Real Gear Power Up VT6

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Rewind, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Got this little bugger today and thought I'd toss out some quick thoughts and some very crummy photos.

Thoughts:

As a handheld gaming device it's a little small, but that doesn't neccessarily make it unrealistic. I mean, people play games on cell phones and this thing isn't smaller than those. Aside from the size, it looks 'real' and holds together very well. The controller and buttons operate like real buttons, meaning you can push them in. The screenshot is sort of lame, but serviceable. I can't wait to make a Pong sticker for the screen.

Transformation is very simple, yet still interesting and fun. It's got some interior gears so when you start tugging on something the whole works starts moving. It's pretty neat, but I'd like the toy just the same without the gimmick. It gets a little troublesome with the shoulders as you have to push them up really hard to click them into place in order for the head to rise all the way.

Bot mode looks awesome and is articulated nicely. Shoulders, elbows, hands, ball hips, knees and neck. The head is attached by a regular peg with a very tiny ridge on it, so it's easy to slide on and off. This is excellent news for customizers who are thinking of putting a new head on. I was going to pop Daiperwave's head onto the body because it's the same scale and would look awesome, but it's too fat to slide into the chest cavity. VT6 has a pretty slim head, so finding a match may be difficult. Not that the original head is that terrible, it's fine aside from that ectoplasmic green face. The green eyes are cool, though, and the light piping is very bright.

The bio for this guy is great:

"As dangerous as he is slick looking, Power Up VT6 is a master of manipulation. Able to connect to any data source within range, he specializes in deleting important information. Few Decepticons are as frustrating to have around. Be careful when interacting with him; special receptors in his screen can scramble your brain right through your eyeballs."

LOL

Overall I like him quite a bit and he's the perfect size to slip into a small pocket and carry around with me so i can take him out when I my hands need a fiddle fix.

Pics:

[​IMG]
    Size comparison with Nintendo Game Cube Wavebird contoller
    [​IMG]
    Transformation...
    [​IMG]
    Still transforming...
    [​IMG]
    Front
    [​IMG]
    back
    [​IMG]
    Side
    [​IMG]
    Size comparison with Classics Bumblebee
    [​IMG]
    And shaking hands with cousin Soundwave

If anyone has any pic requests I can try to post them.

2. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    Awwww, They're friends.
    Cool pics. The little guys looks pretty cool. I still want the IPOD Laserbeak.

3. Drax

Drax The Dark Light

That guy is pretty kool? hows his paint job on a scale of 1 to 10? haha

4. Rewind

News Credits:
    The piant is great. It's all neat and clean. The black is matte and looks like black plastic. The grey matches the grey plastic nicely. And the green, well, it bugged me until I realized that it's combination with the purple was reminiscent of EVA-01 from Evangelion, then I let is slide. It does look rather garish on the face though.

The bio for this guy is great:

"As dangerous as he is slick looking, Power Up VT6 is a master of manipulation. Able to connect to nay data source within range, he specializes in deleting important information. Few Decepticons are as frustrating to have around. Be careful when interacting with him; special receptors in his screen can scramble your brain right through your eyeballs."

LOL

5. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'll scramble your brain right through your EYEBALLS.

:lol 

Definitely will pick him up, Real Gear looks like a winner line for me thus far.

6. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    man they got some wackos writing these bios of recent. as highlighted also in my cls devy bio thread.

i approve.

7. Drax

Drax The Dark Light

Rofl what kinda bio is that, they will definately have to change it since mothers will be complaining about the brains "through your eyeballs" quote.

8. Rewind

News Credits:
    Got that nasty sticker off, applied a better one (although it doesn't make sense for a game system) and now VT6 thinks he's all that.
    [​IMG]

But Daiperwave still has some fight left in him...if that's what you can call it....
    [​IMG]

9. Drax

Drax The Dark Light

lol but why would you change the sticker dude? now hes not a game, hes a newer uglier version of soundwave!

10. Rewind

News Credits:
    I didn't like the game sticker that was on it at all. I had this cassette sticker sitting around and it just happened to be the right size, and I always thought VT6 was similar to Soundwave, so there you go.

I'm sure this sticker wont stay on him, either. With such a flat open space to work with it's going to be fun putting different images on this guy. :) 

11. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    What you want to do is make a clear plastic pocket or something so you can change the image on his chest without leaving sticker gunk on him every time you change it, and have little slides printed up with different games on them to go in there. You could have him playing things like Valkyrie Profile Lenneth or Final Fantasy VII Crisis Core.

12. Drax

Drax The Dark Light

That is a good idea Sol. im guessing thats how you will modify youres, if you happen to get one?

13. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I've already decided mine'll be playing DOOM if I ever do something like this :ev: 

14. Rewind

News Credits:
    Not a bad idea, although that sounds too complicated for someone of my limited skills. Hell, it's all I can do to put a sticker on straight. I don't mind the sticker gunk that much either. It only took my about 20 seconds with lighter fluid and a Q-tip to get the gunk off this guy. And he had some serious gunk.

I'd love to see the pocket idea though.

15. Rewind

News Credits:
    After having this guy a month, I just wanted to post an update and say how I've played with this TF probably more than any other because of it's great portability and simple yet fun transformation. I've actually slipped this guy into my pocket and taken him to work with me. It's very slim and there are no wheels or wings or anything else sticking out so it's a great pocket toy.

I can't wait to get the rest of the line. I see myself filling a pair of cargo pants with all of them and walking around the office grinning sheepishly because nobody can tell I'm a grown man whos person is entirely populated with toys. :D 

16. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

I just ordered VT6, and I'm wondering if someone can take a picture next to a GBA or Nintendo DS.

17. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Just got 'im.

Very small in gameboy mode, certainly way smaller than the average handheld game machine (approx. 4.5 inches/11 cm wide), but it definitely looks the part. Size-wise, it's probably closer to one of those little tablet/caplet handhelds with 20 or so built-in games. The "automorph" feature is pretty neat, doing the majority of the work for you. Robot mode is simple but nice, and very Soundwave-esque. Personally, I prefer to turn the legs around so the scoop-like feet face backward, and the smooth gameboy sides (with little foot-like tabs) in front instead. Looks a little nicer to me.

18. Jake Steel

Jake Steel Banned

I really wish the insides of his legs were black, like in the photo on the back of the package, rather than the grey. I am also going to make a sticker showing som mario or megaman action to go in the spot of jetfire's generic videogameness.

19. wavelength

wavelength Well-Known Member

i personally would of prefered a blank 'off' screen

20. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    The only problem i had was the head took a few tries to pop up during the transformation...as soon as I finally got it in bot mode I like it...super cartoony and simplistic, but the articulation isn't bad and it looks pretty cool, even with the Cybertron character stickers.