Real Gear Wave 5

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by misterd, Feb 25, 2008.

1. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

Just got these in today via an Amazon retailer.

Preface: I am winding down my toy collection (I think it'd been 2 months since my last figure) and am just grabbing the last of the movie figs at the moment. I think the RG figures may have been my favorite part of the movie line, so I'm making sure to grab as many of these as I can. I just like the "Classic Soundwave/Reflector" nature of them, and the simple yet fun TF configurations - you don't need to set aside an afternoon to transform the figures (unlike some toys I know).

Farsight T-20
    A blue repaint of Longview, my favorite of the original RG figures. Altmode is a pair of digital binoculars, and the robot mode has exaggerated proportions that look like it'd fit right in with the Animated line. Articulation is as good as one could expect for a basic figure - ball joint shoulder, universal hip w/ swivel, hinge knees and elbows, restricted neck ball joint (little better than a swivel). A waist swivel would have been nice, but it's not reall missed either.

Farsight is not quite a straight up recolor, but essentially the yellow and black with silver highlights is replaced by blue and gray with black highlights. This creates an overall more subdued color scheme, which is fine, but lacks the "pop" of Longview. I also don't think it translates as well to the alt mode (I've see yellow binocs, but I can't recall blue). As far as deco changes, there is no name label, and the red Autobot symbol is replaced by a much larger (about twice the total area) white symbol that stands out well on the blue chest. Lastly, the viewscreen sticker is new - Movie Prime and Movie Bumblebee in a green field. Like Longview, the sticker is upside down.

Grade: B-. A great mold, but Longview has the better color scheme IMO.

Midnighter XR4
    A grey and black repaint of RG watch Meantime. Looking at the online pics, I didn't see the point as the color schemes (mostly gray) looked similar, but in person the differences are much more obvious.

Watch mode is a bit wonky, but about as effective as you could get for a watchformer. The main part of the watch is fine, and could likely fool a casual observer at first glance, but the watch band is excessively thick.

Robot mode is a fairly basic humanoid with a digital clock in his chest (very G1 to me). Very good articulation, partly due to transformation hinges - ball and socket hips and shoulder, as second shoulder hinger, upper arm and leg swivels, and a swivel neck. Large feet with side and rear spurs gives great stability for poses.

Color change - Unlike the other recolors, Midnighter appears to lose some color apps, but the overall effect is much improved. The orange trim is completely gone.The central body is now a light gray with black trim around the face. The three small windows are now a vibrant (metallic?) red, and the decepticon symbol is silver, and all of them really stand out well on the black b.g. Shoulders, hips and head are a medium gray - darker than the body but lighter than on Meantime. The arms and legs are a darker gray with a little black and silver trim. The silver face is nicely framed by a gray and black "helmet" and the red eyes (w/ light piping) is much brighter this time out.

As for the clock face itself, it is now a neutral gray-silver instead of Meantime's "pseudo-illuminated" blue. The time reads Tuesday, 7-26, 4:35PM.

Grade: B+ OK alt mode, solid robot mode, and a much improved color scheme. I wasn't a big fan of Meantime, but I really dig Midnighter.

Twitcher F451
    A Decepticon recolor of Autobot High Score, the video game controller/monkey bot.

Alt mode is a pretty convincing but not rights infringing Dual Shock homage, with D-pad, 2 analog sticks (movable), 4 face buttons and 2 shoulders, and start, pause and select buttons (I assume). Much too small to fool anyone, and the seams are pretty visible, but it's an effective replica.

Robot mode is essentially a gorilla bot. If that doesn't appeal to you... what's wrong with you? For me, monkey mode makes me very forgiving of some joint restrictions in the shoulders and hips (though he can do the classic "beat on chest" pose"). Even with these restrictions, the sculpt an joints allow for some very nice dynamic poses.

The problem with Twitcher is that he's green. Basically a neutral green torse, olive hips and shoulders, and lime green head, arms and legs with black and gold trim. The green may work well for gamma-mutated superheroes, but not so much as a video game controller (yes, I know of the Halo Green 360, which went over like a lead balloon at E3'07). In monkey mode the green compares favorably to the original due to some extra gold paint apps, but the original's contrast still works a little better.

Grade: B+ Still a solid mold (especially monkey mode). While I prefer the original, the margin is pretty small.

2. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

AND YES, I KNOW :useless 

3. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I think the RG line started out great, and was a great concept with tons of promise....but they introduced what, two new molds outside of the first wave or two? It suffered HEAVILY from being very very repaint heavy, espescially with some of the molds receiving multiple repaints while others received none (espescially since some of them didn't even change factions when repainted, did we really need ANOTHER Autobot Longview?). If there were more molds I feel it would have been much better and held my interest longer.

Meh, just a rant I guess. Nice review by the way. Like the looks of some of these repaints and of the molds I don't have..I may go for this wave then try and find the older ones.

4. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    But what about the LOLgears?! :lol 

I agree, though, we got hosed with repaints in the RG line. They were all great little figures....the FIRST time.

5. Ray Kremer

Ray Kremer Well-Known Member

We get hosed with repaints in EVERY line. Even the dinky FABs have the scores of obligatory repaints.

As I read this thread, it's the first I've heard of this wave. Usually some photos turn up on the TF news sites long before anybody gets their hands on them.