Real men open their packages

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by OmegaDead, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Necrophon

Necrophon Speaker of Death TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    What you said.

2. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot You can, you up. No can, no BB.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I'm too lazy to open boxes, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. To me some toys just look better in the box, others I open. But when I see the collections thread and I see open old 80's TFs, I'm like pass. But when they are MIB or MISB it makes it so much more valuable to me.

3. ponycorn

ponycorn Member

I break down and open my TF boxes. I always use a razor though, in case I decide to keep some or all of the box.

Right now I'm planning on matt & framing the back of my MP Starscream box. Sometimes the box alone is worth displaying seperately.

4. T-money

T-money Cake is good

News Credits:
    I like to open mine up. I save a few boxes and store some figures in them when I'm done fiddlin' around, but most of them stay out and about.

5. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Um, no, real men that know about investing and appreciation leave them in package. If it got lost out of package during my childhood, chances are, itll get lost out of pachage during my child's childhood.

6. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

I personally try to buy one to open and one to keep MISB....so that I have a backup basically in case I break a toy I really like and they have gone up a lot in price (Classics Starscream for example).

7. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Other than transforming I like to pose 'em alot, and I clearly need 'em free to do that.

8. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    I like to do what I want with them, without having to justify it to anyone, especially someone I don't know on a forum. :) 

9. Crystine

Crystine Decepticons Forever

News Credits:
    I am a MISB collector primarily, but if I want to open a box and display the toy I will buy a second one to do that, so that way I get the best of both worlds. I do not MISB because I want to sell them one day. I will never ever sell them. I think it just comes down to the fact that I like to own a toy that has never been used, and that it is in the best possible condition, basically brand new. Just feels good to know I have that. But like I said I will get two of the same if I want to open one.

Funny thread title btw, but I would say that real men (and real women) do whatever the f they like. ;) 

10. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    "They look nicer in the box"-theory holds water unless 1) the said toy is blindboxed or 2) you consider the fact that you can still put it back into the box.

Both are good reasons to MIB, but not MISB.

11. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    TFs that I really like I'll get one MISB and one to open. Sometimes I'll get some that I only have MISB/MOSC versions of, mostly exclusives that either look really cool in the package (Wal-Mart exclusive BB vs. Barricade pack, for example), but for the most part I open the ones I get. If it looks cool in the package, or will potentially be worth a lot of money years from now (should I need to sell a few here and there) then I'll pick up an extra one to keep sealed. It's gotten really expensive, though, so I've been a lot more selective about what ones I end up getting two of. Animated, for example, I only plan on keeping a couple of those MOSC/MISB. Universe 2.0 might be tougher though...:tongue: 

Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
  12. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

No one has to have a 'good reason' to leave their toys MISB. Thats just one of the perks of ownership.

But you want 'valid' reasons,in my case, I have 4 MP Primes already on display therefore my MP-04 is MISB. There is absolutely no reason for me to open it other than to check for anything broken. Same goes for my spare MISB MP Megatron, which is my replacement in case something happens to my display.

13. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    In total agreement, this thread could've ended here, to each their own.

I was always awed as a child by how they TF'd. The engineering still really appeals to me, I love making the Kabaya kits.

14. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

Nothing is funnier than a toy collector saying someone else isn't a man, when most of the time we have to defend our hobbies BECAUSE WE COLLECT THINGS FOR CHILDREN. Don't question my manhood, it would end badly for you. And why do you give a shit what I do, I could not care less about what you do. A collection of MISB and Loose toys destroys a collection of only one anyway. Real men can afford to buy Multiples.

15. OmegaDead

OmegaDead Well-Known Member

seeker311 you are exactly my point when I talk about people buying toys as an "investment" and worry about $ appreciation. Toys are meant to be fun.

Takeshi357, I agree with your post the most. If you like the box, just be careful openining & you can put it back in later if you want. Toys are meant to be played with!

Again though, the "real men open packages" was just a play on words.

Also yes, if you paid for it you can do whatever you want with it but it doesn't make it right. "Won't someone please think about the children"

16. Blue Meanie

F#@$ the children

:lol 
    j/k

17. OmegaDead

Blue Meanie, for the (I don't know how many times) I've said it. The "man" thing was a joke but I guess you are some kind of internet tough guy or something. (If there is such a thing).

18. hutchprime

hutchprime Made of sterner stuff

News Credits:
    I have never been a MISB guy myself, but I have seen some really impressive MISB displays on this and other sites. To each his own...

19. Blue Meanie

There is nothing internet about me dude. But I was trying to be sarcastic, not hostile, if it came off that way I apologize, but I stand by everything I said because you have defended what you said.

20. OmegaDead

Fair enough, peace