Real or Fake Fort Max Dual Laser Cannon?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Tridecaphi, May 16, 2012.

1. Tridecaphi

Tridecaphi Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I just bought this off a guy on ebay, goes by the seller ID 7230norma. I bought it expecting it to be an authentic Fortress Maximus dual laser cannon, but when I got it, I'm fairly certain it's a repro.

Here are the pictures and notes as to why I think it's fake:

Underside of the gun #1. Notice the circular molding residue where the hand grip meets the laser cannon.
    [​IMG]

Underside of the gun #2. Another view of the same thing
    [​IMG]

Front of the gun. It looks like an injection point that doesn't exist on my vintage FM dual laser cannon.
    [​IMG]

I'm interested in all your thoughts and ideas, thanks in advance!

2. alldarker

alldarker M.A.S.K. Crusader

News Credits:
    Looks fake. Looks a bit like one of Darkov's but I might be mistaken.

3. Tridecaphi

Ebay:
    I have a darkov GM repro and it's definitely not one of his. The one I have from him is obvious it's not real because the ends of the barrels are the injection points and there is no seem across them. It also doesn't have the residue along the base of the handle like this.

4. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    How's the texture of the plastic, does it feel cheap at all? My original fluorescent have those mold lines around it like that, and definitely no sprue points in the front line that. I'd say either a lo or repro.

5. Tridecaphi

Ebay:
    It feels exactly like my original. The color is identical too. It's that sprue/injection point in the front and the excess molding underneath that points to it definitely being fake, IMO.

6. lee9

lee9 Well-Known Member

No homemade repro can color match exactly. Even official reissues can have noticeably different color. If you have an original to color-match it with, I say that's the definitive test.

7. Tridecaphi

Ebay:
    It's the EXACT same color, but it's without a doubt a repro. There are little injection circles I didn't see the first time on the underside outside rim that my original doesn't have. Here is a picture of the two of them together, the fake is on the left:
    [​IMG]

Here's the same picture with the differences circled in red on the fake, I didn't even realize, the biggest difference is the plastic cross bars, they don't go all the way to the top and aren't are thick:
    [​IMG]

8. Tridecaphi

Ebay:
    It's actually a very high quality repro, outside of the one blemish between the two barrels it's identical from the top. Once you flip it over though, it's pretty obvious. I've contacted the seller and he said it came with a FM that he bought just for spike and cerebros and was just selling off the rest. Sounds feasible, so far he's offered to refund my money, we'll see how that goes.

9. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 PlastiqueBoutique.com Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I wonder if it might parts showing up from those alleged KOs that were supposed to be coming out. I noticed that since the Metrotitan KO, there don't seem to be any shortage of parts on eBay for him either.

10. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    personally those are tiny things to be nit picking....get your refund if you want...but i don't really think that gun looks bad...and as time goes by if that KO fort max gets made...good luck trying to find legit parts.

i think you are being a little over critical....unless you paid alot of $$$ for it.

11. Tridecaphi

Ebay:
    If this were for my own personal collection, I'd agree. I bought this to complete one of the FM's I'm trying to sell. I can't/won't sell it as vintage when I know it's not.

12. motorhead9999

motorhead9999 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And yet another reason why knockoffs and repros are killing things for legit collectors.

At least mark "repro" on a certain area that's not normally displayed visibly to make things easy for legit vintage collectors to decide and buy carefully.

But no, anyone like me arguing for this is deemed an elitist who should mind their own business.

13. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Fortress Maximus!

News Credits:
    wait, their already starting to KO Fort Max's guns/ cannons?

You don't sound like a Geewun Elitist to me! :lol 
    if anything I support your disdain for cheap and tasteless KO's and poorly made repros. Takes out half the joy of finding real and genuine G1 parts.

14. lee9

lee9 Well-Known Member

Why don't you look at other vintage cannons first? I still say you have a vintage piece, and you're putting your seller through unnecessary trouble. Tools, processes, and the paints themselves are different today than they were 20 years ago. I don't think it's physically possible to get a perfect color match. And if it were possible to get extremely close, it would take a highly professional operation, which I couldn't see devoting their time to Transformers reproparts.

15. Tridecaphi

Ebay:
    WSX, did you see the Galaxy shuttle link I posted on nicosmith's message board for you? I think the auction ends soon in case you were interested. I couldn't PM you about it.

16. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Fortress Maximus!

News Credits:
    :lol  funny you should mention that.. I am the one bidding on that Galaxy Shuttle! :D  But thanks for the heads up! :) 

17. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    ^This. I've seen G1 toys that had slight differences in stuff like this. They made so many toys back in the day, they often had more than one set of tooling to run the parts. All of these differences could have been from using a different mold. I'd find more authentic ones to compare to. If I had a Fort Max, I'd be happy to check those parts to compare. What color were those parts on Grand Max or Brave Max?

18. Computron34

Computron34 Butt + Hurt = TF Fans

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Already? I think they've been doing it for a while. I remember in '08 they were doing it, don't know if before then.

And Tride, if you are looking to get rid of it, I might be interested if it is indeed a KO. My RiD Brave Max is a little under-armed lol.

19. Tridecaphi

Ebay:
    I paid $46 for it and the seller has offered to take it back for a full refund, It's without a doubt a KO, I know a couple people think it's not, but it is. I have two vintage FMs (one I'm trying to sell, et hmm) and both cannons are identical to each other and this one has some significant differences from the underside.