Customs: Real life size Boombox/Casette SOUNDWAVE

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by G60Force, Mar 3, 2011.

1. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    Hi I'm trying to find out if it's possible:
    [​IMG]

2. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

It'll almost certainly be possible; the larger size of a normal cassette will give you more room to mess around with mechanics. But also bear in mind that you probably won't be able to translate the design of a G1 microcassette up to the larger format, because the proportions are different; in particular, I think the larger cassettes are thinner relative to the height and width.

Would you attempt to use actual cassettes, or scratchbuild the 'bots to resemble them?

3. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

the simple solution to that would be to thicken up the tapes to the correct scale. my thought is to make a thin cover plate that resembles the tape, but then have it pop off so you have a decent looking tape bots from all sides (instead of the tape label being on one side) And once you gut that thing you could even stack several of them deep in the chest. :) 

Do it man! this needs to be done. Actually, I think the biggest challenge could be getting the curvy boombox to have soundwaves boxy look. but it could be done.

4. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

I forget if it was Takara or Hasbro that made it, likely Takara, but the was a version of G1 Soundwave that came with headphones and a Rumble, all of which actually worked. Even Rumble.

If you're working with real cassettes, which are even bigger, then there should be no problems, engineering wise.

5. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    Yeah... thnx guys.. I night not even go for the boxy look, but then again, the box look is easier to work work with... I did find one that was more squared than this one, but it looked more like blaster and if this works I do want blaster + minions (and of course soundwave's)

6. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Thin it, not thicken it. Like I said, the larger cassettes are proportionately thinner than the micros.

A normal cassette has double the width and height of a microcassette. But it's barely any thicker at all. By my measurements, where a microcassette is about 8mm thick, a normal cassette is mostly 9mm thick, with the trapezoid bit at the base still only taking it out to 12mm.

7. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

Oh sorry, I was thinking more along the lines of thickening it so the bot modes aren't as thin. thats my only complaint of the cassetes, they look like they got flattened. but some decent articulation in the limbs should take care of that though.

I agree with what you are saying though. the micros are different proportions.

Randy!