Minor/Repaint: Real Gear Booster-beak, with neck articulation!

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by SMOG, Jun 17, 2007.

1. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

An extremely easy fix, though you need a drill to pull it off.

His head and neck are both separate pieces. I simply drilled a hole through the centre of his neck and the connector for the head. I fed a length of elastic (hair elastics from the dollar store) through the holes, pulled them taut, and knotted them at each end. In transformation, you just need to pull the pegs out at each section of the neck, and the tension from the elastic keeps them in place.

At first I was trying to figure out how to glue in ball-jointing while not affecting the transformation, but I realized that an elastic would do the trick just fine.

I also notched the edges of each hole I drilled, so it'll be easier for him to hold his head and neck at certain angles. After finishing this, it occurred to me that a flexible wire instead of elastic would have made the joints more solid, but for now, this works nicely.

zmog

2. chubbzilla

chubbzilla One shall stand...

cool i like the shape of the neck on that great job

3. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That looks so much better.

4. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    Awesome!!

5. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    yay! ill do it too once i get a spare boosterbeak.

6. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

That looks really good. I may have to try that.

Man, it drives me nuts that this figure wasn't made with an articulated neck to begin with. If it had had one, and had come with stickers for the screen and buttons, it would have been one of the coolest little transformers around. As is, it's just mid-level.

7. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

When you talked about flexible wire, are you talking about the wire that they use to keep the toy in place in the package, so it doesn't get damaged. That kind of wire right, or am wrong all well. But what you did for Booster Beak is impressive. Nice.

8. SMOG

!!!!!

YES... that is EXACTLY the kind of wire I was thinking of. That's hilarious... here I was pondering where I could find a bendy wire with a plastic coating, and meanwhile, I'm removing tons of them every time I open a transformer!

Thanks man! It may have been the most obvious thing in the world, but you just made my day. :) 

However, interestingly enough, Real Gears are about the only TFs I can think of these days who are actually NOT packaged with those wire ties. Fortunately, I have tons of them kicking around.

zmog

9. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    Any chance you could take some close ups of the underside, so we can see how everything's hooked up?

10. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    That is a nice upgrade.....his lack of neck articulation was the only thing I was bummed about....but looks like you've fixed that....and I'm with the rest....can we get some pics of what was done?....I'd like to do the same with mine. :thumb 

11. Quantum

Quantum Oh good

Ditto! You just made my day with this mod. Can't wait for the tutorial so my Booster-beak can actually look anywhere other than straight ahead. Thanks dude!

12. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    AWESOME!

*runs out to buy Boosterbeak*

13. Ezilla82

You're welcome SMOG, I was being creative one day and started collecting these plastic coating bendy wire and use to create a character from an old PS2 game, War of the monsters, the character was a Kineticlops, in which its a entity with one eye and the body is made from electricity. Unfortuately I dissmantle it cause I was having so much fun with it. But anyways when I get the chance to buy booster I'll use this hint, Thanks Smoggy.

14. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Ditto. I'm not quite clear on how you did that, but I'm rather intrigued!

15. SMOG

Heh... I forgot that a lot of folks don't already have this figure, so my description could be a bit ambiguous.

It's really pretty straightforward... This is what he looks like with his neck fully collapsed. This is how he is out of the package. His head and neck are 2 separate pieces that simply peg into each other and then into the body, so a lot of the work is already done. You can see here that the elastic runs through the neck.
    [​IMG]
    Now that I've pulled the neck out of it's pegged-in position, you can see the elastic better. I drilled a hole clear through the neck, from the peg that goes into the body, to the socket for the head.
    [​IMG]
    Next I drilled a hole in the head's peg too. I fed the elastic through all the sections, and knotted it inside the hollow of the head so it would be anchored.

Then I knotted it on the other end and anchored it inside the body by loosening a screw and screwing it tight again with the elastic clamped inside. Now the whole neck area is strung through, body to head.
    [​IMG]

This way, when you unpeg the neck, it all stays together. The tension from the elastic pulls the pieces taut against each other. I also notched each peg with a file. These notches act as guides for the elastic, so when you bend the neck at an angle, it tends to stay in place.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I hope these pictures help make it clear, but feel free to ask questions...

zmog

16. Cobra_Commander

Cobra_Commander Master of tactics TFW2005 Supporter

wow thats a huge improve ment and im suprised how easy it sounds to do

17. Ezilla82

It's so easy a caveman can do it. My bad, but hey this hint will help some of us with that problem.

18. SMOG

To be fair, it's simple, but it's not that easy. :) 

Not only is it really only feasible with a drill tool, also I confess I spent a surprisingly long time fiddling with the elastic and trying to get it threaded and knotted in the right places. I suggest that you guys try it with the wire. I suspect that will be a lot faster and more effective.

zmog

19. thoughtcrime

thoughtcrime Well-Known Member

Very nice work! I don't have him yet but I may try that when I pick him up, depends on how brave I feel that evening!

20. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    The elastic is a genius solution!