Ready to kill

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TheIncredibleHulk, Apr 1, 2008.

1. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

Found out some bad news today.

As I was leaving for work today, there was a card taped to my door. It was from a deputy, trying to contact my landlord. So I called the deputy real quick to see what was up, and to give him my landlord's address and phone number. I asked him if it had anything to do with the house. He said that he didn't have the papers on his desk but its possible it could be a forecloser.

My wife called the landlord while I was at work, to see what was up. He called her back and told her that the house is being foreclosed and that we have to get out. Doesn't know how long we have, said we could buy the house from him for $80k

We've been here since Nov. He never gave us a lease. I've been asking him for one since then. Every time I mention it, I get an excuse. "I misplaced it", "I forgot to send it" We've paid him rent every month, and gave him a security deposit. Apparently, he wasn't using the rent for the mortgage, and we'll probably never see our security deposit again.

What pisses me off the most is that I don't think the motherfucker was going to let us know. Someone would have just knocked on the door, and said "Get out". I'm ready to mapquest his address, since he lives an hour away, and hit him with a baseball bat. Fucking pisses me off!!!!!!!

Not sure what we're going to do yet. We love the house, and might try to buy it, just not sure how yet. Our credit isn't exactly perfect right now. If it is foreclosed, then we might be able to get it cheaper than buying it from him. The wife found someone that said he can help us buy it, but we have to come up with about $8k. Not sure how we'll find that yet....

I swear, if it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't any luck at all!

2. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    your landlord is a fucking douchebag, you have my sympathy man.

3. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    Two options as I see it.

You can contact the deputy and the city and see if there are any back taxes owed. In SOME instances you can "clear" a property by paying the back taxes on some homes, in some states. This would also clear (I think) the foreclosure status for you yet the original owner would be responsible for the amount.

The other option is going to be a lot tougher. Get an attorney and find ALL of your available paperwork for rent payments and everything else related to the property. You can either outright sue the landlord OR you could try taking him to a public small claims court like Judge Judy, Judge Alex, Judge Christine or any of those other venues. If he is forced to pay, it would come out of a general fund and not "hurt" him directly. BUT it would show up on him as having had a judgment against him. Plus, either way (as long as you are 100% professional during the proceeding) he'd look like the asshole he is.

Also, on a side note there is no such thing as "luck." We are given the cards we are dealt in life, and it is up to us to learn how to play them. I've learned that some of my cards are low cards, and others are high cards and it was the way the Dealer gave them to me. I'm learning better on how to deal with those cards and know which ones I can discard or when to even fold and let the Dealer take over. ;) 

Last edited: Apr 1, 2008
  4. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    In the UK if that happened you could claim sitting tenancy.

5. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Hopefully you can turn around and buy it, it could work out to your benefit.

6. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    man that sucks, but if you could get the house for 80 that sounds like a killer deal, if possible. and i would look into the taxes thing, that might be a good deal too...

7. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Man, that sucks. Yeah, contact a lawyer, see what you can do.

But DAMN! $80k for a house? I didn't know you could get houses that cheap anymore. Cheapest ones out here (1-2 bedroom ranch style houses) go for about $250k

8. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Don't buy until he discloses everything to you. He could give it to you for 80K and then you find out he's left you with other things that need to be paid. I'd talk to the cop and see what he can tell you about the situation before making any decisions. He could also take the money and run so be careful.

9. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    This sounds like a case for the people's court......

10. Kupp

Kupp Ford Fanboy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

It depends on the market. My Girlfriend and I paid $160k for 1500 square feet, 3 bedroom, 1.5 bath, with hard wood floors in the entire house.

It all depends on the local market.

11. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

My wife's calling around trying to see what our options are. The mortgage guy she talked to wants $12k down and it'll be $770 a month. Not sure we can afford that right now.

12. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    This certainly sounds like something worth bringing to court, man. There's absolutely no reason you should just chalk this up to bad fortune and leave it there.

13. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Formerly Leader Blackout TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Agreed, except don't go on one of those TV courts. Those people are really special.

My wife and I are going to buy a house here in Birmingham, and the ones we found are around 100-120. It is definitely a buyer's market right now, and many of the homes we are looking at are nicer than my Mom's home in Florida, which is about 50K more. As Kupp said, it is all about the local market.

14. Paladine

Paladine Well-Known Member

I feel your pain, but moving in without a physically signed lease was a horrible idea.

15. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Agreed.

16. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

True some land might go for a $10k a acer while others at half a acer go for twice that amount.

Around here a few years back I've seen some house go for around the $80-$95k range.

Sounds like you wife found someone to help finance the house for you,if so you should make sure at the least that your principle will be close to half of what you settle for on monthly payments.(I know some who pay $500 a month,but only $50 goes to the principle and the rest to intrest.)
    And that they won't come kicking the door down on the first last/missed payment.

But yeh it sounds like you shouldn't trust your landlord here.

17. BadJeff

BadJeff Bite my shiny metal ass!

Sorry for your situation. Man that's gotta be a royal pain in the ass. $80k would be a dream here in Calgary..average house is around $400k

18. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Same goes for the US, depending on the state.

Look up landlord/tenant law in your state. Chances are you have a 'lease' by virtue of having lived there--and in my experience, the law tends to favor the tenant. Getting your security deposit back will take some work, but it's probably pretty doable.

Oh, and STOP PAYING RENT NOW.

19. Tatooineboy

Tatooineboy Active Member

Ebay:
    That is a horrible situation which I hope you get resolved. It isn't any fun to be forced to move. But I'm a firm believer in Karma, so what goes around will come around for your landlord.

And yes, it depends on the locale for housing. Here in Cleveland, we have one of the highest rates of foreclosures in Ohio. So, it really is a buyers market if you have the money.