Real Gears: Real Cool or Real Crap?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Sherade, Dec 15, 2007.

1. Sherade

Sherade Ford Boy

I've seen a lot of debate over the real gear line, and I wanted to get some more opinions on it. Personally, I love the line, it's a nice little thing with some great molds going for it.
    But this is about your opinons, so get to it!

2. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Spyshot and Meantime are awesome. Highscore is underwhelming. The rest are quite cool considering the size. My :2c: 

3. ActionMasterZod

ActionMasterZod LarzArz on twitter, man.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The real gear line has some great molds in it (The camera, phone, video camera) But as of lately it has turned to crap with no new molds and way to many repaints.

4. LoC Soundwave

LoC Soundwave 俺の魂は燃えていない!

News Credits:
    I absolutely love the real gear line and own one of each mold that has come out in Sweden so far. There's just too much to love with them. And for once the bots and cons are equal (not counting repaints)

5. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Have you seen the LOLGear thread?

6. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    The sub-line is awesome imo. The many repaints aren't a bad thing to me, it just gives us more options to pick from if we don't like the color of the origional. They also make great kitbash fodder.

7. stevez0r

stevez0r Well-Known Member

I think the real gear is crap from the minute I saw them. It's Hasbro creating another profit from the success of Transformers.

8. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    It's awesome. Not all the toys are great, and there's too many repaints, but the concept is great. We've finally, at last, got some TFs who turn into everyday objects again! Been waiting for that for a long time.

9. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

I would say go for it. The real gears are a neat concept that works out really well. I don't have the repaints, though.

10. Sherade

Sherade Ford Boy

When my parents saw Power Up VT6, they though it was a real handheld. I like th line for the price, and the poseability of these guys is amazing.
    And, to tell the truth, I think some of the repaints are better than the originals.

11. Sycia

Sycia Draconian Faction

As a previous poster said, check out the LOLgear thread : )

On one hand they're a real novelty, on the other, I kind of wish their transformations were a tad more thought-out, or at least more impressive. Only gotten one and its repaint so far (Booster 10x and Night Beat 7).

My younger brother actually thought Booster 10x was my new MP3 player! And he was wondering why it had a Bluetooth earpiece :lol 

12. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Not all of the figures are great(high score... he went in the trash after breaking), but a lot of them are pretty cool. Booster, spyshot, meantime, the cellphone(cant remember the name, and he's on my desk at work) are awesome. People are for more likely to walk by my desk and start screwing around with realgears(caught someone with the phone and meantime making them fight with sound effects.. wtf) than they are the movie deluxes I have on my desk.

When a $6 toy can make a 40 something year old dude start going "pew pew pew boom!" and you have to shoo them away because you're on the phone, I'd call that a success.

13. Sycia

Sycia Draconian Faction

:lol 
    Now THAT'S a story!

14. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Profit is the only reason Transformers or any product, for that matter, exists on the market. Real gear was a great subline to tie in with the movie. I admit that some of the designs are less than stellar, but as someone else said for the price point they're very nice.

15. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Real Gears are transformers... so they're profitting from their own success? Isn't that close to the difinition of success?

I think they're pretty good, a couple I am underwhelmed with but for the size I think they're pretty good.

16. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    The idea was brilliant, but poorly executed in a few of them. Not a huge fan of the Binoculars or Game Console (hate it - someone want mine?). The Phone is surprisingly cool, the Camera is bad@$$, I'm using the MP3 player as my "Masterpiece" Laserbeak (looks nice with MP Megs). The Watch is neat, as is the Game Controller, and the Camcorder is decent.

17. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I love the RG line and plan on buying every repaint simply because I have a sinking feeling that there will never be any new molds and this is the best we can get. I plan on enoying the fact that I can try to be a completist with it.

18. Veloxiraptor

Veloxiraptor Moé than Meets the Eye

News Credits:
    I really haven't been impressed with them. They cost as much as Scouts and are generally much less involved. A lot of them are too small to create the illusion they intend. Really the only one I've been totally satisfied with is High Score, because he's poseable, cool-looking, and even has an Automorph bit. And Booster is decent, but he sucks at standing up, and I hate how the earbud doesn't attach to anything in the altmode.

And both of those were designed by the same guy...

19. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I've really liked the line so far. It's a good cheap toy, and works well with little kids.

20. Reeds

Reeds Q-Wing Pilot TFW2005 Supporter

Its a role-play line for kids to have secret robot companions at their full scale. Now, it's okay, but if I was 9, it would be the coolest thing. It's a great idea.