to have a disparate collection as possible to keep it interesting.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  16. 8bitboy

8bitboy Well-Known Member

Initially it was to deal with a mental breakdown. Then after getting over that I collected for the sake of nostalgia as well as to tell photo comic stories with them.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Bezuul

Bezuul Well-Known Member

Lol, oh it’s definitely a constant bandaid to stop my leaking emotions. But if things changed and life needed my attention then I could forget they existed for a time.

I will say toys are an amazing catalyst to imagination. If you’re a creative you could be building a world just from your feelings for a show or film based on your affinity for a single figure.

• Like Like x 1
  18. axl6533

axl6533 metal forever

News Credits:
    I honestly don't know why I am still collecting transformers every time I try to leave hasbro drags me back in

19. Electro Rush

Electro Rush Just a guy waiting for the perfect Whirl TFW2005 Supporter

dopamine.

• Like Like x 11
  20. FanboyX

FanboyX is a real boy

They look neat and represent characters I have a fondness for, even if its only design-wise. I go for engaging engineering, and consider the best pieces to be art. Little sculptures I can pose as I will. I've also recently got into composition and photography, and my collection is probably my favorite subject to photograph.

• Like Like x 3